FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions About DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX

Post Date: 2015-04-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Corvo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Corvo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions About DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
    Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:02pm
So I just have a (seemingly) quick question regarding the DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM.

I just purchased my system and got 16GB (4 X 4GB) DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM for it, and if anyone has read my other post, knows my concern regarding how that memory may or may not be sufficient enough to handle my Titan X graphics card that I'm getting as well.

So where am I going with this? I'll get right to it:

With the memory I've chosen, being 4 sticks of 4GB, totaling 16GB, am I able to buy, on my own, ANOTHER 4x4GB pack of the same memory and plug it into my motherboard and have it work fine (equallying 8 sticks of 4GB each)?

When you look up the specifications when customizing a PC on Digital Storm they list that, in their builds with 32GB of DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX, they use 8 sticks of 4GB cards. However I can't find anywhere else online where this is possible or not possible.

The motherboard I'm using is the ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset), which lists on it that it does indeed HAVE 8 slots for DDR4 RAM, but it is possible to set it up in the manner I have described?

Please excuse my ignorance regarding what is and isn't possible with RAM. The one thing I know about RAM is that you have to use the same size cards throughout (be it 2gb, 4gb, etc, as long as they're the same "size" and same type, being DDR3, DDR4 etc.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who could educate me a little better on this, and if my thinking is possible :)
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:23pm
Hi Corvo,

The Asus X99 Deluxe does have 8 memory slots.  You should be able to add the 4 new 4Gb cards like you said.  I guess there could be some limitations but I doubt it.  I would just call or Email DS and ask them to be sure.

Frank
Corvo View Drop Down

Quote Corvo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:13pm
Well first off thank you for the response.

And hm, what might those limitations be? Again excuse my ignorance.

Can anyone else help clarify what Frank said on whether or not my thoughts on adding 4 more 4GB cards on my own to the system I'm buying from Digital Storm is a possibility or not?

I keep reading things like "quad channel" and stuff and I don't know if that means you can only use 4 sticks of memory to reach your maximum RAM allowed by the motherboard (even though the motherboard I'm having put in my build has 8 DDR4 slots.

Which you'd think would be a common sense answer for me right there, however reading all these additional things and not finding my answer anywhere online..I start having doubts to (possibly) common sense answers >.<
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:29pm
Hi Corvo,

Ok, this motherboard will handle 64 Gb of memory.  Here is a quote from a review. 

"G.SKILL Ripjaws 4; up to DDR4 3200 MHz - Also available in 2400MHz, 2666MHz, 2800MHz, 3000MHz, and 3200MHz. With capacities starting at 16GB (4GBx4), 32GB (8GBx4 / 4GBx8) and 64GB (8GBx8). Ripjaws 4 has ultra low voltage rating of 1.2V for kits under 2800MHz and 1.35V for 3000/3200MHz."

You will be able to add 4 more sticks of 4Gb memory.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 23 Apr 2015 at 5:30pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:35pm
Filling all the ram slots will keep your quad channel.    It needs ram in banks of four, so all eight is fine.

A possible issue is that filling all the slots puts more stress on the memory controller built into the cpu and might require a tweak in your overclock to keep it stable.   But, you never know until you do it, from my understanding.   4x8gb is less stress than 8x4gb. Less slots filled.

If the overclock is effected, DS could help over the phone. What you want is definitely doable.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 2:03pm
You should be fine to do the upgrade.
Corvo View Drop Down

Quote Corvo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 2:28pm
Cool, I appreciate everyone's responses. When I receive my computer I'll add the additional memory that I purchase myself and hopefully all goes well lol. If I have any issues with it after getting the memory, I'll contact Digital Storm for fixes.

I got a few more in depth answers from a few computer savvy people I know as well as you fine folks here.

The only concern I think I have with it now (which may not even be an issue) is that it turns out this memory I'm getting apparently has a base speed of 2133MHz? Yet all over the advertisement for it everywhere, not just Digital Storm lists it at 2800MHz. So I guess 2800MHz is its tested speed. So I guess depending on what my RAM is at when I get my computer from Digital Storm that THEY set my RAM at, I may have to mess with the RAM that I PURCHASE if it comes out of the box at a different speed.

So many delicate things lol
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 5:17pm
The difference is clock settings and timings.

I have Adata XPG ram and it can go from 1333 to 3000 depending on the above.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 Post Reply Post Reply