FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Only one fan spinning on graphics card

Post Date: 2016-12-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joseph88772 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Only one fan spinning on graphics card
    Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:40pm
Hello everybody. I recently got my new apollo machine. So far everything seems to be working fine. However, I'm noticing that only one fan is spinning on my evga 1070 graphic card. The other one seems to be stuck because it is wobbling back and forth as though it wants to be free. IS the card suppose to do this? IS there anything I need to do. Or do I need to send it back and get a new one?

Do I need to open my computer up and flick the fan?

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:29pm
Nevermind. The other fan kicked in once I benchmarked rise of the tomb raider. I guess it is a feature right? I shouldn't be worried if one or both fans stop or start twitching?

This is my first computer where I can see all of my parts through the window, for better or worse. I need to stop being paranoid lol.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 2:44am
I believe you have the EVGA gtx 1070 ACX which has a custom cooler that turns the fans on only when needed.   It's their 0db fan feature that only kicks them on at about 64c under load.   I would think they both work in tandem but depends how they're wired so to speak.    If they both come on then I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:52am
Hell, you'll probably notice no fan running from time to time as you're just surfing the web.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:54am
I will say this.. monitor your EVGA GTX 1070's temperatures very closely. The FTW and SC variants of the 1070 and 1080 had some terrible QA oversight where they didn't put thermal pads as they "thought the backplate and heatsinks would make enough contact to disperse the heat... They don't.

EVGA has acknowledged this and will either let you send your card into them to apply the pads or send you the pads to do yourself. Watch your cards if you're unsure on if you're has the pads or not. Depending how old DS stock is, it could be one of the ones without.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Meller

I will say this.. monitor your EVGA GTX 1070's temperatures very closely. The FTW and SC variants of the 1070 and 1080 had some terrible QA oversight where they didn't put thermal pads as they "thought the backplate and heatsinks would make enough contact to disperse the heat... They don't.

EVGA has acknowledged this and will either let you send your card into them to apply the pads or send you the pads to do yourself. Watch your cards if you're unsure on if you're has the pads or not. Depending how old DS stock is, it could be one of the ones without.

It looks like I have an SC card. Is there a way to tell if I have the pads without taking the card out? Also, digital storm stress tested my machine before sending it. Wouldn't they have noticed if the temps were a problem? I doubt they would put in a faulty component in right? I'm playing doom right now in 1080p and everything seems alright. However, I know im not pushing the card that hard with 1080p so it is hard to determine myself if the card can keep cool under pressure.

What software would you recommend me to use to measure temps? There are lots out there to choose.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Joseph88772

...What software would you recommend me to use to measure temps? There are lots out there to choose.
HWMONITOR, Speccy, RealTemp...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 2:37am
A good stress test for gpu is Unigine Heaven. It's free, pretty to look at while running and gives the graphics card a good workout.     

Use the HWMONITOR like Snaike posted and gpu temps should be in the 70's Centigrade or lower, maybe very low 80.

Let us know.   

I would think your November build missed the early issues Meller mentioned, but it's good to check temps either way.   

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Dec 2016 at 2:40am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 2:43am
Slight derail here... 1080/1070 cards ordered directly from EVGA this month (December) should have the problem corrected, right?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 3:09am
Not sure. A late as early November EVGA did release a Bios update to adjust fan curves to help with the heat issue.    If customers go to EVGA site they can type in the serial number to verify its status. It also explains how to check the card's current Bios.

If you're wanting to buy a card for Xmas, , I'm not sure what you'll get.    EVGA either way will give you excellent support.   They also have an exchange program for those uneasy with doing Bios updates.

Might want to contact them for the most recent status.    

pharmx View Drop Down

Quote pharmx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:23am
Affected cards:

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by pharmx

Affected cards:

Where can I find my number? If I call digital storm will they remember what they used? I do have an SC card if that matters.

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 11:17am
Also, my card has video bios version 86.04.3B.00.70. Am I good?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 12:19pm
The serial number is on a sticker on the card itself, usually the component side.

I believe the Bios version ending in .72 is what you want, but not 100%.   Supposedly, cards shipped after November 1st were good .   

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Dec 2016 at 12:26pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 12:29pm
The Bios update, if I recall, only changes the fan curve as a work around. If someone doesn't want to update, they can use MSI Afterburner or EVGA PRECISION to set your own fan curve under custom fan curve.

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The serial number is on a sticker on the card itself, usually the component side.

I believe the Bios version ending in .72 is what you want, but not 100%.   Supposedly, cards shipped after November 1st were good .   

I think I ordered my computer on the 19th. Also, wouldn't digital storm's engineers know about the whole evga situation seeing as they are computer enthusiasts themselves? I thought they stress test everything extensively before shipping the final product out. They wouldn't put in a bad gpu would they?

As for the serial number, the only way I'm going to read it is if I take the whole card out which I'm not willing to do right now. (still in new computer paranoid mode lol). There must be another way to find the number.

In all honesty, I wish I was ignorant of this whole thing. Right now everything seems to be running perfectly. I haven't used any benchmarks yet though because I'm worried that they might break my card. I heard that stuff like furmark could break your card and aren't really representative of everyday use.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 5:12pm
I uunderstand perfectly.   If it ain't broke don't fix it.     

You could do just a simple check for temps.    Run HWMONITOR while gaming and check the temps.   It is good to know so you can check occasionally to see if dust buildup, etc is starting to cause changes. You won't break it, even stress testing.

Temps for the CPU cores and gpu should be in the 70's C or lower under load. Even low 80 is not bad.   In the 90's you have an issue.

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 6:22pm

I uunderstand perfectly.   If it ain't broke don't fix it.     

You could do just a simple check for temps.    Run HWMONITOR while gaming and check the temps.   It is good to know so you can check occasionally to see if dust buildup, etc is starting to cause changes. You won't break it, even stress testing.

Temps for the CPU cores and gpu should be in the 70's C or lower under load. Even low 80 is not bad.   In the 90's you have an issue.

I did download msi afterburner. I played just cause 3 (max settings 60 fps) for around 15 minutes at 1080p while monitoring gpu temperature using on screen display. It stayed at or around 66. I suppose that is good. However, maybe that isn't pushing the card that hard.

How safe is the heaven benchmark?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 7:54pm
As per the OP...if the fan speeds are very low, the voltage threshold on one fan or another may be slightly different and may not start up. At higher fan speeds, this should not happen as both fans are running off of the same fan controller. MSI is the only vendor I know of to put multiple fan controllers on their card to cool down different parts of the card independently.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 2:33am
The Heaven test is perfectly safe.   It will stress the gpu to a decent amount and give you an excellent picture of your cards cooling.   

Your last temps were very good.   

Let us know.

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 3:23am

The Heaven test is perfectly safe.   It will stress the gpu to a decent amount and give you an excellent picture of your cards cooling.   

Your last temps were very good.   

Let us know.

I went ahead and tried the heaven benchmark. At everything maxed at 1080p( my system's resolution) the temperature stayed at or around 75 during the whole test.

I suppose that is a good temperature right? I guess it helps that I have a huge amount of space for airflow in my apollo machine lol
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 4:05am
75C in Heaven is an excellent temp and you couldn't ask for better. Your card is fine.   No worries there.

There are tests that would push it more, but this was a real world check.

Time to do some gaming and Enjoy.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:07pm
Ok, sorry I'm late here. Let me chime in. The image shared only shows model numbers... So all of those models under the 1070 reflect FTW, SC, etc... Not really clusters released.

A Bios release won't fix the heat issues either. If you're missing the pads then, nothing you can do minus reducing the speeds and what not of your GPU by like 90% will counter it.

Just monitor your temps. If you notice that it's hitting 90+ Celsius then odds are it's missing the pads. You can also take the serial number, and reach out to EVGA directly, and they can tell you if it was released before or after the fix was put in.

Once again, no model number or bios update will fix it or tell you if you're affected by this over sight by EVGA. Only by watching your temps under load or by taking your GPU apart will you know.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Meller

Ok, sorry I'm late here. Let me chime in. The image shared only shows model numbers... So all of those models under the 1070 reflect FTW, SC, etc... Not really clusters released.

A Bios release won't fix the heat issues either. If you're missing the pads then, nothing you can do minus reducing the speeds and what not of your GPU by like 90% will counter it.

Just monitor your temps. If you notice that it's hitting 90+ Celsius then odds are it's missing the pads. You can also take the serial number, and reach out to EVGA directly, and they can tell you if it was released before or after the fix was put in.

Once again, no model number or bios update will fix it or tell you if you're affected by this over sight by EVGA. Only by watching your temps under load or by taking your GPU apart will you know.

I already tested it with heaven benchmark and it didn't go over 75 at max settings in that application. Also, I seem to get around 66 when playing doom and just cause 3.

I may be wrong, but I have a good feeling that my card is just fine. I'll keep monitoring it every now and then though. Thanks for all the help guys. If there is anything else I need to know let me know Big%20Smile
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:43am
Oh yea, those are fine temps. I just wanted you to know, so you could watch for it. It was 100% an EVGA thing, not a Digital Storm thing. DS would never know unless they personally opened up every single card, and put all of them under load for hours on end and just watched them.

But you're probably good. EVGA acknowledged their mistake and rectified it.

Enjoy your beast.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply