Post Date: 2015-09-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PiR8 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PiR8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Oustside measurements
    Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:57am
For Config # 1286088 I would like to find the case measurements somewhere but haven't yet. Any help will be appreciated.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 6:56am
Hi PiR8....   You can get more info on it by selecting More Info under the case in the config.

It's 25.6 H X 27.2 D X 9.9 W.      It's the Corsair 900D case if you want to Google it.

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile
PiR8 View Drop Down

Quote PiR8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 8:13am
Thank you it helped a bunch. I see you are a customer and I assume very satisfied sitting in here answering questions. I don't game all that much but I do encoding and other power consumption mulit-tasking. My current machine is Gigabyte 7 series MB, [email protected] and 32M Corsair RAM, NVidia GT770 and standard sound card. In thinking about upgrading considering I do more computing than game playing would this config 1286071 do as much as the first one in your opinion. Thank you.

Edited by PiR8 - 22 Sep 2015 at 8:14am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 9:13am
Without knowing the apps you're using or the monitors, either multi or 4K for example, its hard to say what you need.

This Hailstorm 2 build is definitely a step up from your posted specs of present system.  If the apps can make use of them and I'm guessing Yes, the 5930k's 6 core processor overclocked to 4.4ghz + will make life easier and faster.

The ram is also faster.   The graphics cards are the biggest boost.   No comparison. 

Again, depending on your screen resolution, its doubtful you'll need 12 gb of VRAM.  The added vram in the Titan's was originally designed for scientific computations, modeling ,  etc where the added work to display was needed. 

I would change the sli Titan X for sli 980TI and save a $$ Grand.   6GB vram is good even for 4K monitors.  If you use a single 1080P then even a single 980ti is great.

That's a real nice build, nothing wrong either way,  but you might be able to save some money.  Big%20Smile

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:03pm
The new Aventum 3 is now out. It has dimensions very close to the 900D...I believe it is within 1 cm (~0.4 inches) of the dimensions of it.

Also, you should drop the sound card -- on-board audio is now quite good. And if computing is the main use, if you can compile your code to execute using multiple threads in a highly parallel way, an upgrade to the i7-5960X wouldn't be a bad idea with 2 more cores and additional cache.
PiR8 View Drop Down

Quote PiR8 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:10pm
I pulled the plug and ordered the Halstrom II with the changes you suggested and a couple other little ones. Than ks ever so much. Already either getting excited or buyers remose ... nothing in the middle. lol
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:54pm
Congrats. Powerful rig.
 Post Reply Post Reply