FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Light Server Function/Solution?

Post Date: 2017-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Possible Light Server Function/Solution?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:23pm
Budget:
$3000

Expectations:
Minimum system lag that is reasonably quick with software updates in regards to reading/writing, loading games/programs, etc. May possibly go SLI later on down the road with the 1080 or a 1080Ti.

Usage:
Gaming at 1440p 100+Hz, web browsing, data storage/backups for both this Win10 system and a Win7 Ultimate laptop.

Special Needs:
Need a storage solution(approx. 3-4 Tb) with minimum headaches. USB drives are too troublesome with Intel Rapid Storage Tech.

Specifications:
Right now I'm trying to configure a Slade:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

PS: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

EXPANSION BAY:
Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (Internal)

STORAGE:
Primary OS drive
1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2
1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)

OPTICAL DRIVE:
DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)

GRAPHICS:
1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

COOLING:
H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

CHASSIS FANS:
Corsair Airflow Performance Edition Fans (Red/Blue/White Rings)

CPU BOOST:
Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

OS BOOST:
Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

RECOVERY TOOLS:
Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)

KEYBOARD:
CM Storm Devastator II Bundle (Red LED Edition) (Gaming Keyboard & Gaming Mouse)

As I said, I'll be needing some kind of back-up/storage solution, preferably one that doesn't rely on Universal Serial Busted drives for this system. They can be a real ball ache at times when trying to eject them or if you don't plug them in at the correct time, due to Intel RST.
Would a mechanical Hard Drive Hot Swap bay be an acceptable solution? What are some of the differences(pros/cons) between this and a USB hard drive?

As I said before, one of my main issues with USB drives(I use the Seagates since I've never had one fail yet) is they can be finicky sobs when you want to disconnect them. I've also already had one stay on even after the laptop shut down, and upon unplugging the USB drive, turned the drive into a paperweight.

It would be nice if I could use the Hot Swap bay on this desktop for the laptop as well(via Wi-Fi since they would both be connected to the same network at home) where I could just swap drives whenever I want to do backups or whatever for either system. I guess in a way, I would be using this desktop as an occasional server for the laptop when it comes to doing backups. Thoughts? Or is this a stupid idea?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:50pm
Ok looks good, fir best read/write/least lag go wuth samsung 960 m.2 for OS.

I backup(clone) my windows also (7/10). If I may, the best idea fir backup is an external with drive like wd red pro. I simply rotate the clone drive in the external depending on which system I'm Cloning. Once I'm done external is disconnected keeping it safe and sound.

I have another external that is connected 24/7 that bacjs up certain apps automatically once a day, that is backed up to a wd red pro.

Not sure what you are doing with usb drives but uf you are taking about external drives that use usb connections, then all you have to do is turn the external off before you disconnect, otherwise you corrupt the data/drive.

1080 ti will be more than you need for 1440p, no need for sli.

Change cooling to H115i

Drop os boost

Check Amazon and others for keyboard and etc to insure you are getting the best price

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Nov 2017 at 2:54pm
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Ok looks good, fir best read/write/least lag go wuth samsung 960 m.2 for OS.

I backup(clone) my windows also (7/10). If I may, the best idea fir backup is an external with drive like wd red pro. I simply rotate the clone drive in the external depending on which system I'm Cloning. Once I'm done external is disconnected keeping it safe and sound.

I have another external that is connected 24/7 that bacjs up certain apps automatically once a day, that is backed up to a wd red pro.

Not sure what you are doing with usb drives but uf you are taking about external drives that use usb connections, then all you have to do is turn the external off before you disconnect, otherwise you corrupt the data/drive.

1080 ti will be more than you need for 1440p, no need for sli.

Change cooling to H115i

Drop os boost

Check Amazon and others for keyboard and etc to insure you are getting the best price

The Samsung 960 m.2 SSD might be more of a luxury for me, but I'll look into it. My concern with this option is that I'll be paying for more speed than I'll ever use since my multi-tasking doesn't encompass frequent transfers of huge chunks of data.

The OS boost is so I can have any unnecessary resource hogs or other nonsense I would never use disabled(i.e. Cortana), if possible. I don't know about Win10, but Win7 had a particularly annoying program called CompatTelRunner.exe that would run whenever it wanted, and when it did run, it would eat up a lot of system resources. Unnecessary stuff like that I want to have disabled on the OS so I don't run into problems with it later on down the road.

The issue with USB drives is sometimes they don't want to disconnect properly and you have no choice but to physically pull the plug out(which can corrupt the data). I've had my system shut down with the USB drive still plugged into the USB 3.0 port when I had to leave it unattended for several hours. Odd thing about it is upon my return, the USB drive was still running with the light on despite the laptop being shut down.

What are the advantages of going with an H115i vs Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler? I will not be overclocking the cpu beyond the standard Turbo Boost, so I don't want to go overboard with the cpu cooler if it isn't necessary.

Made a few minor changes: Motherboard & OS drive.
New config code: 1779762
$3,087.00
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 5:38pm
Never had that problem with win 7 but that might be just mme, but let's be honest with these systems there is so much power that if a little windows stuff bugs down the system then there is something wrong with the system. With 8700k and 16GB of memory if windows could even make my system blink I would return that system.

As a matter of fact I will put my win10 against anybody who has had stuff disabled and I promise that I will match or beat.

I think you are taking about a usb drive and I'm taking about external hdd /ssd that uses usb for connection, cause I h ave never experienced what you are taking about. What you are referring to sounds lije a usb drive that is failing and not and external drive that uses usb.

I use [url=http://www.icydock.com/goods_cat.php?id=129]I use icydock external and never had any problems losing data or drive due to icydock losing connection, and I always just turn off icydock before I remove any drives, I also use a different external that holds only one drive. keep in mind shutting down system is not the same as shutting down icydock or external enclosure.

Th e h115i is the newest version, it is bigger and has the best warranty and shot at quality.

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Nov 2017 at 10:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply