FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Purchasing New Gaming Laptop Need Advice.

Post Date: 2014-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ripper5698 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ripper5698 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Purchasing New Gaming Laptop Need Advice.
    Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 8:12am
Hi All, I have been out of pc gaming for over 5 years, my son has been hooked on gaming since he was a baby. I need some advice we want to get him a new gaming laptop for xmas as well as myself. but not sure what he needs in terms of cpu, gpu power to play the games he likes. here is a list og the games he play's:
steam - half life
steam - counterstrike
unreal tournament GOTY & # 3
he wants to play mindcraft
crysis games
combat arms - FPS
he really like'S -FPS Games
lego games
Star Wars Games

i am trying not to spend anymore than $1400.00 for his system. i would also like for it to be able to last for 3 years to be able to play future games he would want to play.

*************Now 4 My System*******************

i picked the lance config#1065136

!SPECIAL PRICE: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) (LIMITED TIME ONLY)
Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory
250GB Solid State - Samsung 840 EVO  -
Storage Drive 1
Killer Wireless-N 1202 Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Module
DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 6GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Total Price: $1756.00
my question is does 16gb system memory make a big difference from 8gb, i would like to create a ramdisk to help with more performance, i want to sqweeze out every ounce of performance for my gaming.
my game list
star wars force unleased
wolfenstein & new world order
half life
10 different steam games
duke nukem
combat arms - FPS
sniper elite v2

Sniper Ghost Warrior 2

any FPS Games

Quote ripper5698 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 8:48am
sorry i forgot to include question on cpu for my son's gaming laptop, would i5 processor be good enough for his gaming or should i just get it with the i7 processor.w/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus. & 1TB hard drive standard lance configuration for him.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 9:31am
Hi ripper... Welcome to the forums.   I don't do much with laptop configs, others should be by that have more experience, but...

If it was me, I'd go with the latest 970M gpu.  It's about 40% better frames and 40% better battery life over the 870M from what I've read.     Nothing wrong with the 870M, it'll give you real nice gaming, but if you're not buying right now, the 970M will be available in the larger 17" Krypton and maybe the Lance. 

Hope this helps a bit. Big%20Smile

Edit... I don't think there is a i5 option, unlike the desktops.  

16Gb has become pretty standard, but 8GB will work for sure, in most cases. 

Benches I've seen show the 870M about 30% better fps over the 860M.  The 860M still plays anything out there, but the in game settings would be a bit lower to keep fps up there with the 870M. 

They all work , just depends what settings make ya happy, and the budget of course.  Hahaha

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Oct 2014 at 9:42am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 2:04pm
Ripper,

I don't see that a Core i5 is an option on the Lance.  Even the minimum config appears to be over the $1400 you want to spend.  Also the 1TB drive you mention is only 5400RPM, so that will affect performance on the laptop.  Hard drives are the biggest bottleneck, and these days, at least one SSD is nearly a requirement.  A 5400 RPM drive is going backwards.  As a data drive it would be fine, but not as a primary.

You also say you want the laptop to last a good 3 years, so it's even more imperative that you buy something with slightly better specs as you and he may not be happy over the next three years.

As for bprat's advice, it would be good to wait a little bit.  DS has said the new 9x0 cards are coming next month, and when those hit, you'll likely see some component and price shuffling that may be more to your liking.

As for your configuration, my last gaming laptop had 8GB of RAM and it wasn't enough.  16GB would be good if you can afford it.  And again, I'd definitely wait till the parts refresh next month before buying.

Also, a single 250GB SSD is great for your primary drive, but if you're going to have lots of games installed, it's not large enough, so you'll want the second drive at least, or go for a much larger SSD, at least 512GB, especially if you do anything with video or photos.

Hope this helps, and if you wait, the reshuffle of parts next month may bring even better options for you that are still in your price ranges.

Quote ripper5698 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:13am
Hi All, thanks for all of the advice everyone has given me, I really appreciate it. Roykirk thanks for the heads up for the info on that DS has new 9x0 cards coming next month. I can wait a little longer. It was really helpful about the 8gb mem vs. 16gb I will pay the extra to have at least 16gb memory for both our systems, as for having only and 240GB SSD, I was going to put a 1TB 7200rpm hard drive in my system for other files not related to gaming, I have a H.D. just lying around not being used. so that was why I didn't have a H.D. in the config.

ripper5698
 Post Reply Post Reply