Quiet & Cool Retro (Vista) General Purpose Rig

Post Date: 2012-04-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
taw2015 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote taw2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quiet & Cool Retro (Vista) General Purpose Rig
    Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:43pm
For running older non-Win7 stuff, and a good many old games. It should run cool with dust protection and an H-100: #672516

Budget = $2500 or less, including shipping (more or less).

Already have keyboard/mouse/monitor.

This would be a replacement for a bunch of old (4-7 year) laptops that were running MS Office, Filemaker, Photoshop and the like.

Edited by taw2015 - 05 Apr 2012 at 1:57am
Learn history from the people who lived it via BBC Witness podcasts.
Minka View Drop Down

Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 12:59am
May I ask why you want Vista?
Windows 7 and Vista are almost exactly alike except for one thing. Vista's performance is shoddy. Compared to Windows 7 (and even XP), bootup takes longer, file transfers are slower and in laptops battery life is reduced.
If you want to run programs that won't run on Windows 7 for some reason, I'd think dual-booting with XP would be a much better option. *nod*

Can you give more examples of what you are going to be doing with the computer? Large photography editing? Or just general stuff?

If you aren't going to be doing any gaming at all, you have no need for the GTX 570 and absolutely no need for water cooling. You just won't be putting out that much heat.

Here's the build I made #672685, saved you $351 :)
taw2015 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote taw2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 2:46am
I originally had the CPU-only DS cooling with glowing tubes, but thought the Corsair-thingy would be better cost-wise.

When I had an HP laptop, I had Vista Ultimate and it was dead-rock stable, and never blue-screened or caused any other problems. In contrast, my Toshiba a500, which I'm using to type this, has crashed occasionally under Win7. I'm always amazed when people claim difficulty with Vista. (BTW, the Tosh has the mobile version of the 560, and at times it's quite slow.)

I edited my original post, so it will have (lots of) old games that don't seem to like Win7, plus graphics creation using Photoshop and Corel Painter with a digitizing tablet, something called Blender, the editor from Unreal Tournament, and, when I'm otherwise asleep, crunching work units from various BOINC projects (which is why I'd like the 570 in it).

I guess I should've pointed out I have another DS system, and it has dual 570's for all kinds of newer stuff, and whatever might come along in the future. Alas, it's overclocked without liquid cooling. That's alotta fan noise running BOINC.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 4:01am
Hi taw2015........I'm going to take this in a little different direction and see what you think.  It could be all wrong, but I'll explain after...

Config # 672707   Cost $2574

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96KHz
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

You've already  done the HafX , sli 570, i7-2600k thing with your other rig, and if I read it right you want different.

The 550D case is nice, not the cooling of the HafX,but with the H100 mounted on the top, the case will cool better than stock and H100 on slow speed is quieter than A70/D14.  If the case does need more to keep cool, DS will add fans to the side which will give you more fan noise than you have now, and you say you don't want.  One of the features that draw people to it, is the quiet.  But, the quiet goes away when the top and side mesh noise dampening panels are removed for fans.

I went with the X79 platform because the programs you listed, and I don't know them, might run faster with the quad channel memory of that platfrom.  I did drop the cpu to the 4 core i7-382 to save $300.

This build is more than your budget, but if DS can drop the ram to 8GB, the config won't allow me to because of the X79, then it might bring you in budget.

See what ya think.   It could be off base, but something else to consider. 

Good LuckBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Apr 2012 at 9:04am
Minka View Drop Down

Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:52am
Ah, okay, sorry. I'll let bprat take over from here :P
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:57am
Hi Minka.....I just wanted to show him another way to go, not to steal anything.  Some of us follow each other around, making multiple suggestions. 

It's all good Big%20Smile
Minka View Drop Down

Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Minka.....I just wanted to show him another way to go, not to steal anything.  Some of us follow each other around, making multiple suggestions. 

It's all good Big%20Smile

Ah, no, I was replying to the OP. I was just saying that because you know more on the subject than me. You're fine. :-)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 2:25pm
taw2015 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote taw2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:15am
Hmmm...

Did some twiddling of the ol' brain-thumbs and came up with this:

Took the sound board out, added a 520-series SSD, dropped to 8gb RAM, upgraded to i7, then added a Stage-3 cooler, and it came in UNDER $2500.

(Is the power supply too weak for the new setup?)

BTW, $2500 is what I paid for an Apple //e waaaaaaaay back yonder in 1983, and it's always been my "reference" system cost, as in "what can I buy for $2500?" If I have to go over that, it better be damned special.

Edited by taw2015 - 06 Apr 2012 at 11:16am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:37am
That's a good build.  I would up overclock to stage 2 and use the H100 for cpu cooling.  It comes with a 5 year warranty, has a 240mm rad instead of 120mm rad. and saves you another $110.  Plus, mounted to the top with it's two fans will give that case better airflow. 

Not until stage 4 cooling do you get into true water cooling. 

I believe your other pc has the A70, so you know we like air cooling better like the D14, but your call.

The 750HX psu is great and all you need for single gpu.

Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:40pm
Just a thought, but Pro Win 7 comes with an XP mode, I know because I use it myself for running old telecom system admin programs, you can get in touch with someone at DS and ask them to do what's called a Drive Partition and simply dedicate XP mode to a partition, a partition is when you logically split the hard drive into multiple smaller pieces.

I would probably ask Alex if that's possible first, but, if they can, you could just run all your old games from the XP partition, and still have the wondrous OS that is 7.
 Post Reply Post Reply