Overclocked my GTX 480

Post Date: 2010-08-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TrakDay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TrakDay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overclocked my GTX 480
    Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 9:43am
Well I downloaded MSI AfterBurner and did some research last night.  Which programs should I be using to make sure my overclock is stable.  I set up a few different profiles and ran them all through KomBuster, but what other tests should I be running to check stability?  Currently running  800/1600/2050 at 1.063v. 

Any pointers for a first time overclocker? 

Thanks in advance.
Liq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Liq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:40pm
 I've been running Kombuster for 6-7 minutes(80 degrees max so far), and then I hop into Heaven benchmark for a round to check improvements. finally, I go play BFBC2 for a couple hours, and just look for artifacts and stability. I just started messing with my OC settings yesterday and right now I'm at 775/1550 core/shader with memory on default for now.

I'm kind of baby stepping the oc on my GTX 480 for right now, and I haven't really had time to mess with it much.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 7:48pm
yea just push the voltage to the max your afterburner allows (which isnt much) then crank up the settings to where you want them

back them off slowly one at at time until youe kombuster shows no issues, when you feel youve done a good job, run heaven and or 3d vantage, again look for problems

after that you should be good, but make sure you keep a close eye on your temps
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:11am
If you run Komobuster, make sure you run post processing, at native resolution, with all settings at max, and run for a minimum of an hour.
MSI afterburner allows for higher voltage, 1.25-1.6V depending on your skill in the GPU BIOS. Big%20Smile
overclock the core first, then once you find a speed that is stable, and has safe temps, then start the mem OC
 Post Reply Post Reply