Post Date: 2015-09-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smit9448 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smit9448 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PCIe lanes
    Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
With the Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz which uses the Intel Z170 Chipset, how many PCI-E lanes will two graphic cards and a SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) each be able to use? Thank you very much for any responses.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 3:34pm
z170 chipset offers x8/x8 or x8/x4/x4 configs. 

if you go with an Nvidia graphics card (because they limit 16-lane cpus) your limited to 2-way sli.  depending on the board (like MSI's Gaming M7) they exploit the various upgrade paths via the PCH with pcie switches to enable 3-way "crossfire" (AMD's multi card solution) support. 

it gets really complicated with z170 and its flexible PCH I/O.  there are so many combinations it comes down to selecting the right board for your needs.  you would have to do a lot of research with each mobo manufacturer.  i still don't think you can get 2 vid cards plus a pcie ssd with this platform, but i could be wrong.  you can get 2 M.2 SATA ssd with 2 vid cards in the mobo i referenced and a lot of other storage configurations that aren't pcie.  

edit: i just checked the aforementioned mobo and it does look like it supports x8/x8/x4 configs and M.2 pcie ssd.  i would still shoot a call to them to make sure you can run two graphics cards plus an M.2 pcie ssd at the same time. 

Edited by db188 - 17 Sep 2015 at 3:42pm
smit9448 View Drop Down

Quote smit9448 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 3:51pm
Ok thank you for the information.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:33pm
There are a few high-end Z170 motherboards (Gigabyte Z170 G1 Gaming, EVGA Z170 Classified, ASUS Z170-WS, possibly others) that have PLX PCI-e switches on them. The PLX switch they use usually allows x16/x0/x16/x0 or x8/x8/x8/x8. But you must realize that there is no extra bandwidth to the processor; the PLX chip only redirects bandwidth. The PLX chip also consumes several watts of power and incurs a latency (140 ns or more) in communications between the processor and graphics cards. The latency isn't as critical as bandwidth in compute (scientific) applications, but for graphics it matters more.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 5:50pm
in case i was a little vague i just wanted to clarify that Skylake (I7-6700k and I5-6600K) are 16-lane processors.  also, the pcie ssd populate the x4 pcie 3.0 bandwidth.  there does seem to be some high end z170 mobos out there that can configure at least a x2 sli+pcie ssd, but i'd personally want to confirm that with a call to their tech support prior to building a system around z170.  you might just be better off going with X99 with a minimum of direct cpu 28-lane support. 
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 7:52pm
The majority of SLI-capable Z170 motherboards are x8/x8 with the PCI-e 3.0 x4 going to the chipset. The PCI-e NVMe drives are supported by the High Speed I/O (HSIO) lanes that have Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) supported, which there up to 3 on the Z170 chipset. However, there are a lot of tradeoffs with the I/O, as you can see here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/intel-skylake-z170-motherboards-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 10:22pm
excellent read, thx for the link.  i wasn't sure until i read this that you could do sli along with high speed pcie storage with this chipset.  has there been any latency/performance tests done with a config like that?  
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 11:43pm
I haven't come across any comparisons with the Z170 latency, although I haven't explicitly looked for any, either. I would be interested in finding out about it, though.

You can actually do more high-speed storage on Z170 than X99 (or Z97), but the motherboard has to be configured correctly. The manufacturers really need to start publishing the block diagrams for their PCI-e lane and HSIO allocation so we know what is possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply