FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PS3's wonderful downscaling..

Post Date: 2008-12-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PS3's wonderful downscaling..
    Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 12:44am

Title pretty much says it all... Im pissed and have been for a month or two now.. Half the games that come out are not even displayed in 1080p.

I have a 1080p tv that was about 1,800$ and instead of getting the resolution I prefer my ps3 gets to pick for me according to the games optimal resolution.

So much for ps3 being the future of 1080p and all that hyped up junk.

Instead of it living up to all its glory its turned into a pos that downscales the signal to 720p...

Ive called sony and they never fix the issue let alone talk to you without reading off a sheet.

Times like these that make me happy i bought an xbox 360...
hybRiD View Drop Down

Quote hybRiD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 9:00pm
I also have a PS3 and have been a tad disappointed with the way Sony is handling their system. In itself the system is beautiful, and it's laid out in a nice way. Plus 90% of their games are excellent, mainly exclusives. It's just little things (little to me at least) that keep picking away at their system.

One thing, for example, is that I can never get my headsets to sync with my system. No matter what I do I can't get my Socom headset to link up. It's making me furious. I have an HDTV with 1080p also. I hope the future games that come out in the coming months will be better.

(From the way it's looking, I'm thinking 2009 will be PS3's time.)

Rhyme not intended.
Disenchantment: Add me on Steam.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 11:06pm
guys the games themselves need to be in 1080P, Sony has no control over that, if you get a movie that is 720P, ps3 can't upscale it and show it to you at 1080P you need a receiver that up converts.
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 9:32pm
And you do not want to upconvert your games
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2009 at 2:27am

Well.. my tv was upconverting the signal to 1080p for awhile, then it stopped doing that because of the firmware upgrades that sony forces on you with there new games...

But for real.. Is it to much to ask to play games in 1080p? The xbox360 can do it..

Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2009 at 2:48am
not all xbox games are at 1080p either.
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
Zurginator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Zurginator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 2:59pm
*cough*noconsolerendersgamesat1080*cough*

ALL games on PS3 or 360 are rendered at 720p or lower, then upscaled to whatever resolution it ouputs. Halo 3 for instance is rendered at 640p.
Techkai View Drop Down

Quote Techkai Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:06pm
ps3 is also great for movies I had mine for two years and it upscales dvds near 720p or as close as it can get it and blu-ray movies are great to. My reason for buying my ps3 seems to be the black sheep, I mainly use mine as movie player Evil%20Smile

netflix+ps3=Winz 7
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 11:02am

Another PS3 owner. Yeah, I mainly bought mine to use it as a Blu-Ray and DVD player, although I do play a lot of games on it (Shatter, Arkham Asylum, Rachet & Clank). I also preview a lot of games with a Gamefly subscription, something I can't do with my PC ( I don't like downloading demos ).

As far as 1080p goes, ~shrug~. Some games, like Shatter, look great and don't feature that. 1080p's just icing on the cake for me, and I've got a 40+" Samsung HDTV also.

My biggest complaint is cleaning it properly. I think opening it up voids the warranty, and I'm concerned about the dust getting into it. The sucker runs hot, and eats up wattage, I was surprised when watching my UPS's runtime drop nearly 15% after turning it off. Clap

Edited by Psimon - 01 Nov 2009 at 4:18pm
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 2:31pm
my first ps3 died a week after teh one year warranty was up, but sony said they would cover me anyways and send me a new one.

now this one is a year and a half and so far so good.

I have to mention tho my ps3 is working 24/7, cause if I'm not gaming on it, then its folding, and ya it gets hot.
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 11:56am
I've had my PS3 since Oct. 2007 & enjoy it for gaming, playing music, & surfing the web when my wife is busy on our only PC.  The hard drive is only 80 GB & I'm planning on upgrading to a 320 GB hard drive in the near future.  I belong to a PS3 gaming clan with 595 members & we get together online & play Call of Duty 4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, etc. 

Right now, the Uncharted 2 multiplayer demo is available to everyone for free on the PS store.  The graphics are absolutely gorgeous!  This demo has 4 maps, 2 co-op modes, and 4 competitive modes.  Last night I played for about 2 hours and experienced no lag and no disconnects.  I urge every PS3 owner to play this demo before the full game releases on Oct. 13.
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 10:17pm
Try owning an old 1080i only HDTV.  Unless the game is written for 1080i (many PS3 games are 720p), the resolution is downscaled to a last-gen 480p.  This is one of the big reasons I buy most of my games for the 360 - it is able to scale just fine.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 3:03am
Ya the PS3 wasn't as good as anticipated. They could have made a much better video card and it would've sold alot better.
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:23pm
I have to disagree, I love the PS3's Blu-ray capability.  Works great for me. 
On the other hand, I seem to only use my PS3 for the Blu Ray.  I play all my games on the 360.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 12:48pm
Most people prefer it only because they play on HD Bravias which just look like there are better graphics...
Infinity View Drop Down

Quote Infinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 3:04am
/Sigh...

Many people in here are PC fanatics and don't understand the PS3.

First: The "Cell" processor is the most powerful processor to ever be created.

Second: The "video card" which is actually a graphics chip is also the best one to ever be created, and took a chunk of millions of dollars out of Sony's pockets to make it.

Third: The best looking game, most highly award winning game, and best story mode game to ever hit a NextGEN console was Uncharted 2, and it runs in 720P.

What people don't understand is, when it has lower pixels, the objects could be made bigger so it doesn't look like it has a thousand pixels in it, which is why most of the good-looking games are on PS3 and use 720P.

But as I said before, PC people just don't understand the concept of it. :l
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 3:19am
What in the world are you going on about? You do realize 720p means a resolution of 1280x720, right?

Modern PCs are vastly more powerful than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Infinity View Drop Down

Quote Infinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

What in the world are you going on about? You do realize 720p means a resolution of 1280x720, right?Modern PCs are vastly more powerful than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

Yes I do, and as I said before you don't understand.

And I all-out lol'd at your second comment, the worlds fastest super computer is POWERED BY PS3'S LOLOL.

Face it, PS3 is stronger. PC just has more customization, but it won't out-run a PS3.

Show me a PC that can run Uncharted 2, oh yeah I forgot, only the PS3 could handle it. x))

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:29am
Originally posted by Infinity

And I all-out lol'd at your second comment, the worlds fastest super computer is POWERED BY PS3'S LOLOL.

Face it, PS3 is stronger. PC just has more customization, but it won't out-run a PS3.

Show me a PC that can run Uncharted 2, oh yeah I forgot, only the PS3 could handle it. x))

Wow. So exactly what alternate reality are you from? You do realize the PS3 is close to 4 years old now, right?

Here's a list of the current top 10 most powerful supercomputers. No PS3 clusters to be found.

Uncharted 2 was never released on the PC, or anything other than the PS3 for that matter. The developers got huge funding to keep it an exclusive title so don't expect to see a port. I could turn around and ask something similar, lets see a PS3 that could run Crysis, but that never had a console port so we'd be going in circles.

So here's a better idea. The burden of proof is upon you my friend, why don't you humor us and tell us what the specifications of the PS3 hardware are?
Lilim
Infinity View Drop Down

Quote Infinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Wow. So exactly what alternate reality are you from? You do realize the PS3 is close to 4 years old now, right?Here's a list of the current top 10 most powerful supercomputers. No PS3 clusters to be found.Uncharted 2 was never released on the PC, or anything other than the PS3 for that matter. The developers got huge funding to keep it an exclusive title so don't expect to see a port. I could turn around and ask something similar, lets see a PS3 that could run Crysis, but that never had a console port so we'd be going in circles.So here's a better idea. The burden of proof is upon you my friend, why don't you humor us and tell us what the specifications of the PS3 hardware are?

I expected a Crysis thing coming up, and it's funny cause you do realize they are making a 2nd version for all ports right?

And it was only dumbed-down because of the XBox hardware, the PS3 handled the game better then anything, just face the fact that PS3 is the strongest computer that can be bought by a computer.

I also hope you know the PS3 has a 10 year life span since release, it is now at 6 years until they start working on a new one. :)

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth:

Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
VRAM: 22.4GB/s
RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

HDD
Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1
I/O:

USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD: standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1
Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
CD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Are you liking that 25.6GB's of RAM? I know I am. :)

How about the most powerful processor to be created? I know I am.

You are getting yourself into a battle you cannot win. :)

/Highfive and stop while you can.

In other words, I won, nothing here you can say besides rage and try to prove how Crysis was not ported to PS3.

Besides the point, their new engine has new stuff to add to the game that are ground breaking and WILL be on the PS3.

/Argumentover
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 5:26am

Are you liking that 25.6GB's of RAM? I know I am. :)

Yeah man, that's amazing! Oh wait, reality check time.

The PS3 has 256MB of RAM. MBs, as in, it has 1/4th of 1GB of RAM. Wow. Smile

And it has 256MB of GDDR3 video RAM for its integrated RSX GPU, which is a Nvidia GeForce 7800. LOL
Lilim
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:03am
ok where did you get your data for 25.6 gigs of RAM. i've looked all over and everything is saying 256MB of RAM. so please cite the source because you are beginning to look like an idiot.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:05pm
like i have said a 100 times, my mouse has more graphical power than a PS3..
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 9:09pm
...oops....Oops
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Colly_dog View Drop Down

Quote Colly_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:25pm
Modern computers are much more powerful. The PS3 can punch above its wait when it comes to running games is because it does not have the kind of memory overhead that comes with running a full OS like windows. If the PS3 was so powerful why does it cost £400 pounds sterling at the most. where you can spend over $12,000 or a very rough £8,000 on one the computers on this site. They are amazing but don't be delusional.
Who wants to give me 12,000$?
Colly_dog View Drop Down

Quote Colly_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:32pm

Third: The best looking game, most highly award winning game, and best story mode game to ever hit a NextGEN console was Uncharted 2, and it runs in 720P.

What people don't understand is, when it has lower pixels, the objects could be made bigger so it doesn't look like it has a thousand pixels in it, which is why most of the good-looking games are on PS3 and use 720P.

But as I said before, PC people just don't understand the concept of it. :l

Back to basics for the deluded:

1) The number depicting resolution. yes 720P is an example. That means the NUMBER of pixels. you are talking about the SIZE of the pixels, which will vary depending on the TV you have. The more pixels the more detail you can fit one one screen.

sorry to the majority of people who have used a computer before and know all of this already.
Who wants to give me 12,000$?
Stealth Pandas View Drop Down

Quote Stealth Pandas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 12:49am
You should sell all your consoles and console games and use that money towards a rig. Just use the tv as a monitor and you're all set
cyrildon View Drop Down

Quote cyrildon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 1:59am
Thanks for the nice full lists,its giving more information about 3D games.....

If you need any details about:Online 3D Adventure games
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 4:03pm
I am a PS3 owner as well, and they cannot beat a computer optimized for gaming. That being said, a "gaming" computer also costs more. It's kind of silly to suggest the PS3 is better than current technology computers. Sure, it probably beats an emachines circa 1999... Anyway, the PS3 is a quality console and I have owned mine (PS3 slim) for over a year with no issues at all. I enjoy it very much but it does not have allot of the titles in the genre I enjoy to play, so I go PC for those (MMOs).
samual View Drop Down

Quote samual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 4:31pm
Sony ps3 have the best graphic comparing to x-box and wii.guys the games themselves need to be in 1080P, Sony has no control over that, if you get a movie that is 720P, ps3 can't upscale it and show it to you at 1080P you need a receiver that up converts.
asd
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by samual

Sony ps3 have the best graphic comparing to x-box and wii.guys the games themselves need to be in 1080P, Sony has no control over that, if you get a movie that is 720P, ps3 can't upscale it and show it to you at 1080P you need a receiver that up converts.

100% not true. There have been many games that have come out for both 360 and PS3 where the 360 version had better graphics/visuals. An example of this is the Assassins Creed games, there was a lot of talk about how the they compared to each other and the 360 came out slightly better. Here is a link to an article about the second one, with the 360 coming out on top the same as the first game by a small margin.

A lot of that has to do with the developers and the people they have working on the game. Some games are made by the same team/people for all platforms and some are not. The 360 and PS3 are fairly equal in terms of their hardware that actually produces the game image (CPU and GPU), the PS3 being BluRay has little to nothing to do with that as games do not operate like a movie where the image is constantly being read from the disc.

I get some of this knowledge from my brother and uncle, both of who happen to be game designers. My brother is currently working on Halo 4 and just finshed Arkham City before that and for Arkham City they did the work for all 3 platforms at once, PC taking a little longer because they could do more with it. Being a contractor he gets to work on different projects for different companies. I've spoken to him at length about the differences between platforms and for multi-platform games the difference for 360 and PS3 is usually very small with PS3 coming out on top less often then the 360. PC trumps all as usual though.

Lous55 View Drop Down

Quote Lous55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 7:54pm
I hate when people compare a console to a pc. If im not mistakened, all consoles doesn't even use a traditional gpu. O.o so much for being better. When consoles start using a traditinal gpu, we'll be on the next generation of graphical power, sorry.

Edited by Lous55 - 26 Nov 2011 at 7:56pm

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 8:45pm
They do have GPUs, I believe Xbox uses a Nvidia one, but they are all specially made for just the consoles. There's just no desktop or mobile equivalent.

You can go on almost any forums and see threads debating things like console vs PC or console vs console. Most are just filled with opinion being passed off as fact but that's just the nature of the internet. I prefer PC gaming for the majority of the things I play but it's my own personal experience that things like COD are better on console, specifically then 360, because the player base is larger.

You'll probably see the new CS update do better on PC then console but that's it's a PC game that's getting ported to console but things like COD are a console game first and a PC game second. Yes PC looks better but you have a larger multiplayer community for COD on 360. And that's mainly due to the fact that the average person can afford a 360 but they can't afford a PC that can actually play it well.

That said I probably won't even get MW3 even though my new system will be able to play it.

Lous55 View Drop Down

Quote Lous55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 9:01pm
They said (well rumors, we all know where that can lead to). That a ps4 will use an actual traditional GPU to compete with computers. They use ATI/Nvidia, but not as traditional in a sense. (They will use an actual series rumors take it) That being said, we will probably be way ahead of generation before than. I'm personally sick and tired of ported content to PC, even though i love Skyrim.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 10:02pm
The ports for Valve games are horrible, due largely in part because they were not done by Valve. Ports like that also get very little support some times because of the stupid fees the console manufactures charge. For any content you release you have to pay Microsoft a huge fee for them to perform their own quality assurance test on it. You'd think the cut of the game money would be enough but not for Microsoft.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>