FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Probably not...

Post Date: 2017-03-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SabreTalon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Probably not...
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 6:32pm
I just took a survey for my recent purchase of a Vanquish 5. I really wish that the option "probably not" was a part of the form. "Unlikely" is a part of it, but I feel that the other captures how I feel at the moment. After ordering the system and only just getting it set up, I got the wonderful blue screen. Never before have I gotten such a surprise two hours out of the box. Now let me be clear, a tech sat on the phone for several hours to try to help me fix the problem, but it was to no avail. Something in the hardware is shot. As a Dell customer for years before this, I have never had such an experience. Of course, I've sent it back, but it will take a week to get there. A week. Then I'm sure the folks there will discover the problem and replace the hardware (I'm betting a corrupt/damaged hard drive). Then another week back. All during this time I'm paying for a computer I don't have... my last computer finally went to having problems after 6 years. It's not available for me to have something to work with so I'm going without for a long while. Had I ordered a Dell, I would have received it faster and would have gone years without an issue. At least, that's been my previous experience with multiple systems. And I already have the Dell account. So why did I go with DS this time? That's a good question. A better question might be would I ever go with DS again? Answer - probably not.
Yeah, I'm a camper and I just noobed you. You're welcome, by the way. Good times...good times...
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:11pm
How do you figure this? Being that you're ordering a system online, probably from a different state or the other side of the country, its going to take a couple of weeks.
I've also had a Dell system fail on me after 3 months due to a bad hard drive and I ended up having to wait about the same amount of time, and this was way back when they offered on-site support without much hassle and actually sent someone to your house to replace a bad part.

Most likely one of your system components was damaged due to mishandling during the shipping process. It doesn't take much for this to happen; or it could just be a component went bad/failed when you tried to start it up. I know it really sucks when you don't have another system to fall back on, but it can and does happen, regardless of who you order a system from.

Keep in mind that Dell:
1) Is a much bigger company.
2) Outsources its tech support and can be very irritating to navigate through.
3) Much less flexibility in its systems.
4) Has its own custom diagnostics tools built into their systems.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:37pm
I've owned five Dell computers, counting those for myself, my wife and kids. Never had one DOA and the shortest-lived one before any major issue was 5 years old. It's disappointing to get one as a first and it be unusable. I'm hoping it can be fixed quickly, but it's 7 days by UPS ground - their calculation, not mine. The return is being paid by DS, and ground is what they chose. I'm in Arkansas and I sent it Friday. It only just today got as far as Missouri. That's the way UPS ground works... slow.
Yeah, I'm a camper and I just noobed you. You're welcome, by the way. Good times...good times...
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:41pm
Dell has its own much larger share(simply due to the larger diversity of customers they handle) of customers that had systems from them arrive DOA. To my knowledge, Dell does not use expedited shipping either. So you would basically be in the same boat with a DOA system no matter who you order from.

There's only 2 other options:
1) Build your own.
2) Have a local shop build it.
And even then, there's always the chance that "something" fails and you're still left waiting and either at the mercy of the local shop or having all of the responsibility of troubleshooting and fixing it yourself.

It all comes down to opportunity cost and what you're willing to sacrifice to get what you want.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:12pm
Shorter time of arrival post-order when I went with Dell (typically a week) as opposed to 3+ weeks for testing with DS. Never had a Dell DOA, so I guess I can't really compare shipping return speeds. However, the fact that after buying 5 systems with them... that says something to me. I guess the anticipation that was built up to a crescendo on my part with the long build time and testing has caused an even greater disappointment. Regardless, my experience with Dell was so much better. I'm not trying to minimize anyone else's experience with DS... just venting my own experience.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:40pm
The reasons I would choose DS over Dell for my next desktop are:
-If and when something goes wrong, I'm going to be talking to someone on the phone here in the US that I can understand.
-I will have the choice of purchasing a system that has more upgrade options instead of being limited by mass-produced models like what Dell builds.
-No proprietary nonsense or bloat-ware on the system.

This is not saying either one is any better than the other. This is my personal preference based on my experience with Dell systems. They are reliable, but I want more out of a desktop than what they offer. If it means having to wait longer on build & shipping times, so be it.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:05pm
Good point. But with five systems, the only time I ever had to call Dell was for my last system to get a $17 recovery and restore USB after switching out a hard drive that had finally succumbed to a trojan...5 years after buying the system from Dell. Used that computer another year before ordering the DS rig. The motherboard started getting a little frappy on me, so I figured I would give DS a try. Well...So now I wait. The fact is the Dell systems worked great. I'm not a devout Dell fanboy, though. I really had hoped to see this new DS system roll. Unfortunately that's not to be for a while. However, I have made the first payment on a computer I don't have yet. All the American English speaking reps in the world won't help that at this point.
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:14am
I have owned hp, dell and lenevo's and they have all served their purpose well as basic productive machines and some have had failures during their lifetime. My main frustration came when I wanted to upgrade beyond the basic RAM and vid card- it was near impossible!
DS serves a different kind of consumer- one who wants to have a custom built machine to focus on gaming without the hassle of building his/her own rig. Like with anything we buy in life- components can and will fail to our disappointment. Anyone who has owned a car knows this feeling :) Having built my own rig 5 yrs ago- and having the motherboard fail within a week was not a reflection upon my build- but a manufacture defect. Hopefully the team at DS will make this right for you
Apollo i7-7700 1070
Ordered: 2-12-17
Stage 1: 2-14-17
Stage 2 & 3: 2-16-17
Stage 4 & 5: 2-21-17
Stage 6: 2-23-17
Stage 7: 2-25-17
TiMTaM View Drop Down

Quote TiMTaM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:21am
I know you're upset man, but things happen. I feel really bad for you, and I understand how frustrating it is. But I have no doubt once your get your PC back and it runs you will forget the troubles you had with it and enjoy some gaming time. I have had my Digital Storm PC for nearly 3 years now (back when they were the Vanquish 2 lol) and it still runs perfectly. Hope everything works out for you!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:30am
A computer from Dell is not the same as a high-performance PC from us. The hardware we use are built from quality brands, but each one is different, a system from Dell has a Dell power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell memory, Dell hard drives, etc...

We do as much as we can to stress-test every system (I can send you reports showing that your unit ran perfectly here before it shipped).

It's in our best interest to ensure our customers receive a working product, trust me, as we have to provide warranty and support service.

I'm sorry you've had an issue, we will try our best to get you up and running, as you've seen with our support staff. I know it's not ideal to be without your system, we wish we could offer loaners, but we are a small business that offers a specialized solution.

Hang in there, feel free to contact me for updates via email "[email protected]". Thanks!

P.S.
I'll be moving your thread to the "Customer Service" section shortly.

Edited by Alex - 22 Mar 2017 at 9:31am
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:33am
Dell.
Yes I also HAD many Dells. I just got rid of my old XPS 600 and as far as I'm concerned that was the last of the good Dells.
My last Dell product was a top of the line Alienware x17 laptop. Bought that back in 09. And it was garbage right away. I must have talked to 20 people from India, Pakistan, Panama, and finally, finally USA. Hours and hours on the phone. Did I say hours? It was beyond horrible. Ended up getting my AG to take a case against Dell and BBB got involved. They(Dell) finally sent me a new laptop, reconditioned!!!!!! Sent that back. Then all of a sudden I hear from Alienware Florida and low and behold I get a new laptop(they got a letter from my AG).

WHY do I like DS? WHY do I have 4 systems from them?
Customer care. And yes nobody is perfect. I will NEVER buy another Dell computer. I do like Dell monitors.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:20am
Five Dells (six if you count the Dell tablet I bought a few years ago with the Atom processor - works okay for young kids, but I don't suggest it)...no issues. I still have a Dell laptop I bought 11 years ago that still works, though it's a little slow with Vista on it.

Yes, Dell has many Dell components. However, my XPS 8300 (the one I'm attempting to replace with a DS system after 6 years) came with an ATI Radeon 6800 series video card (still a good one after all of these years) Intel chips, a Seagate hard drive (2 Tb), 16 Gb of RAM, an i7 processor (quad-core, 3.4 GHz) - which is not a "Dell" branded item...so on and so on. So, my experience, once again not to knock anyone else's experience, has been good with Dell. I took a wild shot into the dark to try out a Digital Storm system. I've taken these sorts of risks before, buying my wife a Lenovo desktop this past year...good computer so far. Honestly, I liked what I saw on YouTube concerning Digital Storm and these computers and I'm looking forward to actually getting to use the computer.

But...
1. I realize things happen...but DOA almost immediately out of the box? Fine - maybe UPS didn't handle it the way they should have. Could have something to do with ground shipping?

2. That ground shipping...a WEEK one-way. Holy cow, really? I guess this frustrates me as much as anything. A one-week shipping time one-way means two weeks total both ways - JUST for shipping.

3. Digital Storm builds the hype of receiving the system with the "stress testing," etc. Okay, I know you folks are working hard to make a great computer system and you want to be sure I get a system that is great out of the box. I'm actually not really coming down on you for this, except to say that something went wrong. If it's the shipping process that caused this, is there another way? Maybe it's shipping by ground that's the issue? UPS does offer better avenues for shipping. And yeah, it's more expensive. But I got a damaged system, whether it was before or after the shipping process doesn't matter to me. I just want to receive a system that I can use for the next 5-10 years (as I have the Dells I've owned) without the hassle of spending several hours on a phone trying to download another copy of Win 10 and put it on the computer before discovering that doesn't work.

4. And finally...props to the guy I talked with on the phone at Digital Storms. He was great. Absolutely great. And yes, he was American and spoke fluent English (that's a nice point). He went through everything step by step and even took control of my wife's computer to go and get a copy of Win 10 to try to load back on the DS computer. The guy deserves a raise...he worked really hard. However (you knew this was coming, right?) - Why not put a USB drive in the box with the computer that contains everything needed to completely restore the computer to factory? It would have saved a LOT of time, and I'm guessing would have been cheaper than having your guy on the phone with me for several hours trying to get things downloaded. Maybe there are issues with having a copy in the box like that, such as with Microsoft and their copyright issues, but surely some sort of recovery disk or USB with everything on it would make things easier. I didn't even have time to do a backup or recovery disk before the system died. It was on my "to-do" list with the computer, but I was busy installing the McAfee that came with the system and getting it ready for my use. Then blue screen not long after - ugh.

So, once again, I realize there are LOADS of happy DS customers around. I can certainly see why. However, it's the only system so far (except for an HP I bought from Sears in the mid-nineties...what a poor decision that was) that I've had this sort of problem with. The shipping times add to the aggravation as well, along with the fact there is no recovery method other than relying upon either the Windows "recovery" after the blue screen or going and downloading another copy of Win 10 from Microsoft's site. Anyway, I'm finished ranting. I will wait until Digital Storm assesses the computer and comes up with a solution. I've made the first payment already, so I guess I'm in this for the long haul.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:27am
With regards to shipping i live in Arkansas and i used USPS when i bought my system and it took a week
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:34am
Okay, UPS ground is notoriously slow - all the more reason I'm a little irritated by the fact that the system arrived and almost immediately began throwing a blue screen.

Like I've said throughout, this was a disappointment in that I ventured away from a brand I have had success with since the early 2000's to try out DS. First impressions are meaningful, and the first impression I have of a system that two hours out of a box is unusable is pretty poor. My mind may very well be changed on this eventually - I sincerely hope so. I'm hoping that I'll get the system back and that it will roar to life like the computer it should be and continue to be a great computer for years. But what if it arrives with the same or other problems? What then? THAT would really cause me to blow a gasket, but I'm waiting to see what happens. I think they'll find the issue and fix it and more than likely it will work great. It will have to work great for a few years for me to feel that I've gotten the same service from it I've gotten from multiple Dell computers. If problems persist and I continue to have to deal with shipping there and back...well, something will have to be done at that point. Continuing to make payments on something I don't have or that I can't use won't be an option any more.

As for Dell shipping (I think they have multiple locations they ship from) - I looked back in my emails from 2011 (yes, I keep all emails related to purchasing) and it took seven days from the point of order to when I received my last XPS system. The shipping was UPS and took 3 days. However, it might have shipped from Texas, but I can't find that info in particular. I also had a one-year service contract that automatically came with the system for in-home repair, but I never used it. Didn't need to. Not that I expect the same from Digital Storm; I've always found some promises of service a bit overrated. But, that's my experience with Dell.

I am HOPING for a good experience with the DS computer when if finally gets back to me. From what people have said in the forums I'm assuming that I will - once it's back to me. Until then, if someone in my family came to me and asked about whether they should get a DS system or if one of my kids asked for a DS system for college - I would at this point reply, "Nope." If I end up with this system working well for three, four, or five years with no issues - well, then I might be swayed to say, "Sure, why not?"

My worst experience with a computer before this one was the HP I bought at Sears. I had a bad feeling about buying one from Sears in the first place in the latter nineties. My first computer came from Radio Shack in 1992, and I had figured I would be back at Radio Shack to get another eventually. However, in about 1997 I went for the HP on sale at Sears and about a month later it just died...completely and utterly went black screen and never came back. It was more than likely a bad power supply (I didn't have a clue about pc's so much at that time)but all I had to do was box it up, go to Sears a few miles away, and exchange it. That's it. The same day it died I had another in its place for the cost of about forty miles worth of gas. I've had no other problems like that with the other systems I've owned - apparently blessed in this respect as I read others' comments here.

Sorry for the rants, though. I can tell folks are diehard DS fans here. The fact is, I hope that I will become one too. I'm just waiting to see if that will be the case. Oh, and again...the tech support on the phone was fantastic. The guy really does deserve a raise for working as hard as he did.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:39pm
Ok, I'm going to chime in here... Let me take off my moderator/DS fan boy hat for a minute... and relate a few things. Perhaps they'll mean something to you, perhaps not, that's out of my control.

Background: I have been moving freight since 1982, in various capacities, state to state, country to country, etc. I have handled everything from money right from the federal Mints, to explosives for mining operations; from 15 tons of worthless crap to $22Million loads. So I have a bit of perspective on ALL aspects of shipping/receiving.

Your computer means a lot to you. No matter who builds it, no matter what you buy, you want it to work for you right out of the box and you want to be happy. We all do. But guess what? The shipping company doesn't care. The driver that picked it up is late on his route... the lumpers back at the warehouse are looking at getting his truck empty to move onto the next one... the belts the box is put on, scanned, sorted, shoved into another container have no feelings, then it is shoved into a rail car for trips over 1K miles from CA, or another trailer for shorter trips, to getting unloaded by more under paid lumpers, thrown into another trailer to your local facility, back into another truck to get to your house.... Not ONE of those people care about your computer. It's just a box. One of hundreds, if not thousands. What's worse, it's a heavy one.

It got dropped, guaranteed. It got kicked, guaranteed. it got tossed, guaranteed. It got stuff stacked on it, guaranteed. "Fragile" "This End Up" "Do NOT Stack" They all look good to the vendor and the customer, but to everyone in-between they might as well be written in hieroglyphics. THEY MEAN NOTHING.

To me it's a bloody miracle that anything arrives not completely busted into thousands of small pieces.

Why did I choose DS originally? Because I live close by and local pick up is an option. I live near Silicon Valley and there are lots of builders here, DS had what I wanted and I could go get it. I was NOT going to ship it.

Since I got the machine and learned more about the company and how they treat people AFTER the sale, I've become a die hard fan. Even volunteering my time to keep these forums free from the spammers, etc.

I read the points on what went wrong with your machine when you got it. Points 1 and 2 are the shipper's fault. All DS can do is make it right. AS for Point 3 DS still has to pay for shipping back and forth for the return. Even if they submit a claim, the paperwork for the damaged system will take weeks if not months to clear, meaning that DS is taking a loss even to move your system back to get fixed for something the SHIPPING COMPANY is responsible for doing. I understand you wanting it sooner, but how much of a loss is DS going to have to incur? Could they overnight it? Yea, they could. Does it make sense to operate at a loss? Not really. The shipping company will reimburse a portion of the LOWEST SHIPPING POSSIBLE to reimburse DS.

Shipping companies suck. I know, I'm neck deep in the culture.

Your machine was working when it left. DS has pictures and test results to prove it TO THE SHIPPER if they have to. These pictures they take are for claims such as these and for DS records.

Let me finish with this... DS would rather have a customer than a sale. They'll make it right.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm
Oh and for the record... the last Dell computer I owned was an eMachine. I'll NEVER own another Dell. I'd rather use an apple product long before I'd every stoop that low again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:19pm
I had a number of Dells and they did work reliably, except the last one, But they did have very good in home service and sent a replacement in a week or two.   I really couldn't complain about their service other than trying to understand the tech. on the phone.

But, their boxes were very proprietary and didn't have much flexibility in upgrading, except the graphics card.   Plus, for the money, just didn't compare to a DS true gaming rig.    They do work, imho, but not the same money per performance.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm
Comparing a mass produced item with a custom built one is not fair to either.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:56pm
Well, like I've said repeatedly, I don't mean to detract from anyone else's experience. I had multiple Dells with no problems. My wife has a Lenovo and no problems. The Dells came through shipping, and I would assume underwent some of the same stresses as any DS machine. The box itself was in good condition, though a little dirty from the UPS truck - no dings, dents or tears. The computer case was in good shape. No obvious signs of abuse, but then again it really doesn't take a lot to mess up a regular hard drive (better reason for getting solid state).

Like I said, I'm looking forward to getting the computer back and seeing what it can do. So far, all I know it can do is download and install McAfee antivirus. That's about as far as I got before it blue screened. We'll see what happens once I have it back.
kennyforyourthoughts View Drop Down

Quote kennyforyourthoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:40pm
Just bad luck, not much else to it. It happens from time to time and it has nothing to do with the brand that sold you the PC.

All electronic manufacturers know there are some failures that make it to the market and yours might've happened to be one. Or poor handling.
Purpletalon55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Purpletalon55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 1:31pm
Digital Storm has amazing customer service, My computer had a major issue which we still don't know whether it was windows or not, caused it basically not allow me to install anything and any .exe file was saying not supported. Well the guy stayed on the phone for like 5 hours including 2-3 hours past closing time to help me fix my pc even getting windows installed again from scratch.

I need to get a new pc soon just cannot afford it right now, and I will certainly look at digital storm as being my #1 option.

kennyforyourthoughts View Drop Down

Quote kennyforyourthoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Purpletalon55

Digital Storm has amazing customer service, My computer had a major issue which we still don't know whether it was windows or not, caused it basically not allow me to install anything and any .exe file was saying not supported. Well the guy stayed on the phone for like 5 hours including 2-3 hours past closing time to help me fix my pc even getting windows installed again from scratch.

I need to get a new pc soon just cannot afford it right now, and I will certainly look at digital storm as being my #1 option.

Not often you'd see anyone staying past their closing time just to help a customer. Must've been one of the coolest guys ever.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:07am
Well, I got an email late yesterday saying it's about to ship back to me. It will take about a week to get here, and I'm hoping that the ride will be a smooth one. According to an email from the tech who worked on it, they basically can find nothing wrong with the hardware. No mention as to if there were corrupted files or if there were missing drivers. However, I'm having a hard time believing there is absolutely nothing wrong when I got multiple BSOD's two hours after setting it up. We'll see, though. If it comes to me defective this time, I'm going to ask for a full rebuild or a full refund. I'm hoping all will be well when it gets to me, but I'll video-record everything from the setup to the first several hours of runtime just to be certain I have whatever documentation is necessary to show what is happening should it happen again.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:56am
If you still have issues, I would ensure the unit is plugged directly into the wall outlet to see if it's a power delivery problem. We've seen this occur.

Also, it could be a device plugged into the PC that is not compatible with your operating system.

Our support team can help pinpoint the problem, as of right now, the unit is running great.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
Well, the only device I had plugged in, other than a mouse and a keyboard (I had assumed it uses a mouse and a keyboard?) is a monitor. They all are fine with Windows 10, which I am guessing you are talking about? I can see if the drivers are not up to date for the GPU there being a problem, but they are updated now, correct?

It's risky to not plug something into a good surge protector, especially with expensive components. Are you saying that the power supply in the computer is already equipped to handle any surge spikes? I'm great with it going straight into the wall if that's the case. Otherwise, I can't see going straight to the wall with absolutely no protection as I've done with all of my previous computers.

Edited by SabreTalon - 04 Apr 2017 at 12:12pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:08pm
I and others have "fixed" BSOD and crashing problems by bypassing their surge protectors and going right to the wall.   It does work in certain cases.

Power supplies do have surge protection but it varies with the quality of the supply. I would still recommend a surge protector because every surge takes a piece of protection out of the unit.   Whether the surge protector uses clamping diodes, varsitors, etc, they all have a limited life. Power supplies don't normally work as good as even cheap surge protection.   

I have never had the problem personally, and I never heard what the customers that had it actually did in the end, but my guess is to try a different surge protector or a UPS, uninterruptible power supply, rated to handle their particular load.

If you live in a clean, problem free power grid then a cheaper surge protector or just the psu will work.   Of course, your other components, like the monitor, should be protected.   If you live in a dirtier, more problem area then more expensive options are needed.

I would wait and see what happens when you get the rig back. BSOD can be so many things, like hardware, software just loaded or uninstalled, ....

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:18pm
I'll probably invest in a better UPS with battery backup anyway to get the best out of this. I can't stand the thought of plugging in without a protector at all, though. In our area, the power company is terrible about "resetting" lines about once every few months. The power goes off for ten seconds then comes back on. I don't trust them to not destroy my electronics, so I have surge protectors on everything. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll plan on getting an UPS power supply.

Edited by SabreTalon - 04 Apr 2017 at 1:19pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:47pm
That's the way to go.   

Just a FYI.... I had couple of BSOD just by uninstalling FanSpeed software used to regulate the system fans.   I've done it with no issues and then with crashing.   Just by unplugging the rig, holding in power on button for several seconds to "flush" the motherboard, then it was good to go.   Another time just hard rebooting fixed one.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:12pm
We have bad power down here (S Fl) because of all the trees touching power lines and we have UPSs' on everything electronic. Never have a problem except changing batteries every once in a while.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 3:14pm
Well, I need to change the title of my original post to "Absolutely NOT." I got the system back today after two weeks. Set it up (by the way, video recorded a lot of this) and no sooner had I turned it on and gotten to the sign-in screen but I got the SAME BSOD...over and over again just like the first time. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? When I spoke with the tech at DS a couple of weeks back she told me essentially that there wasn't anything wrong with the computer. REALLY??? It went through BSOD over and over that time as well. So, I set it up today and it's over and over like the last time. I'm so damned tired of this. WHY the hell did I EVER take a risk on this machine?

I want my money back...ALL of it, including my shipping. I want UPS to pick it up at my house. I'm not driving a 100 mile round-trip to return this hunk of sh*t. I'm done...give me my money back so that I can go get a damned DELL like I should have done in the first place.

Ohhh...and your POS phone tree is garbage too. Sat on there fifteen minutes listening to "your call will be answered in 4 minutes" over and over until it dropped my call. What little chance there was of salvaging this customer relationship is over. I'm done with you.

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:44pm
An update: It appears DS will be giving me a full refund, including the shipping that I originally paid. At least that's a plus here. Though I had attempted to be a Digital Storm owner, it apparently was not meant to be. I'll update again once I have received the refund and this can be behind me as well as DS. I thought it would be fair to the company to post this message, considering management is going to take back the computer.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 2:28am
Sorry you were still having same problem but as you can see DS does stand behind its service to the consumer commitment. I have to wonder if you used surge strip/ups or powered directly to the outlet but irrelevant at this point.Disappointed Good luck with your next system.Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 4:36am
Sorry to see that there are issues. Like hoserator says, Good luck with the next system.

I'd like to visit DS and bring that system to my place to test for a few years...

Quote SabreTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 4:46am
Originally posted by hoserator

Sorry you were still having same problem but as you can see DS does stand behind its service to the consumer commitment. I have to wonder if you used surge strip/ups or powered directly to the outlet but irrelevant at this point.Disappointed Good luck with your next system.Smile

I bought a new UPS to handle any issues in that regard, paying about $100 for it. I can't and won't plug a PC straight into the wall around here.

Edited by SabreTalon - 13 Apr 2017 at 4:47am
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:15am
I wonder that the BSOD code was? Was any research done to figure that part out?    I know that a yr or so ago on another system I had an issue which was tied to my headphones shorting out and causing issues with my usb port. Another time multiple BSOD's due to a faulty driver. For a 100 mile round trip- I would have had DS boot it up right in front of my eyes.
I am sorry you had such a horrid experience.
Apollo i7-7700 1070
Ordered: 2-12-17
Stage 1: 2-14-17
Stage 2 & 3: 2-16-17
Stage 4 & 5: 2-21-17
Stage 6: 2-23-17
Stage 7: 2-25-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>