FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about custom cooling

Post Date: 2015-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
YourMomsaDad View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YourMomsaDad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about custom cooling
    Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 1:52pm
I'm thinking of buying a gaming desktop from Digitalstorm but I'm nervous about the custom watercooling aspect, I've always had basic watercooling and it was very easy/very little maintenance, so if I order one of the desktops (haven't decided which specific one yet) that comes with the custom cooling, will it require maintenance regularly, or do they have they're own style that doesn't require any constant attention? Thanks in advance
jmikerz View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote jmikerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:18pm
custom cooling nowadays are of such high quality that it dsnt require that much attention or any attention if any. My last system lasted 5yrs with a custom liquid cooled system. Not even changed the liquid in those 5 years. although a liquid change is recommended every 3 yrs. or so.

although pump breakdowns and leaks are a concern. It rarely happens.
Bolt III
i7-6700k
16g Corsair Dominator 2800mhz
Titan X
2tb Samsung Evo SSD
Custom Hydrolux Cooling system

Quote YourMomsaDad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:23pm
So even if the coolant fluid is custom (hydrolux) it doesn't require changes very often? Thanks for the answer, I just want to be sure before I commit to buying
jmikerz View Drop Down

Quote jmikerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:38pm
no problem. Have fun picking a digital storm system. The hardest part is waiting for it to arrive
Bolt III
i7-6700k
16g Corsair Dominator 2800mhz
Titan X
2tb Samsung Evo SSD
Custom Hydrolux Cooling system
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by YourMomsaDad

So even if the coolant fluid is custom (hydrolux) it doesn't require changes very often? Thanks for the answer, I just want to be sure before I commit to buying
even with the new fluids the recommended time to change fluid is 2 years.  as always, ymmv.  keep an eye out for fluid discoloration,staining, and "filminess" to the tubes. 

all flexible tubing uses platicizer in its manufacturing process and will eventually lead to "leaching" (a white film will develop inside the tubing and eventually flake off into the loop clogging up blocks, rads, etc.) in temps above 38C.  DEHP plasticizers are the most notorious.  DS uses non-DEHP flex tubing in their custom loops (i can't vouch for AIO CLC).  obviously, acrylic and copper/nickel tubing doesn't have this problem. 

so what does all that mean?  flex tubing as used in DS systems has the benefit of quick disconnects which afford the user an easier time of switching out components and draining their water loops.  however, after a certain amount of time (2,3,5+ years) you will probably want/need to change the tubing, fluid, and take the entire loop down for thorough cleaning. 

acrylic and copper/nickel "hardline" configs don't require tubing changes, but you still need to change the fluid and flush the system from time to time (i suggest a yearly basis, no more than 2 at the most).  if you need to change a component (i.e. a graphics card in the loop) you will have to drain the loop first and dismantle (at least in part) part of the components of the loop covering that part.  acrylic is also very fragile, and i personally would hesitate shipping such a configured rig.  it doesn't take too much flexing for a fracture to occur. 

it sounds like a lot of maintenance, but it's not really.  it's only a lot if by "a lot" means to you anything more than zero maintenance.  even if you buy a closed loop, all-in-one cooler, those things aren't meant to last.  you will be tossing it in the can at some point (average 3-4 years). 

if you want true zero maintenance buy a good air cooler like the Noctua D15.            
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:15pm
The Hydrolux might require periodic filling. Mine does. And there is quite a lot of opinion as to when to change the coolant and with what. Mine is still clean and clear, ( I ordered the clear fluid) so no draining, flushing and refilling yet. (purchased last Nov.) DS used EK-Ekoolant Clear on mine. The closed loop coolers do not require any maintenance unless the pump stops or it leaks.

Quote YourMomsaDad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:15pm
Thanks for all of the info guys, can't wait to order it in the next few months! And another quick question before I decide would be about customizing my build before I order it, Digital storm tests the PCs for any incompatibilities, defects, or errors by booting and running them before shipping them out correct? By switching out a few of the parts on the configuration menu to non-default parts wouldn't cause any issues (like switching the Apollo case to an Air540 or changing the GPU) that show up when it arrives?

Edited by YourMomsaDad - 14 Oct 2015 at 4:16pm
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:21pm
Mine is still running fine, and love it too.

See rig in Sig.
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 3:27pm
they test the critical parts on a test bench (i presume) in an early phase before putting them into the rig (don't want to have to duplicate work), and then later stress test and benchmark the entire machine in a different phase down the line. 

from my own experience, if you give them (best to email Alex direct) the specs of any "special order" (not in their configurator) parts you want to get they'll confirm on compatibility and offer you advice on alternatives. 

Edited by db188 - 15 Oct 2015 at 3:30pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply