Purchase a Pascal Titan X, become an Outcast, lol

Post Date: 2016-08-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Purchase a Pascal Titan X, become an Outcast, lol
    Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 6:22am
NOTE: This is a long post, lol.

Aside from these Digital Storm forums, I also frequent a few other message boards (however, out of respect, I will not mention them here.)

I often ask the same question on a few different message boards if I am inquiring about things and if I am looking for an overall unbiased opinion about a certain topic. In this case, my inquiry was about Titan X (Pascal), but not just one, but TWO Titan X Pascal powered cards.

Not that I care or put much energy into this, but for the first time since I got into custom built PCs (1999 being my first year/time), I was labeled a nVidia "fanboy" (huh??? lol), and why?? Because I posted about me just purchasing a Pascal Titan X and was looking forward to sharing pics and game performances. I have never placed one product over another, however, I have stated my opinions about several hardware components and nVidia hasn't always pleased me with great products.

Honestly, I know that the price I paid for dual Titan X Pascal powered cards isn't really worth it (right now) if you consider current game performances. (ARMA 3 is the one I am really looking forward to. That and iRacing - in my opinion, the best PC racing simulation of all time). However, my justification of buying a Titan card, let alone two of them, is based on the hope and growth of this beast of a GPU over a period of time; so basically, I am buying in to that. And, IMO, this new GPU will evolve into one of the best of all time (and I am well aware of the eventual release of a new AMD card and a new nVidia card within the next two or so years).

I don't feel the need to justify myself, but I ordered my new Hailstorm 2 with two Titan X cards for a few reasons; 1) Because I can. 2) Because I wanted to and 3) because I believe in nvidia (as a business) and their ability to produce great video cards and their support for their GPUs via drivers, etc. Therefore, I support the company by purchasing their products. Esp if you are considering buying stock in said company, lol.

Like I said, I didn't post this to justify my decision, but I did want to voice my opinions for those considering Titan X. To most people, I'd say wait for a bit until more is known about the card in terms of performance, but if you are able to buy one and you really want the latest thing, go for it and I would encourage you all considering it not to be put off by others. I was like that years ago and ultimately made a few big mistakes when I bought other products, including GPUs, and not going for what I really wanted.

Currently, the Pascal powered Titan X isn't really worth it **IF** you take in to account the amount of performance gain vs price, BUT it **IS** worth it if you want the best, DESPITE the performance vs price ratio. And you can probably bet on the fact that nVidia will continue to support this GPU and are very much going to squeeze every drop of power out of it. :)

Evolution takes a bit of time, but by this time next year, it is in my opinion that Pascal Titan X will be performing many times the performance currently. ;) :)

** Besides, because Digital Storm was one of the FEW custom built PC companies, it shows that nVidia is keeping track of where the Titan X is in the minds of the high-end gamer and/or other purposes this card will be used for. I see the logic that nVidia is using by only selling the card thru the company itself or a select few PC custom builders. IMO, it shows that nVidia is very dedicated to Pascal Titan X and their faith in the technology built within it. And for Digital Storm, it shows nVidia also believes in this company (Digital Storm), which is very good for all of us who love gaming, etc**

{{{Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY affiliated or work for either companies - nVidia and Digital Storm.}}}

Take care and the best to you all. :)
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 8:49am
I think the reasons some believe the Titan X is not really a good buy are price.

Plus the fact that it is still not the full GP102 chip so Nvidia could release a faster GPU still using the same chip.

Also Nvidia has a new chip supposedly being released in 2017 that is rumored to use HBM2.

So it is likely that the Titan X will be replaced much sooner than even 1 year.
Richieboy67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 8:57am
There will always be something better around the corner. Knowing my luck I would spend almost $3,000 for 2 of these and then 2 months later they would drop down in price by hundreds.. lol

Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Ariktu

I think the reasons some believe the Titan X is not really a good buy are price.Plus the fact that it is still not the full GP102 chip so Nvidia could release a faster GPU still using the same chip.Also Nvidia has a new chip supposedly being released in 2017 that is rumored to use HBM2.So it is likely that the Titan X will be replaced much sooner than even 1 year.

This post is a PRIME example of what I'm talking about, lol...
Read between the lines and you'll see what I'm talking about.... ;)

Then I'll buy the one next year too, ok?? Then what??
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Vulcan4

Originally posted by Ariktu

I think the reasons some believe the Titan X is not really a good buy are price.Plus the fact that it is still not the full GP102 chip so Nvidia could release a faster GPU still using the same chip.Also Nvidia has a new chip supposedly being released in 2017 that is rumored to use HBM2.So it is likely that the Titan X will be replaced much sooner than even 1 year.

This post is a PRIME example of what I'm talking about, lol...
Read between the lines and you'll see what I'm talking about.... ;)

Then I'll buy the one next year too, ok?? Then what??

Not sure what you are trying to imply.

I was simply trying to explain why some feel the value of the Titan X is not great.

I frankly think people should buy what they want.

I hope you enjoy your cards and play the heck out of your new system.

Not every time people tell you something are they making you an outcast or thinking negatively of you.

Maybe a person is just trying to give you some information and then you ultimately decide how best to spend your money.

Sorry if you felt I was attacking you in some way.
 Post Reply Post Reply