Expectations:
[Good solid craftsmanship and reliability]

Usage:
[Gaming and Graphic Design]

Special Needs:
[Individually sleeved modular cables]

Saved Ticket #: [None]

Specifications:
Hey all, I've been building PC's with my father for awhile after bad experiences in the past with pre-made systems ranging from --- to --------. I love the learning experience, the full control, and lower cost. However, due to being born with muscular dystrophy and my father developing arthritis in his hands from 32 years in construction, there comes a time where you feel that you just need a break and let someone else carry the burden and do things right for you when you are unable to do so yourself. I have no friends where I live, and the only relative that knew computers unexpectedly passed two years ago. I just have no desire to play guessing games and take risks at this point and with my health as of late.

We've built 3 systems together, but I must admit I am far from a pro, and this time I want to get into water cooling and such. So basically for me the proverbial writing is on the wall that, yes I will pay more than building myself, but it'll be done by professionals and they will not only do it right, but make sure it is stable. So here I am! :) I heard and seen DS's ad's around a lot and decided to try configuring a possible build:

[Configuration Code: 1272945]

(NOTE: the reason I only requested 1 drive is because I bought another ssd from newegg during the summer on a super sale and have my 1TB WD drive that has my graphics work, etc backed up and will be installing them later)

One question I hope someone can answer is if DS makes use of individually sleeved modular cables? If so is it by default, or do you need to make a special request and if you do, how much more does it cost? I tried their sale department Sunday night, but still never heard back, so I figured I'd try asking the community.

Also if any community members has some suggestions/tips in regards to my configuration, please feel free to chime in. I'd like to stay within that $2500-$3000 notch preferably, though.

Thanks all, in advance!

-John

Competitor's names removed.

Edited by Snaike - 01 Sep 2015 at 9:34am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 9:26am
Hi Jobo... Welcome to the forums. 

DS does install sleeved cables and its something you'd need to talk to them about for options and pricing.   They're closed weekends, so I'd give them another call.

Nice build.   You didn't mention the monitor's resolution you'll be gaming on or the games, but the gtx 970 is a nice card for 1080p.  Your setup does give you the option to sli if ever needed.      

I'm guessing you'll be doing your own oc'ing?  

Looks good. Big%20Smile

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:01pm
I think the case you have picked is overkill for a system using only a single 970 GPU. You are paying a premium for the Hailstorm II case and not using all of its potential. The Hailstorm is usually chosen for a full water cooled system with multiple GPUs. You have chosen LC cooling on your CPU but you don't need the Hailstorm case for that. The Hailstorm is a monster, full sized tower.

Do you have plans of liquid cooling the GPU in the future or maybe adding a second GPU. If you are going to always air cool the GPU then I would remove one or two of the HDD caddies so you get good air to our GPU.

Do you want full LC on the CPU or would you be OK with a closed loop LC cooler? That would give you good cooling and save a bunch of money.

I am unsure of what you want to accomplish but DS can build you a great system for less money with the same or better performance. If you just love the Hailstorm II case then your build will do the job.

Frank
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:20pm
I agree with Frank that the Hailstorm case is overkill here. Here is a configuration with the Coridium case, 980 Ti GPU in place of the 970 for much better graphics performance, and an NVMe SSD that is much faster than SATA SSDs. The cooling is an All-in-One unit on the processor, so no maintenance and much less cost. There is more than enough power to add in a second GPU if you would like to in the future.

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1274190
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (BACKORDERED ETA Mid-September)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD mini-SAS (400GB Intel 750 Series) (2.5 inch - NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Jobo View Drop Down

Quote Jobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:23pm
Heya Frank, yeah I prefer full towers regardless. I like the overall room, especially if it comes to swapping parts or upgrading in the future with a system than trying to get my hands in a mid-tower. After my -------- mid tower went and I experienced my first full tower, I just stayed with it. Bigger size to work inside and plenty of room for future changes/upgrades/etc. Just made sense for me. :)

As far as gpu's, I'm running one, but like having the option of adding a second if I need it or if $$$ allows. Also I've been thinking of upgrading the liquid cooling to both cpu and gpu. I've always air cooled my systems, and still have my huge and heavy Noctua, which I nicknamed Vlad, since it always seems to nick my fingers handling lol. Time to get the ol' feet wet with some liquid cooling--which I've been wanting to try myself but for years been too nervous due to my own clumsy self. At least having someone like DS do it, it'll be done right.

Edited by Snaike - 01 Sep 2015 at 2:25pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:37pm
If you want a readily modifiable water-cooled computer case, I suggest waiting for the Aventum 3. You may have to skimp on some components at first to get into your price range, but it will be pre-plumbed for water cooling and have built-in quick-disconnects for easy expansion and changes.
Jobo View Drop Down

Quote Jobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:00pm
Sounds good. Is there a known date roughly when the Aventum 3 is suppose to be coming out?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:03pm
Jobo View Drop Down

Quote Jobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Jobo... Welcome to the forums.  DS does install sleeved cables and its something you'd need to talk to them about for options and pricing.   They're closed weekends, so I'd give them another call.

I just heard back from someone from DS. They told me that:

"We use a standard black sleeve to cover the color coded cables. It really depends on which system you want. We do a color coding option for our higher end models on the tubing side. You can see photos on our website."

So I'm confused. Are these individually sleeved like you see in all the fancy photos, or are they the usual standard cables, but the liquid cooling you get to pick your color tubing (which isn't what I was asking their sales support at all, heh). I know ------ has right in their configurator about individually sleeved modular cables. Now DS shows such sleeving, and someone here says they do, but sales says its just standard sleeved cables and you get color choices on liquid systems?

Edited by Snaike - 02 Sep 2015 at 12:41am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:34pm
Their Instagram pictures show some of their machines with individually sleeved cables. But you're right, they are not clear about which machines get individually sleeved cables. I'm guessing it is partially dependent on the PSU selected, but it could be more than that and complicated to determine if a machine will have individually sleeved cables or not.

My Bolt II only has the single large mesh sleeve for entire cable runs. I have seen pictures of other Bolt II machines from both DS and customers where they have individually sleeved cables, but that may be due to them using the 700W 80Plus Bronze PSUs versus the 500W 80Plus Gold PSU I got. I know jonnyGURU, the preeminent PSU reviewer prefers the single mesh sleeves as they are easier to work with than ribbon cables or individually sleeved cables. However, I know that many people prefer the look of the individually sleeved cables.

Maybe Alex or Nav can shine some light on this?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:10am
Usually systems with our HydroLux cooling system get the color wire sleeving, and what we typically use are the extensions.

If a customer would like to have color sleeving, I suggest including that in the build special notes for the team.

We'll be adding a drop down option for color wire sleeves in the near future.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Alex

Usually systems with our HydroLux cooling system get the color wire sleeving, and what we typically use are the extensions.

If a customer would like to have color sleeving, I suggest including that in the build special notes for the team.

We'll be adding a drop down option for color wire sleeves in the near future.
whose your supplier?  Lutro0??
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 5:46pm
I don't know to be honest. I believe we work directly with the manufacturers in Asia for the wiring/cables.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:32pm
Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1286639
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Jobo View Drop Down

Quote Jobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:48pm
Yeah I've been drooling over the AVENTUM 3 all day. Unfortunately $4000 is just too much over my budget. Not to mention as much as I absolutely am in love with all the integrated stuff, left sided builds are a big deal breaker for me as then it would be pointed towards the wall and thus rather pointless. So looks like if anything I'll still be heading towards a HAILSTORM II, unless the design gods at DS will someday do something similar in design and do a HAILSTORM III? *hint hint, nudge nudge, begging and pleading* haha.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 6:11pm
Like I mentioned above, we can work on getting the price down on it to do what you need, at a minimum, and be ready for you to upgrade it in the future. Something as stellar as this might be worth rethinking how your room is arranged They do have a window on the back side for the fans, cable management and water cooling distribution manifold

So, if you're only gaming at 1080p for now, a GTX 950 will do. As will stepping down to a i5-6600K processor and moving the memory speed down to 2666MHz. The PSU was bumped down to an 850W unit, which is still good for SLI. Windows was changed from Pro to Home (you can upgrade later, if you need the functionality). That sliced the price down to just below $3500 (you'll probably want to add a little something to this as you get an extra $25 off with the special at $3500).

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1286731
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Jobo View Drop Down

Quote Jobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by 

Something as stellar as this might be worth rethinking how your room is arranged

Haha yeah I hear ya. Unfortunately due to health reasons, I'm living with family atm so I unfortunately cannot come into their house and tell them to restructure their living room to accommodate this lovely system, regardless of how uber sexy it is haha.

The price you got it down to was spot on, it's just the whole left sided thing. Basically where I am setup, I have the wall in front of me and my right and the couch to the left and all this crap. Basically put, it's just not feasible given circumstances. Perhaps when I'm in my own place, but right now the hailstorm is the way it's looking. I've built systems before so, while it's not as balls to the wall insanely nice with all the integrated stuff as the A3, I think it still can hold its own and doable. Sometimes no matter how badly you want something, you have to know when to make the more logical and responsible choice as an adult. (but I don't waaaaanaaaaaaaa!!!! lol)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 10:52am
You could always have DS mount the reservoir upside down and have the rad installed on the bottom AND place the Aventum 3 upside down on the table.  Window will be where you need it to gaze at its wonder.   Big%20Smile

I kid.  HahahaHahahaBig%20Smile
Jobo View Drop Down

Quote Jobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 12:23pm
lol if only. Though perhaps I can nail my desk to the ceiling. Gaming......Bat-style.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 11:27pm
Don't forget mirrors Big%20Smile

But for my thoughts...the back of the Aventum 3 is more appealing than the front of the 900D, so you could just have it backwards.  That's not saying the 900D is bad, just that the Aventum 3 looks really sweet.  I also happen to be the eternal optimist and think things will change for the better at some point, and those things you've plan for can actually happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply