Post Date: 2014-01-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bullet_Speak View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bullet_Speak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Possibly Jumping Ship
    Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 10:04pm
Hey guys, I've never purchased a pre-made system before and usually shrugged them off without much thought to it ultimately.

However, as of late, I've been getting a bit frustrated. I've got a computer that by all means should decimate most games out there and instead I am struggling at times to get them to run even decently on this self-made rig.

System specs:
Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz Processor
680GTX 4GB EVGA SC'd Video Card
16GB RAM
750w Thermaltake SMART Series PSU
Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Windows 8.1 OS

I can plummet into 20frames on GW2 during WvW and sometimes even in random spots outside of WvW at around 40fps.

The Secret World set to DX11 is extremely flaky.

BF4 runs pretty damn good at high to ultra with 2xAA but I would like to max it absolutely with a constant 60fps.

Same goes for all of these games. I want to push what my system can do and for some strange reason I get this feeling that purchasing a 780 Ti isn't going to change much for me.

So my question is, do the Digital Storm systems have these sort of oddball issues with games even when they should be stomping the unholy tar out of them or are they more reliable?

Because I've been considering jumping ship off the "DIY" train if there is honestly issues so small and hard to read that an otherwise awesome system runs in a questionable manner without any explanation.

All opinions and thoughts on this transition are welcome.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 7:24am
Hi Bullet_Speak....Welcome to the forums.  Your problem isn't a new one at all.  I have seen posts of gaming with a gtx 690, or sli gtx 680, etc where a game like GW2 or Secret World will falter and drop frames into the 30's.  Others with a less powerful system will run it maxed out with no issues.  With some, DX 9 is better and others DX 11 works best.

MMO's are a lot more gpu/cpu hungry than a lot of people think with some in game settings maxed out. 
If BF 4 runs great then its probably just the game causing the issue, whether the settings just need to be tweaked  down a bit, or drivers, or a latest patch just made things worse.

No easy answers.   We hear it all the time. 

You have a strong system.  A gtx 780ti is obviously stronger but not sure it would fix your concerns.   Way too many variables. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Jan 2014 at 7:25am
Bullet_Speak View Drop Down

Quote Bullet_Speak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Bullet_Speak....Welcome to the forums.  Your problem isn't a new one at all.  I have seen posts of gaming with a gtx 690, or sli gtx 680, etc where a game like GW2 or Secret World will falter and drop frames into the 30's.  Others with a less powerful system will run it maxed out with no issues.  With some, DX 9 is better and others DX 11 works best.MMO's are a lot more gpu/cpu hungry than a lot of people think with some in game settings maxed out.  If BF 4 runs great then its probably just the game causing the issue, whether the settings just need to be tweaked  down a bit, or drivers, or a latest patch just made things worse.No easy answers.   We hear it all the time.  You have a strong system.  A gtx 780ti is obviously stronger but not sure it would fix your concerns.   Way too many variables. 

I am not so sure either.

The only suggestion most can give me is to either "overkill" it with a 780 Ti or build a weaker, alternate system.

Y'know, one that has a more common video card, processor, etc... as MMOs tend to utilize lower common denominators to reach the most people.

Which I've never considered working in reverse but it makes some sense. Definitely in the processor compartment. It wouldn't shock me to see an i5 instead of my i7 suddenly jump the frames a great deal on some of these games I am having difficulty with.

First things first. Getting a 780 Ti for this rig to run Warlords of Draenor, Elder Scrolls Online, and Wildstar at max settings. Being new MMO titles and the i7's less rare in the household along with the 680 (or similar) powered GPUs... I might be getting a much better experience with MMOs this year.

Especially The Division, if it ever comes out before 2015. >\

Edited by Bullet_Speak - 13 Jan 2014 at 6:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply