FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Original Vanquish overheating

Post Date: 2016-08-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StevenPG View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StevenPG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Original Vanquish overheating
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:16pm
When I first got my gaming laptop from digital storm about 5 years ago, I loved the service and the machine so much that I purchased the original Vanquish level 2 for my girlfriend a few months later.

After 4/5 long years, the computer has started to overheat during gaming sessions. After heavy CPU usage, the temperatures spike to nearly 90 degrees C and the computer powers off.

I installed a case fan above the cpu fan to try to draw some of the heat away but it hasn't solved the problem.

I was wondering if DS or anyone on the forum had any insight on what I should look into upgrading to deal with this overheating issue.

I should also note that I replaced the thermal paste once liberally, and have cleaned the fans and the case countless times.

(The easy answer is a new case and tons of fans/new cpu fan, but I'm looking for the likely cheaper and smarter option)

Mobo: M5A97
CPU: AMD FX-8120 @ 3.10ghz
RAM: 4GBx2 Corsair
HDD: 4TB, 500GB, 250GB, 240GB
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 7700

Thanks
x15e
i7 3610qm @ 2.23mhz
16GB DD3
GTX 670m
PNY M500 120GB
Hitachi 750GB
Win 10
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:31pm
What cpu cooler do you have on the cpu and are you sure you seated the cooler correctly on the cpu, aka there was enough paste to cover the cpu and once you sat the cooler the cpu you didn't move or adjust it before tightening it down.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:44am
The only times my V2 gets above 75°C is when the dust filters on the front are getting clogged, the Zalmax fins on the CPU cooler aren't dissipating the heat and/or something gets put on top of the case (thanks to "She who must be obeyed") without my knowledge.

Cleaning all filters, fans and exhausts keeps this V2 in line.

HWMonitor, RealTemp and Speccy are good programs for checking temps.
 Post Reply Post Reply