FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Question?

Post Date: 2012-05-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David42 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote David42 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quick Question?
    Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:21pm

Hi, I am new to these forums I don't really know too much about gaming computers or really computers in general since I just switched over from platform gaming but I had a quick question. I just ordered a DS xm-15 laptop and I was reading through the specs on it and it said that the GHz was 2.5 but in Turbo mode it could do 3.1 GHz. What exactly does this mean? Is this a feature that can be turned on or off in the control panel or, correct me if I am wrong, the bios or does this feature kick in automatically when the computer needs to? Also what is overclocking?

SinisterTactics View Drop Down

Quote SinisterTactics Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:02pm
This "Turbo Mode" is a feature of Intel CPU's, it means that the CPU is in an adaptive state, meaning that if a program needs more processing power, Turbo Mode will kick in and increase the clock, so it'll run faster. When there isn't much processes running the clock will be at its set minimum state. I do believe it the feature can be configured in the BIOS (correct me if I'm wrong).

Overclocking a process done to make a computer operate faster by adjusting the parameters of certain parts, it has its pros and cons. (Just check up on Wikipedia).

I'm pretty sure someone has a better explanation so yeah....
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:53pm
Well said, the Turbo Boost feature automatically occurs by the processor. You can see this happening if you download and run a program called "CPU-Z" which shows the real-time CPU speed. When all processor cores are not being used the processor is able to increase the speed of the cores that are in use and adjust the speed based on thermals as well.
David42 View Drop Down

Quote David42 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 6:39pm
Ok thanks for the help...
 Post Reply Post Reply