FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please give things to note when upgrading to SSD?

Post Date: 2016-07-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CrazyandLazy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CrazyandLazy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please give things to note when upgrading to SSD?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:30am
I have a LV1 Vanquish with an old hard drive. I have been thinking of upgrading to a 800GB SSD.

I am going to google the nitty gritty details/guide on google but can you guys help me give a general tips/notes I should consider when

1)buying SSDs for 900GB
2)installing SSDs
3)What items do I need to install it
4)What are the stuff I should consider/
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:11pm
the Samsung 1TB Evo is probably the best bang for your buck right now.  

are you just trying to add storage or are you going to want to migrate data from one drive to another?  you'll need software to migrate data.  the Samsung above comes with software, called Magician, that can do it.  otherwise there are free and paid for tools out there.  

installation of drives is pretty easy and they come with instructions.  all you need do is hook up the power and data cables to the power supply and mobo.  once it's hooked up, you partition the drive and then it comes down to the question i asked above of whether it's just an additional drive or one that will be used to house the OS.  it's best to follow the particular drive's documented instructions for installation.  

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 4:41pm
AS db188 said you want the samsung 850 evo or pro, pro has longer warranty, both are great upgrade.

I'm assuming this is your main drive/os drive, if so you want to clone/copy the whole drive over, Magician can do this for you, all you do is install the new drive as an internal or external.

1a. for internal look in your case and locate extra sata data cable and a power cable so that you can connect the new ssd, you should have extra cables with the mobo package you got that has all your extras on it. If for some reason you can't find that package then you need to buy both.

1b. for external you just pop in the ssd in your external enclosure and connect the external to the pc and turn it on.

once you have the ssd connected to the pc (internal or external) you now need to clone/copy the old drive to the new drive. as mentioned the software that comes with samsung ssd called magician can help you do this or you can use acronis as a third party software.

2a. for magician follow their guide/steps in the app.

2b. for acronis clone guide you can follow my clone guide here

3. once you have cloned/copy the drive to the new one, you can simply take out the old drive and put the new ssd in its place.

4. boot up to windows with the old drive no longer connected to test and see if your clone went correctly on the new drive/ssd. With only the ssd in the system now, your pc should be able to boot off of the ssd and go into windows just as it did with the old drive, the only difference should be speed of the boot if you have an hdd right now.

Its is very important to understand that he clone/copy process we are talking about has to be done via one of the softwares mentioned or a software that can do cloning do to the fact that this is very different then drag and drop or copying the content of one drive to another from inside of windows.

Now if this is just a storage drive then you can actually go ahead and drag and drop content from one drive to another but not if its an os drive.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Jul 2016 at 4:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply