FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking Failure

Post Date: 2018-04-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GizzmoTheGreat View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GizzmoTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Overclocking Failure
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 1:52pm
Hello all,

First time poster, but long time reader. I've been the happy owner of multiple Digital Storm systems for several years now. Recently I've had an issue on my 4 year old system.

I booted it up today and was greeted with a message "Overclocking Failure".

I can hit F1 and enter the BIOS, and did try stepping through some basic troubleshooting.

I've reloaded the OC profile in the tools tab, and I've turned off XMP in an effort to try and "reset" the system.

Additionally I checked all of the components (GPU, CPU, RAM, etc) to ensure that they were in fact seated snugly (I did this because I did recently move and thought that perhaps something had come unseated or had been shaken loose).

I have had some success in getting back to booting to windows (windows 10) but after about 5-8 minutes the system will shut off completely, then appear to restart...at this point the PC will start...begin to load...then shut off...then start again...begin to load...then shut off.

If I hard shut-down (by holding the power button) and let it sit for a while...it will boot up as normal, but will cycle back to the original "Overclocking Failure" message.

The system has been overclocked from purchase...

Here are some of the system details to start, but I can provide more if necessary:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-C (Intel Z97 Chipset) (No SLI Support)

CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to troubleshooting but can easily follow directions.

Any idea where to start on this problem?

Thanks all for any help that you may be able to provide.

- Giz
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:37pm
I would check temps with HWMONITOR to start, just to make sure.    Overclocking failure message isn’t normally that but ya never know. Have you cleaned the rig of dust buildup recently. Especially the cpu cooler rad or fins.

If it started after the move your new electrical could be messing with the overclock.   Sometimes a simple vcore bump by .1 or .2 volts in Bios.

Could be bad ram.   Try running it with just one ram stick at a time.    Or, use Memtest to stress test it.    Windows has a built in memory diagnostics you can use, but not as thorough.

Good luck.

GizzmoTheGreat View Drop Down

Quote GizzmoTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
I clean it pretty regularly, so dust isn't the issue. As usual Digital Storm did a fantastic physical setup so it's easy to keep clean.

I pulled the CMOS battery and rebooted. It seems to be working pretty well now, I need to confirm somehow that I have the right overclocking profile loaded though...CPUZ will probably show that for me.

Also I just went in and reseated everything to make sure...that may have fixed something as well.

When you say vcore bump, I don't know what that means or how to implement it.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:27pm
I'd just test it's temps now at stock.  and if they're good, turn on XMP profile for your RAM (not the oc profile).  Check your temps.  If it can't boot with XMP.  Remove all but one stick of ram and try again.  Rinse and repeat.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:12am
The reason the problem appears to be fixed after removing cmos batty is because, chances are, you lost your overclock in Bios.   CPUZ like you said will verify that while stressing the cpu.

Vcore is the voltage added to the cpu to allow it to run on higher overclock.    Higher overclock means higher voltage on core to run it.     It’s done in Bios.

Temps first, then ram, then overclock tweaking.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:18am
Correct.  Back in the day, we had to short it by messing with a Jumper on a motherboard header to clear the cmos.  Most boards these days have a button you push. 

But worse case, you can simply remove the battery with your computer unplugged (not just off).  Then hold down the power button for about 10 seconds.  Put the battery back in, plug the computer back in, and you're all done.  CMOS is back to factory settings.  It'll registered all of your hardware for boot, and default all bios settings.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply