FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Planning on a new system soon

Post Date: 2018-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Black Dragon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Black Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Planning on a new system soon
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:18am
Hello all.
My computer is almost 12 years old, I've kept upgrading the hardware, upgrading the odds and ends, switching parts out (power supply graphic cards, a secondary drive etc etc), to the point I've probably put over $2000 into my rig, over the past seven years. However, it is at it's limit, the system, the setup, my patience, my processors, my graphics card, and my poor poor motherboard which has been here since day 1.

My wife told me about this site, said she's been looking at models here, and on another site called Adamant (anyone heard of it?); but based on the reviews I've been reading, it SEEMS like DS is the more reliable, secure shipping, functional PC, and guaranteed satisfaction and results - way to go. So, what I'd like to get is a system I can buy, and not have to put any money into for the next five years, technology has changed, and computers are a lot more powerful now than what they were when I got the one I have now.

I'm hoping I can get some help designing a rig, something that will make me shed a tear of joy every-time I look at it. Something that at the end of the work day, I can sit down to, and spend a few hours a week just getting lost in with my PC gaming, before my wife makes dinner (and maybe a few hours after she goes to sleep lol).

1. My Budget:
I'm looking to AT MOST put $3500 into this rig, but when I say at most, I mean, that's past my point of gritting my teeth and questioning rather it's worth the price or not. I made a few "play builds" with the customization tools provided by the website, and for the most part, can get myself a respectable rig, well under $3,000; in layman terms, I don't think I should have to reach my budget, but that's about as much (roughly) I'm willing to part with (remember, I don't want to have to upgrade this thing for several years).

2. Expectations:
As aforementioned, I would like a PC that helps me escape feeling like crap at the end of the day. My wife and I are going to get my office redone, so that means a new monitor (my current is a 4:3, which sits on top of a power center). And again, I would like it to come balls-ready to take on any future game demands (specs are becoming more and more demanding, this should be accounted for). I'll probably be spending 7-10 hours a day (probably in the wee AM after my wife goes to bed, gaming till the crack of dawn) on this thing over weekend and vacations. I probably won't do more than one monitor (though I might plug in a second monitor later on, LATER ON, as in, not anytime this year or the next), and I'm not really a VR gamer, it's just not my thing.

3. Usage
I'd like the computer to be able to pull games like PubG, Pro Evol Soccer 2018, Battlefield 1, Realm Royale, Witcher Series, Vampyr, and of course who can forget that Fallout 76 was JUST ANNOUNCED at E3 this year. Here's the hitch though, I'd like the computer to be able to meet the demands of these games on ULTRA++ settings, without so much as a hiccup, stagger, trip, cough, or attosecond of a slowdown; no, I'm not kidding, that's why I set my budget up a notch from what I've put into my current PC (aforementioned $2000, which I spoke of earlier on). For work related reasons, I'll also be using some rather, RAM demanding programs which I won't go too much into detail about (boring deets), but they are a pain in the neck on my system (having to run multiple demanding programs at once - video conferencing and screen sharing etc etc), causing the fans to buzz and whir like a bunch of bees buzzing in a hive, even for twenty minuets after I've closed out the program (on that note I should mention, my house doesn't have AC, and my wife LOVES opening the windows in the summer. My office regularly hits temps of 90+ and my computer, even more-so; I'm honestly surprised something hasn't melted yet - the sounds my fan makes when running these programs is WORSE than the ZZZZZZZZZZRRRTTTZRTZZZZRT it makes when playing Fallout 4). Again, not a big VR gamer, so don't expect me to put on any headsets or anything like that.

4.Special Needs
I'll need this PC to remain cool even when it's 90+ degrees in the room, run quiet - so people in my conference calls don't ask "what's that sound in the background" or "Are we getting static? I thought computers didn't get static", and having amazing longevity so when the day is done six years from now, I don't have to turn it off, I can just pull up Fallout 5,6,7 (whichever is out at the time) and transition into escapism with one hand, while taking off my tie with the other. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to have an aesthetically pleasing tower to look at. My wife comments that the big black blocky shape of my current tower looks like something that should come along with the theme from Space Odyssey.

I'm looking for minimum specs better than my current setup, suffice to say.

From what I know off the top of my head, the current specs on my old system that i want to dwarf are..
i5 with 4 cores, Nvidia geforce GTX TI (something like that), a 3 TB HDD (I have a handful of old movies that I like), uh a power supply of 700 (for my card, I'm told I should have 1000w if I'm going to go with anything modern or overclocked).. I think I have uh 3 ghz right now too.

Talk stupid to me, i'm only a little tech savvy. I know some stuff, but I've always had help when changing out parts or replacing things. it would be nice if someone actually helped me learn what makes a computer tick, and what I should be looking for in a rig if I have to design it myself, or throw an absurd amount of money at it (should I have to throw money at it? DS probably likes the sound of that though, don't you!). My wife will probably help me review whatever we can come up with as a final build, but for now, I'd like to know what I can get into, or customize as a build to help my new setup.

Thanks for everything, I hope customer satisfaction is a priority here.
~BD
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:29am
Customer service is, indeed, a priority here. We Forum types are not reps, we're customers just like you who appreciate what we have from DS, and have been around long enough to see first hand how well they treat us.

I came up with this: Config ID 1958633.

It's got 32 GB of Ram, but I would seriously think of ditching that in exchange for a 1TB SATA SSD in addition to the MVMe SSD. RAM is really pretty pricy right now, and 16 GB is pretty darn good for most uses.

That proc is new, and looks to totally kick a**. Not needed, could go 8700k and save $78.

The all-in one cooler is the larger radiator, which I just assume will cool better.

The 1080 Ti is the boss card these days, but the latest from Nvidia may be out reasonably soon. The latest rumors are centered On the "Hot Chips" conference in August as some kind of announcement/launch. I don't get the sense you're looking to wait any longer for your upgrade, but with future proofing a priority, I have to mention it. If you plan on not going beyond 2k (1440p) gaming at 144 HZ frame rates, the 1080 ti will take everything you throw at it at "ULTRA+++".

The 750W power supply is enough for this build. Nice headroom.

I would hope some of the other more savvy guys would weigh in on this thread, but this is my take to get you started. We could fine tune price/performance a bit if you have firm plans for your monitor/resolution needs going forward.

Hope it helps.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:58am
Welcome to the forums. The config gurus will be along shortly and, even though Cretae has given you a great start, there may be some more additions, substitutions etc until you're happy. Some folks have been around here a very long time and they continue to help others based on the fact that Digital Storm is one of the few builders left who would rather make a customer than just make a sale.

As far as not being tech-savvy, welcome to the club. Personally, I knew less about computers than most know about brain surgery, yet today I have replaced the RAM, GPU and added another drive because of the help here. Solid community.

I just wanted to chime in and let you know you've made a very good choice in "Boutique builders" and we look forward to watching this machine get put together.

I have to add that there a requirement that when you finally do get this machine home we get to see pictures. We like pictures... LOTS of pictures..    
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:20pm
Hi and welcome.  I'm an Aventum 3 owner since the day they launched.  i'm no pc technician or software developer, but i've been tinkering with them since i owned an AMD FX-57 (single core king) based pc over 12 years ago.  i try to stay current on hardware/tech reviews. 

"future proofing" is a bit of marketing pitch and myth.  even with the pace of new hardware release having slowed some, it still far out paces the investment you'll put into a loaded system config/purchase.  for example, a GTX 1080ti or Titan is the single solution vid card recommended to game at 4K resolution, and yet it doesn't quite allow you to max out settings in ALL graphically intense games AND play at high FPS with the smoothest of game play.  yet before you've fully recouped the investment, some day soon there'll be a vid card that comes out that will crush 4K gaming and you'll want to upgrade, but at the same time feel too invested in what you've already shelled out and feel the need to ride that out as long as possible.  at least for the majority of us that don't feel as if money grows on trees. 

on to the help.  it sounds like your usage/needs/wants are split between work and play.  lots of system memory (RAM) is the way to go for work applications.  it doesn't need to be the fastest memory, just lots of it.  16GB is a comfortable/recommended amount for gaming today, but 32GB+ is recommended for doing any kind of pc "work".  if you're really heavy into video editing/content creation a processor like a Threadripper might be a consideration as it can function well in both gaming/work situations.  but there's no reason a 6 or 8 core proc can't handle regular demands. 

since you'll be gaming/working in an environment that routinely sees 90F, your ambient room temps are going to be high.  you just can't cool a pc on air cooling lower than that.  yes, the fans functionally "wick" the heat from the component, but that's 90F air blowing on components that get much hotter than that.  liquid cooling seems to be the better solution for you, both in terms of heat management and noise control.  a custom LC configuration coupled with hardware/software fan control will allow you to more efficiently control both heat and noise.  to cool both the cpu and the gpu (where most of the noise comes from) will require their "Hydrolux Cpu/Gpu Custom LC" ($1,100 minimum).  a level 4 Lumos with 32GB RAM, a 500GB SSD, and a GTX 970, and the Hydrolux LC should be $3,500 on the nose before taxes.

there are some trade offs.  the more complex a thing the more can go wrong with it and the more attention it requires.  you really have to stay on top of cleaning out dust: from the fans, the radiators, etc.  you have to monitor coolant fluid level-a drop could indicate a leak or loss due to evaporation.  discoloration could indicate algae in the loop or some other contaminant buildup.  the pump could die and cause damage prior to the system shutting down.  my Aventum has DS' most elaborate custom LC loop and it's been an adventure at times.  the cooling has been amazing though, and it allows me to over clock my proc and gpu's to the extreme while keeping the noise lower than you'd expect.  i don't need to run the fans on the rads at full speed, and most of the time the fans don't even kick on 2/3 of the rads because of the passive cooling.  i've had leaks though with the PETG tubing and acrylic distribution blocks they've used.  i've got 1 now that needs attention.  DS has been very attentive to my needs though, and that's where a lot of the value going with them comes from.  i could have them send me the parts and do it myself but i live close enough to drive it in and have them do it. 

it seems, with my rig, i've had to bring it in once a year every year i've had it.  but for 364 days out of the year it's marvelous!

let me give you general advice and a kind of priority checklist. 

1) consider your monitor(s) choice (features, size and type, panel type, speed, etc.) well before you decide on your pc components.  your monitor should always be 1 of your biggest investments/considerations.  you will want to almost 1:1 match how much you spend on pc graphics to how much you spend on your monitor.  for example, i have 2x Asus Strix GTX 980ti's liquid cooled in my rig paired with an Acer Predator XB271HU 144Hz 1440p G-Sync IPS monitor (around $800 when i bought it).  each of the vid cards were around $650 when i bought them.  the LC hardware adds to expense, but isn't included in my 1:1 ratio.  and neither is the second card as i could drive this monitor on a single 980ti.  but you get my drift i hope. 

2) think of each component as a harmony.  you can't skimp in 1 area and splurge in another w/o creating bottlenecks.  for example, a weak cpu paired with a strong graphics card will inevitably lead to the cpu bottlenecking (strangling the performance) the gpu.  what is then the logic in spending the money on an expensive powerful gpu only to throttle it with a weak and relatively inexpensive cpu?  each component in a pc along the way is another source of a potential bottleneck in the flow of commands that transfer data.  that being said, certain components have bigger or lesser degree of impact on the chain.  cpu>gpu being the most important considerations. 

motherboard and power supply for power delivery is where people normally try to skimp and it's a big mistake.  when i choose a power supply i make sure i get enough for the system and then add 10% or more to cover wear and add extra head room.  i also go with high quality in build and components.  if you intend to oc you'll need to factor that into the power requirements as it can draw an extra 100 or more watts. 

i make sure my motherboard is built for over clocking as well.  sound quality and internet connectivity are also features important to me, so i make sure i select a mobo with a higher end audio codec and Intel NIC on it. 

3) make sure everything you select to include in your config is compatible.  check the vendor's lists for compatibility of components on everything.  they have these lists on their web sites.  don't just rely on DS to catch it in testing or on a sales person's personal knowledge (their individual knowledge of the industry can vary widely). 

4) don't just submit a config and purchase over the internet with DS.  if you're going to spend up to 3K that deserves a conversation and personal touch with the build with one of their main community or sales managers.  i guy like Alex has been my go to.  i believe he's the community manager, but he has a lot of pull in the company.  we went back and forth on emails for my config prior to purchase as i had a lot of special order items.  that's another point, special order items add extra cost but it's not really something you can just do with their online configurator. 

with this wall of text in mind i can offer a config example you can use as a template if desired.  or you can refine your build requirements a lot more and i can then make more specific suggestions.  

Edited by db188 - 16 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Black Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:23am
Sorry for my late response, a bunch of stuff is going on over here on my side. The day after I made that post, my life went to hell. I haven't had time to get back to some of you. Alright so, I took a look at the build provided by Cretae, it looks very nice! But didn't cover my space needs for all the old black and white movies I have (Ideally i'd like to evacuate all my external drives), so I had to tweak a little bit, and make some rollbacks elsewhere. My wife saw me tweaking some things, and walked by the office while I was doing this, then made a few suggestions of her own. We both agreed that what DB188 said about needing ram, and future proofing is probably right, you really can't future proof to a no-fault, but we are going to need a lot of space, and a lot of ram. We've decided to hold back on getting a top-of-the-top graphic card for now, since probably thing new out of the box is probably better than my GTX 550 TI (which is what my wife says we have, she knows more about this stuff than me), and she said I should consider a GTX 1070 TI, she looked me in the eye and said, I probably will be amazed, and won't feel bad about not having a GTX 1080 TI, once I see how good the GTX 1070 TI is in comparison to the 550.

Using everything we went over here with the forums, and our conversation together face to face, I'd like to ask if this is shaping up into a good build?

nubatpc View Drop Down

Quote nubatpc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:47am
ur config is set to have a 1070 not a 1070ti u should probably change that before u buy and put gpu overclocking on cz its free

Edited by nubatpc - 25 Jun 2018 at 7:49am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:54am
Your choice for M.2 storage is a SATA 3 device even though its an M.2 form factor. It's faster by far than a HDD, but if you're looking for NVM express speeds, you need the Samsung 970 EVO or the 970 Pro. They are around 500 GB, but that's pretty spacious for a primary drive. You could go 960 EVO for 1TB.

As nubatpc said on your GPU pick. The 1070 Ti and the 960 EVO 1 TB would appear to add about $91. It's not a good idea to oc the video card IMO. Stress the card for 2-3 frame rates is not recommended. The card will run hotter all the time, which means the fans will spin up more often and for longer. And they're loud.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 3:46am
Welcome. Awesome
The above two posters, nubatpc and Cretae, make correct observations as per your request. In particular, Cretae's is important in so far the performance of your OS.
My only comment is that you are already getting a super duper cpu Drooling, definitely no need to oc. Personally I would get W10 Pro and be aware that the std warranty is for only one year parts. A year flies when enjoying your beast.
Keep us posted. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 26 Jun 2018 at 3:48am

Quote Black Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:38am
Going down to 500 gigs isn't an option for me.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 5:41pm
Understand. So the Samsung 1TB 960 EVO NVMe on "clearance" at $252 is the bargain pick for best performance if you want NVM express speeds. Only $57 more than the one you picked.
 Post Reply Post Reply