Post Date: 2016-06-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ordered my first PC with DS
    Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:25am
System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VANQUISH 5
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA/Corsair
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 970 4GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Sub-Total: $1,592.00
Tax (0%): $0.00
S&H: Ground $52.33
Grand Total: $1,644.33

I ended up going with the Vanqish 5 Ultimate, and used the ability to downgrade the video card by one level to help with the budget, using a part of the savings to upgrade the processor, a slight upgrade to the memory, and a switch to Windows 7. 

My question is, does anyone know how many fans this case comes with total, and would I void the warranty if I add fans from my previous PC?  If I needed to I could call them, I imagine, and have them add additional fans for a cost.  It's my understanding, based on the website info that this case may only come with the two front intake fans, and the rear one used with the liquid cooler.

When I configured this rig, I also put in the comments the preferred brands for motherboard (asus), video card (EVGA), and power supply (EVGA).  I figured the worst they can say is no, though I know that this company goes with quality products regardless based on what I've read.

Edited by MrButters - 27 Jun 2016 at 12:28am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:32am
i just wanted to congratulate you on your purchase. 

i wouldn't think adding a couple of fans would void the warranty, but i don't think the fans would be covered. 

i'm, sure they'll do their best to fill your request, but the Vanquish line is their least customizable line and their vendors change.  put a request into Alex to see if he can give you a heads up on what's actually going into your build.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 1:05am
Thanks, I can't wait to get the machine, as I'm currently unable to get my 2009 CyberpowerPC to run.  It had been acting funny of late, turning itself off and restarting every once in a while, but then when I lost the AC at home for a week, I made the mistake of running it for a while, and then all of a sudden artifacts starting popping up.  In the end, either the video card, motherboard, or some combination went bad as it won't even start up now.  Now the motherboard won't even beep, so I'm sure I've dug the hole even further.  As long as the monitor is good to go for the next PC I guess I'm okay.  I may have to dig and see if I have the Cyberpower's original GTX 295 to try and get it going again.  At this stage I just plan to use it for spare parts, and luckily it has a lot of fans that I can utilize. 

If there's one thing that seemed to really work well with the CyberPowerPC (Azza case with five fans), it's the standard Asetek liquid cooler unit that they use.  I'm hoping for similar longevity with the one DS uses, and hope that it's enough to keep the new processor from running too hot.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 1:36am
The parts DS uses are much better then alienware.

My config is priced lower and will be faster:

Here you go Ticket# 1443091 --- $1,517 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm VANQUISH 5

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA/Corsair

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 850 EVO)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 970 4GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

can you make changes?
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 2:01am
It's already been ordered.  The only real difference that I see with your build is that you went with overclock, which I'm not really interested in.  You also only have one small SSD for storage?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 2:20am
Smaller but better, the oc makes all the difference to your performance, its only stage one and its covered under warranty.

If I add your ssds to my build it becomes $1 cheaper.

Your system always needs to be setup this way:

hdd/ssd 1 = for os/apps/games

hdd/ssd 2 = storage/games.

so I gave you a good fast ssd for ssd 1 but for ssd 2 you are better buying one a little later when prices are a little better but there are 1TB ssds out now.

the plan for your budget build is to go with the samsung ssd now and then add a 1tb samsung ssd later for ssd 2 to hold your games and storage.

You can very easily add a second ssd to your system here it will cost you $400 but from amazon its $290 saving your $$$ and giving you second great 1tb ssd for games and storage. Again if its not in the budget now that is fine, in 6 months or so get one, prices should be a little better.

If you just ordered your system you can make changes but if its been day or you are past stage 1 then its too late.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Jun 2016 at 2:23am
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 2:41am
I ordered it on Friday, so it's likely too late to make any changes.

I still prefer to have two hard drives to begin with anyway, and the 240GB SSD is twice the storage, even if it isn't a Samsung.

In time if I desire it, I can switch out the hard drives, but I think for now I should be good, especially if what's said about DS going with quality components is true.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 2:46am
If you ordered fri then its not too late.

but if you want to stick with your build that is fine also, I'm just obsessed with getting the most performance for my money.

DS parts are good parts but I rather know exactly what I'm getting and samsung has one of the best reputations in ssds right now.

I would still ask for the oc tho, that makes the biggest difference in performance.

either way congrats
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 3:27am
Congratulations and welcome to DS.Awesome
That is a nice systemStrong. Enjoy it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 3:33am
Congrats.     Nice gaming rig.
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 4:03am
thanks guys for the input and warm welcome.... I didn't know that OC for the cpu is free, so I might see about that.

Edited by MrButters - 27 Jun 2016 at 4:14am
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:17am
Okay, so I'm now considering ditching both hard drives, and just going with one Samsung 500gb SSD, as I can always add a second later.  Also, is it worth spending more on Windows 7 or is Windows 10 all that, and does it have great compatibility with older titles?  I've read a lot of negative things about Windows 10, but hate to have to pay more for Windows 7 if the newer version is worth it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:25am
500GB samsung is another way to go, and yes you can always add the second later easily.

Not sure about win 10 have not had too much time to test it yet.
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:49am
Originally posted by DST4ME

500GB samsung is another way to go, and yes you can always add the second later easily.

Not sure about win 10 have not had too much time to test it yet.

As for RAM, am I good to go on that front, or should I try and upgrade that as well?
Raille View Drop Down

Quote Raille Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:05am
16gigs is plenty for gaming. I don't have any issues with win 10 now that it's had enough patches. I think ultimately you'll just have to suck it up and use it at some point regardless of opinion for gaming though.
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Raille

16gigs is plenty for gaming. I don't have any issues with win 10 now that it's had enough patches. I think ultimately you'll just have to suck it up and use it at some point regardless of opinion for gaming though.

Sorry, was referring to the brand of RAM rather than the amount. 

You're right about Windows 10, though I may have my claws dug deep in the ground and have to be dragged to that cliff. 
Raille View Drop Down

Quote Raille Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:51am
Originally posted by MrButters

Sorry, was referring to the brand of RAM rather than the amount.  You're right about Windows 10, though I may have my claws dug deep in the ground and have to be dragged to that cliff. 

Your ram speed is fine, The build I'm waiting on is using 2666Hz and I'm trusting their memory that's being supplied. If I was to be specific I tend to go with corsair for brand, but I doubt DS is going to pick a weak brand and the things to look for is 16g and 2666hz or better. Essentially what you have picked out is fine.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:07am
Ya your ram is fine, brand-wise again as I mentioned I like to know what I'm getting and I too like corsair they make good ram, there are others but I prefer corsair first.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 1:20pm
you might as well go with the current OS in a fresh pc build.  they'll be more and more games built on DX12 going forward, so it's good to be prepared for that with W10.  

the only reason to get a "K" sku cpu is for its unlocked multiplier, which means for its overclocking potential.   otherwise, save yourself some coin and get a non-K sku cpu. 

with the 6700K in particular, you can easily increase the multiplier w/o touching voltage precisely because Intel already pumps more voltage than is needed thru the proc at stock values.  since you're getting DS cpu cooling it's more than adequate to oc with.  in all honesty, since you won't be increasing voltage, and as long as you make sure the oc is stable at whatever final multiplier increase you decide on (based on the silicon lottery), you get increased frequency/performance w/o risking longevity of the cpu at all.     
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by MrButters

Sorry, was referring to the brand of RAM rather than the amount.  You're right about Windows 10, though I may have my claws dug deep in the ground and have to be dragged to that cliff. 

Your ram speed is fine, The build I'm waiting on is using 2666Hz and I'm trusting their memory that's being supplied. If I was to be specific I tend to go with corsair for brand, but I doubt DS is going to pick a weak brand and the things to look for is 16g and 2666hz or better. Essentially what you have picked out is fine.
DS uses ADATA ram as their "value" ram choice in the Vanquish line currently.  it wouldn't be my choice to put in my pc, but it's fine for a budget build.  i prefer either Corsair or G.Skill myself. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:00am
I ended up calling DS soon after they opened, and had them upgrade me to a 500GB Samsung.  Excited, all I have to do now is wait.  :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:36pm
Congrats Let the torture begin
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:51pm

Congrats Let the torture begin

It's stage 3 now, so some progress has been made.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 7:16pm
Many more stages of torture for you
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:40pm
Well based on some of the rigs these guys have to put together mine should be a walk in the park as long as the components are available.  I believe stage 3 is where the 72 hour stress testing is done, so could be a while before I reach next stage.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:45pm
Stage 1: Payment processed

Stage 2: Inventory assigned to order's build-bin

Stage 3: Order is waiting in que for assembly team

Stage 4: Order is being assembled

Stage 5: Order is being tested

Stage 6: Order is in que for QA team

Stage 7: Order has passed QA and is in que to be packaged and shipped

Stage 8: Order has shipped to Dst4me for final testing for 2 years and then shipped to you

much torture for you I see

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Jun 2016 at 11:46pm
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 12:18am
The real torture will be when I actually get the machine and have to download everything again to Steam.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 12:28am
Midway down the page tells you how to move your stuff from old pc to new pc

If you need help navigating thru your os/folders let us know, we can help you.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Jun 2016 at 12:29am
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:11am
I'm unable to get the old PC up and running, so I'll likely still have to download the games I wish to play since I neglected to do a proper backup.

I'll be dealing with a smaller storage space anyway, so will need to be more selective in what gets installed.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:19am
No problem we can still get your data from the old pc's hdd.
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:54pm
Just received my parts list via email from one of their techs, and very happy with what I'm getting.

Got the brands that I requested with the exception of the graphics card.

ASUS Z170-K (Intel Z170 Chipset)
EVGA - 750W - NEX750 B1
NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB - ASUS - TURBO   (Requested EVGA)

Also they upgraded the ram it appears to a higher speed then the upgrade I had selected.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:28pm
YOU can always add the gpu yourself if you want evga.

free upgrade
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:16am

YOU can always add the gpu yourself if you want evga.

free upgrade

Yeah, what I might end up doing in a few months or early next year is taking the 970 out and putting it in the older rig if the motherboard will take it, and then upgrading to a 1080, or whatever model it is that everyone is drooling over as long as the price is reasonable and I have the funds for it.  :)  

My current PC has a dead EVGA gtx560 in it, so I may look at brands other than EVGA.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:40am
That sounds like a great plan

EVGA has great quality and great customer service, how old is your 560?
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:46am
Bought it in 2011 as an upgrade from a gtx295.  It was the first time I ever installed  a graphics card, and IIRC, I also switched out the power supply at the same time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>