FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

overclocking and i7 3770k

Post Date: 2012-04-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bjhum33 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bjhum33 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: overclocking and i7 3770k
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 6:11pm
I was in the process of deciding to buy the ode-level 2 last week and was about to buy the product when I saw that the build had upgraded to the ivy bridge processor 3770kthat i suppose just came out today. So i did a little resaerch and saw that the  3770k does overclock that well and gets alot hotter than its sandy bridge predecessors.(like the 2700k that was orignally in the machine). So my question is with the professional overclocking being done by digital storm (that says 4.0 to 4.5ghz) work well on the 3770k and with the corsair A50 cooling system it comes with. And does anyone know exactly how the overclocking is done? For example, how do they just overclock to a stable ghz and voltage somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:00am
Overclocking is done in Bios and stress testing done to insure stability.  Not sure the exact precedure they use. 

The heat issue with Ivy Bridge from the limited info I've seen, seems to be when you psuh it to 4.8 and beyond.  Either way, DS does oc and then test thermals before shipping to get a safe, stable system.  If a problem arises they'll adjust oc or decide more cooling is needed.
novelreader View Drop Down

Quote novelreader Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:07am
It seems that it is possible to get around 4.4-4.5ghz overclock at a significantly less vcore than 1.4 with ib. If a customer is not satisfied with an overclock, would DS change it? For example, if there was an oc of 4.5ghz at 1.4vcore, would DS try to lower the vcore to 1.2 if asked?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:39am

Ivy Brdige CPUs use less voltage to achieve similiar overclocks to Sandy Brdige CPUs. In regards to thermals, we've done tests ahead of time and there should be no issues with heat or stability with the newer CPUs.

bjhum33 View Drop Down

Quote bjhum33 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:09pm
Alex, thank you for your response. I really wish to get the ode - level 2 and i loved it as soon a si saw the specs. I just really want it to last and better safe then sorry haha. But back to what novelreader said, if i ordered over the phone would i be able to specify the ghz between the 4.0-4.4 that i wanted. (I would prefer lower on that scale if possible).? Also, if not what determines where the overclock will fal on my computer? And I heard that ivybridge does indeed run on lower voltages and that it can sustain 4.4 on stock voltage. Does this mean ds will leave it on stock voltage(since what ive read indicates the voltage increase is when the temps skyrocket)? thanks for any insight you can provide.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm
Ivy Bridge uses lower CPU voltages at similar overclocks compared to Sandy Bridge, so it will have lower voltages. We can definitely put a lower overclock on your system, feel free to let our team know.
bjhum33 View Drop Down

Quote bjhum33 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:33pm
well i got too antsy and ordered my computer earlier today before i saw this Drooling.... not a big deal either way but would i still be able to contact you guys and ask for a slightly lower overclock or is it too late?

Quote novelreader Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:50pm
If possible, you could wait until you get the results of the initial overclock results before making up your mind. I believe DS has changed oc for customers in the past in these situations.
bjhum33 View Drop Down

Quote bjhum33 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:56pm
Well I just emailed the sales team and asked for a lower overclock, just to be safe, however either way im super excited to see how this baby runs.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:41pm

Welcome to the family of customers! Big%20Smile

SDR View Drop Down

Quote SDR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:41pm
Hi Alex,

What stable overclock are you guys seeing with the 3770K with Stage 6 H20?
i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
Asus P6T-Deluxe
12GB OCZ Platinum 1600
GTX 480 SLI
Silverstone ST1500 PS
Raven 2 Evolution Case.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:56pm
We've been able to do 4.8GHz. However that will require binning a CPU, etc... 4.5GHz-4.8Ghz should be fine.

Quote novelreader Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:21pm
When would be the best time/stage to ask about the oc results on an order where requests could still be made like lowering the vcore, oc speed, etc?
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 7:09am
I think DS is being conservative with their overclocks. With a good mobo you should be able to push over 5 GHz on a CryoTEC system, in fact I will attempt this very feat in a few weeks. Evil
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:23pm
5ghz is good for benchmark results but i would never run a cpu at 5ghz 24/7 i am going to try and get mine at 4.75 for a 24/7 OC
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by tju76

5ghz is good for benchmark results but i would never run a cpu at 5ghz 24/7 i am going to try and get mine at 4.75 for a 24/7 OC

At 100% load if you are under TJmax 105C technically you should be fine but most experts say 90C max. It's a safe buffer between really cooking the chip and not cooking it. I have not yet received my DS pc to see what the temps are. DS set mine at 4.7 GHz for 24/7. I think there is more room but I'll have to wait and see. Still 4.7 for Ivy is like running a Sandy chip at over 5 GHz so performance above stock is excellent no question.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by barbitque

I think DS is being conservative with their overclocks. With a good mobo you should be able to push over 5 GHz on a CryoTEC system, in fact I will attempt this very feat in a few weeks. Evil

Of course DS is conservative, its better from a business standpoint. Big%20Smile
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Of course DS is conservative, its better from a business standpoint. Big%20Smile

Absolutely. Especially having to cover warranties. I am willing to risk reaching max temps for the sake of validating a higher oc. Whether or not I'm willing to stress it like that for 24/7 is another issue probably better left back at a safer level. I do have a spare cpu just in case but would hate to fry a binned cpu over an unknown spare.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 11:05am

Originally posted by Tidgxor

Absolutely. Especially having to cover warranties. I am willing to risk reaching max temps for the sake of validating a higher oc. Whether or not I'm willing to stress it like that for 24/7 is another issue probably better left back at a safer level. I do have a spare cpu just in case but would hate to fry a binned cpu over an unknown spare.

Very good point, and there is more then just heat that will affect the longevity of a cpu if it is OC at that high of a speed (5+Ghz) 24/7
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 12:22am
Well just an update regarding my overclocking with this chip. I can post Windows up to 5.2 GHz but far from stable. I can run over 5 GHz with some loading overhead and call it stable but it's not "rock solid" prime95/LinX proof. I can get rock solid stable tested with Prime95 and LinX at 4.8 GHz and a wee bit more on cooler ambient temp days but the heat just can't be controlled well enough even with the Cryo-Tec cooling as you push the frequency over 4.8 Ghz. Overclocking this chip over 5.2 GHz stable requires the use of much colder cooling like Dice, Liquid Nitrogen and Helium. I am amazed at how low you can reduce voltages and still get pretty good stability up to 4.6 GHz after that you need to be more careful with thermal and power management. Remember as well that this chip is out performing a Sandy Bridge by 200 to 300 MHz clock for clock. So an Ivy 4.8 GHz is equivalent to a Sandy over 5 GHz. I still have some testing and tinkering to find improvements all in all Ivy is a powerhouse and a lot of fun OC'ing.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:59am
that is not a surprise in order to get oc that high Liquid nitrogen is needed, im on liquid cooling and i run 4.8 ghz all day
 Post Reply Post Reply