FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCI-e vs Mini-SAS

Post Date: 2015-07-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Smarmy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PCI-e vs Mini-SAS
    Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 3:58am
So I see we have new Intel SSDs like "1x SSD mini-SAS (400GB Intel 750 Series) (2.5 inch - NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)" in two flavors. One uses the mini-SAS interface and the other uses the PCI-e interface. I'm aware that the PCI-e interface would share lanes with the video card(s). So how do these two interfaces compare? Is one vastly faster than the other? If I had SLIx3 would I gimp myself if I had 2 mini-SAS SSDs?

- Smarmy
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:42am
Hi Smarmy,

I know little about Mini-SAS and there will be other members who know more about your question than I do.

What is your computer setup. What mother board and CPU do you have. Mini-SAS is usually used in a RAID setup for a server or maybe a workstation. The drives are external and requires a SAS RAID card with Mini-SAS ports. One card I looked at had dual Mini-SAS ports and required a PCIe X8 slot. So you would have to have a spare PCIe X8 slot. If you have three GPUs I doubt you have a spare X8 slot. There may be SAS RAID cards that use a X4 slot but I don't know.

If you have a gaming computer I think what you need is an PCIe NVMe drive to plug into your computer. That requires a X4 slot. We need to know what motherboard and CPU you have.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 16 Jul 2015 at 7:43am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 10:22am
The Intel drives Mini-SAS (SFF-8643) port uses PCI-e, electrically...you may notice on Intel's specs that the Mini-SAS port must support PCI-e. There is essentially no difference in the interface, other than the physical form, between the PCI-e cards and SFF-8639 (U.2) units.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 10:37am
The two drives will deliver the same performance, it depends on your configuration as some customers will order a system that does not have enough PCI-E slots, or some customers prefer to have the SSD drive remain in the normal hard drive trays.

If you do go with a mini-SAS version, make sure your motherboard has a m.2 connector as we will have to use an m.2 to mini-SAS adapter.
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:13pm
Thanks for the info. One other question. Will the m.2 to mini-SAS adapter support 2 mini-SAS drives?

Thank You,
Smarmy
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:08pm
The new Asus ROG boards pics are out

Interesting thing to note is the SFF-8643 connector on the Extreme board just beneath the SATA Express (I really don't know why any MB manufacturer bothers with SATA Express still...that connector is essentially still-born).  The Intel SSD 750 with SFF-8639 (U.2) will now be able to plug directly into it without needing the Hyper Card adapter in an M.2 slot.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 12:58pm
From what I know, you can only connect one mini-SAS drive to the motherboard.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 3:26pm
If the M.2 slot and the mini-SAS port are connected to different PCI-e lanes from the chipset and they both support Intel RST, you could theoretically connect two drives up with a Hyper Card with a mini-SAS port on it.  The Z170 chipset will support up to 3, if properly configured to do so.  I talked about it somewhat in depth in this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply