Question about Vcore

Post Date: 2008-12-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about Vcore
    Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 8:40pm
Now that the sytem runs nice and cool I thought I would play around with some bios settings. Vcore in particular. I want to bring it up to a modest 1.44 volts. I can set it in the bios but when vista opens it is back down to 1.40 volts. The Mother board is a 790i ultra and the cpu is a Q9650. I am using the nvidia control panel device settings.

I checked the settings in the nvidia cotrol panel device settings but I do not have the option of setting vcore or anything else in the bios it is grayed out ( I thought it was there when I got the system ). Is there a version  (I have 2.2.300) that does allow me to set bios in the nvidia control panel?

To continue,
When I shut vista down and go back into the bios the vcore is back down to 1.40 volts.
 I think it has to do with the perf monitor but is there a way to change vcore in there ?

I am liquid cooled.Big%20smile
Fusion - clean energy

MikeMaravani View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MikeMaravani Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 12:14pm
I have heard about that problem with Vista. Its a safty lock in the programing. I think there was a download out there on the web to over ride that.

Source - Vista Magazine
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 2:26am
Try 1.5v, there is vdroop on the Ultra boards, so if you set say 1.44, it may drop to 1.40 or lower, and under load it will drop even further.
Daygn View Drop Down

Quote Daygn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 8:16am
What temps ar your GTX's at with that OC setting at load?
BB
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 1:42pm
Venom: thats exactly what I did. I brought it up to 1.45 and the vdroop is not so bad. It drops down to 1.40 under full load using OCCT.

Daygn: The 2 GTX 280's are OC'd at 720,1550,,1260. Under full load using futermark Vantage I get to 53c at max. DS sent me the second card ( lower one )  because I was hitting 90-95 C. That card had some issues.

With the replacement card I did the cold block mounting myself and decided to try the Diamond HS compound. That has the lower board running 1c less that the top board.

Since my wish is to have a machine that runs very cool, I tried the Liquid Pro HS compound on the CPU. It is very good stuff but it's not for everyone. In my opinion it needs bare copper surfaces in order to wet the surfaces properly. So what that translates to is a copper cooling block and a lapped CPU ( I had an extra Q9650 ). My results were very impressive. Full load OC'd at 4.2 Ghz prior to Liquid Pro I hit temps around 67-70 C. Full load using OCCT. With the LP I dropped that temp down by 10 C to around 57C.

The diamond HS compound was at best bringing the temps down 2-5c.But it took a few days to settle in ( VERY thick ).

Just a note, I DID NOT use LP on the video cards, just the CPU. Oh yes LP is conductive.
Fusion - clean energy

Post Reply Post Reply