Planning stages for DS <3++

Post Date: 2009-11-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Planning stages for DS <3++
    Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 1:17pm
Greetings all! I am in the planning stages of purchasing a beautiful rig from DS. I want to wait till at least feburary of 2010 before i pull the trigger due to expenses and new technology I have my eye on (a la fermi's). My budget will be $2500 not including the monitor so we can say it'll be a pretty darn good machine. I want to throw out some general questions to everyone to see the best way to go about my set up.

First off, i will be splitting my time between 2 LCD screens. The first is a 46" samsung (for when the wife isn't home watching those silly reality shows) which will be 1920x1080.. The second and probably more frequent, a 24" 1920x1200 soon to get lcd monitor (probably that NEC on newegg).
This is my first question. To keep it simple, lets take the new ATI 5870 card and pretend i have it now. On the 46" playing at 1920x1080, will i need 2 cards because of the size of the screen to get a solid framerate of 50-60 fps in todays games or can i get away using one? (ie modern warfare 2)

Secondly, I want to get a pair of NICE tower speakers in a 2.1 setup including the subwoofer for my 46" for watching dvds and such. When i want to game, i want to be able to hook those badboys up to my system. Second question. How would i conect those badboys to the pc? I will need a receiver for those speakers and was wondering if i need to connect a cable from the receiver to the soundcard or can i just connect the speakers to the soundcard directly?

Thats all for now. You see i want to hook up everything downstairs so i'll have my pc set up near the 46" and to switch from that to the 24", all i would do is disconnect the cable from on and plug it to the other. I will check this later tonight when im done with work but any feedback suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks!!

- Rob
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 2:51pm
Hmm i just realized this may be in the wrong place.. if an admin could move this to the correct topic, would be fantastic. :)
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 9:25am
I'll bump this because someone will see it shortly who knows more than I on the large monitor side. Ermm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 9:27am
with that low of resolution , that card is more than enough
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 10:24am
Ok thanks :)
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Muz

This is my first question. To keep it simple, lets take the new ATI 5870 card and pretend i have it now. On the 46" playing at 1920x1080, will i need 2 cards because of the size of the screen to get a solid framerate of 50-60 fps in todays games or can i get away using one? (ie modern warfare 2)

Second question. How would i conect those badboys to the pc? I will need a receiver for those speakers and was wondering if i need to connect a cable from the receiver to the soundcard or can i just connect the speakers to the soundcard directly?

- Rob

Hey Rob.
as someone stated the 5870 is enough to power up both.
and as for NEC monitors, I do not recommend, they are so horrible even their high ends. I actually had burn ins with them from LOTR battle for middle earth + wc3
and I think Lineage2

Try out Samsung T series, T260HD (I am currently using) its basically LCD HDTV full 1080p Great natural Contrast (Not dynamic contrast i hate those)
or T240HD they come with built in decent speakers as well, and I figured with HDMI cable you get both Great sound + video (HD5800 series offer Blu-ray Bitstream)  Currently i'm powering up the T260HD + 57" 57732 DLP 1080p
At the same time with 4870x2 (single card) gf watches HD movies on one, while i game play on other both connected to 1 pc.

so if you decide to watch movies and such off blu-ray or your HDD  you get best of both worlds.

2nd as for speakers I stopped using them due to my monitor built in speakers instead if I wanna go all out loud, I slap on my headphones I perfer it over speakers unless I go true surround sound 5.1-7.1
And no reciever is not required (if you're buying a new speaker system 2.1 w/ sub), you can connect it directly to soundcard
(Creative x-Fi recommended)

Razor's 2.1 Is pretty impressive , I think they copied JBL's
and I personally love Logitech Speakers cause they are decent for their value.
A forgotten or discontunued company I praise is Siccurro (i think thats how it's spelled lol)
Some germany company known for good speakers at a low price. Hope that helps
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 12:15pm
Excellant. Thanks :0 Yeah i have a good 46" lcd from samsung the 650b model which i want to rock some call of duty on every now and then when the misses isnt watching Vh1 rock of love and other nonsense lol. I'll keep my out out for the ones you've mentioned.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 2:40pm
np, btw the T series is getting another price drop due to new LED 24-32 Inches being released in Q1 2010 soon.
Don't bother looking into LEDs for monitor use, LED's actually been around since almost the same time as LCD's. only difference now is they just added more LED and jacked up the price. if I had to explain it all, this post isnt big enough lol. But yeah I still praise the T240HD or T260HD.
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:58am
Large TV and gaming = the win Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply