FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overclock 5850?

Post Date: 2010-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andyt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andyt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overclock 5850?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:59pm
So I just did two builds for my work, and the DS sales rep recommended I NOT overclock the 5850 GPU I got.  We did overclock the Athlon II X4 630.  But why were they saying not to overclock the GPU?
Secondly, why would I need them to overclock it when I can do it with a software download instead?  Is there a way to do it on the card itself, or...?

The builds are still in the early stages, so I think I can still make changes.  I have a couple of major concerns with customer service (I have an email in to Alex, so I hope he can resolve them) so I'm not sure if I should just go on blind faith about the recommendations not to OC the GPU.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 12:13am
Overclocking GPUs is not like processors, the curve to increase noise is a lot steeper and the power you actually gain from overclocking is substantially less

its pretty easy to overclock the video card on your own if you want to for certain games. You can have it set to only overclock the video card when you tell it to, which makes getting that little extra juice for certain games very easy

why would I need them to overclock it when I can do it with a software download instead
its free. who cares?
andyt View Drop Down

Quote andyt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 12:30am
^^ Cool.  Thanks for the advice.
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 3:28am
Yeah, OCing video cards doesn't give an awesome increase in performance like in a CPU, plus it gets very hot and thus noisy
 Post Reply Post Reply