Post Date: 2015-03-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: OMG virus/malware issue. OS issue. ETC
    Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 7:22pm
Hi all. Yes this is long. Sigh.

I got my friend a Vanquish 2 level 1 last year.

It came with W8 and he installed the free McAfee software.
Ok he doesn't game on this computer. Lets just say it's something Men look at(rhymes with corn) as well as social sites etc. These sites are some of the worst for virus and malware as we all know. He started having a LOT of issues with crap. So I went to his house and cleaned his computer a few times. I don't like McAfee at all and use ESET which I recommended to him(he didn't install ESET).
Ok so it got bad and he wanted to change his HDD and was freaking out. I told him it's not the HDD but the malware etc. on the programs that are corrupted. His computer was full of viruses.
I suggested we wipe the HDD and reinstall W7 Pro(because I loath W8 and I'm the one working on his crap) for the OS and I buy him ESET and I also bought him an external HDD for a backup.
Ok so that was last night I did this.
And we couldn't get back on the internet because we needed new drivers for the software.
And he freaked out. Bad. He works days and I work nights so I didn't have time to really talk to the cable company(Cox) and see if they could do something on there end(he had to go to sleep). He worked today and came home and called Cox.
They told him his computer was all messed up and that he should send it back to be fixed because I got rid of important stuff when I reformatted the HDD. Now he is beyond angry etc. and he wants to get rid of the computer and buy a new one!!!!

No I am not a computer/IT person by trade. I had a problem similar to his(virus) a few years ago and did reformat the HDD and reinstall a new OS and it was beautiful with no issues.

Did I screw up? Am I a complete idiot? Should I call DS and see if they can do a remote fix? It needs driver up dates. Thats all. When I left last night from his home everything was good except we couldn't get online. Is it Cox? I told my friend that it might be an IP issue, could that be the problem? Should I bring his system to my house and see if I can get online and I use Cox?

I will say this. I will never help anybody again with computer issues. Good grief.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 8:05pm
Just out of curiosity did he not download adblock? I mean if you want to look at "corn" then i mean you need a little protection from the ads that can plague a computer with viruses.

On a more serious note you can probably call DS and see what they can do or take it to a local pc repair shop.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 8:29pm
As near as I know there is no special software that Cox uses. The computer should default to "obtain IP address automatically". The DNS server is his router first, then Cox.

Did you reset the router? Unplug power cord and everything from the router for about 5 minutes. Plug things back in in this order - cable coax, power cord, once the router resets then plug in Ethernet from computers, phone, and if wireless antennae is used as a plug-in to the router - plug that in last.

If the format and install went well, just no internet, this should do it unless Cox needs drivers for their side. If that is the case they should be able to provide it. Although it sounds to me like Cox took the easy way out because they didn't know exactly what you did.

Windows should download any other drivers (enough to get you started) and you can update as necessary from there.

For his anger, tell him his ignorance caused it - and if he wants a new computer to buy one and you will take this one back home and find a good use for it there.

hope this helps.

PS: Three of the top 'corn' sites have been hacked in the last month. Corn is expensive in more ways than one. : )

Edited by Pacesetter - 07 Mar 2015 at 8:31pm
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 3:51am
If Pacesetters reset doesn't help, then sounds like a missing Realtek LAN driver.    If he has a network icon in lower right of task bar, right click and Repair.

If no icon, go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Network connections again, right click and Repair.

Device Manager, click on network adapters and see if Realtek, if that's the one used depending on your mobo, right click and Repair or uninstall. Reboot and let Windows attempt to fix it.

Boot with Windows CD and run Repair. It might find a missing file.

Or, Google his mobo model number for Lan driver, download it on your rig to a memory stick and take it to his rig for install.

Good luck. Trying to fix others computers can be , shall we say, stressful.

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Mar 2015 at 3:56am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 5:47am
Thank you for all your replys.   

AK. Girl I will do that as a last resort calling DS.

Pacesetter. Thank you!!!! I will do everything you suggested.

Also after getting off from work tomorrow morning I am going to his place and picking up the computer. I told him I would fix it Wednesday when Im off. I'm finally getting 10 days off. We have been so busy at the hospital and I haven't had a break since last August. Whew. So I will get to his computer and have time to play with my Behemoth Laptop.

bprat22 you sir are such a doll! When I read that about using a memory stick I was absolutely blow away. That something that simple yet I never would have thought of that. You are someone I have never met yet you touch my heart. Bp you "pay it forward" selflessly and without fame. You come on these forums and graciously give your time and energy to answer NOOBs like me. I thank you.
I strive now in my life to really "pay it forward". To give back to people what was given to me. To teach.
But I will be honest and say I still yell at Residents sometimes(they need a kick in the butt).

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 6:58am
Thanks, RPGer.  Big%20Smile     Always a pleasure.  Awesome

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 8:50am
You're welcome RPGer.

and......Bprat for Pres in 2016!!

Vanquish II Ultimate.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 9:01am
LOL  If I'm elected, I promise everyone all the free beer and pretzels they can eat. 

Or shots and nuts, if that's your preference.  Big%20Smile  
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 9:09am
Throw in Reese's cups and you have my vote!   

Vanquish II Ultimate.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 8:36pm
Tomorrow I attempt to fix his computer. Tonight it's the Behemoth that gets played.
Beer and a pretzel sounds good!

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Tomorrow I attempt to fix his computer. Tonight it's the Behemoth that gets played...

Good choice.  Fun with your new toy should come first.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:16am
Ok everything is fixed. It needed drivers. I reinstalled ESET for him and bought Driver Reviver. No issues. I will take back his Vanquish later after sending him a video and telling him to stick it.
Something funny. When I was downloading all 200 of his updates, it was taking forever. I am SO used to having speedy downloads. Boy can you see the difference between a cheaper system and the best. Wow. I actually yelled at the Vanquish "hurry up"! He so owes me.

Thanks again everybody!!!   

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:31am
Awesome job, RPGer.   Awesome      You do good work.     Big%20Smile

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:50am
You yelled at a Vanquish?! {sniff} But, but he was running as fast as he can! {sniff}

(*whispers*: it's ok, I won't let the lady with all the toys yell at you, my little Vanquish..)

Well done! Give that Vanquish to a good home....   
 Post Reply Post Reply