FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Built in Administrator Account"

Post Date: 2015-06-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ST7A Bad Karma View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: "Built in Administrator Account"
    Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 8:22pm
I received my new Velox rig this afternoon. I'm new to Windows 8.

The new Win8 "Start" screen, whenever I click on anything but the Desktop window I get the following message:

"This App Cant Open"

"________ can't be opened using the Built in Administrator Account. Sign in with a different account and try again".

When I attempt to sign out from the Start screen I'm signed out, then im taken to some rainbow splash screen. There are no options on that screen. I click anywhere on that screen and I'm taken to another screen and the only option I can find is the "Admin" account dead center of the screen. There's no option I can find to log in as Owner, User. Even when I try to log off from the desktop it takes me back to that same screen. Same result, no other log in options. Just "Admin".

I'm assuming the guys building my rig didn't log off as admin prior to shipping. I've already installed anti malware and antivirus as the Administrator. Will that software be available if I sign in as owner/user?

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 13 Jun 2015 at 3:04pm
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 10:50am
Bad Karma,

I am on my iPad and cannot cut and paste the solution. Very sorry.

I did Internet search for "built in administrator account". There are instructions on how to disable this for all Windows versions since Vista. I assume you have Win8.1.

The best solution I found was on the Windows EightForums, eightforums.com, in their tutorials section.

I got there by clicking the fifth link down, after I did the Internet search described above. Hope this helps you and I apologize for not being able to cut and paste the info you need.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 11:28am

I found a "fix" via a Microsoft link. A command prompt effectively disables the Built in Admin Acct(BIAA)

Upon executing the command prompt and restarting my system as Microsoft instructed I now have a log in option. Previously to disabling the BIAA I went straight to the desktop.

The log in options are as follows:

-Administrator
-Other User

If I select Admin I receive the following message:

"Your account has been disabled. Please see the system administrator."

If I select "Other user" I get the screen shown below. (Continued below pic)

Why does it still say "Administrator"?

So there are 2 keys below the log in option. When I click on the key on the right it gives me the option to log in with my Microsoft account. Upon entering my correct Hotmail address and password(verified on my iPad) I receive a message that my password is incorrect. There's the little "eye" icon I can click on to see my password. My password is correct and I logged into my MS acct on my iPad using the same pword.

So now I am locked out of my own computer and Digital Storm Tech support is closed until Monday. GG.   

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 13 Jun 2015 at 11:39am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 1:54pm
Try this....
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/27077-windows-administrator-account-has-been-disabled

Never tried it so, not sure it helps.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 4:18pm
I thought of trying to access Safe Mode. Unfortunately Win8 start up is so fast I don't see any boot options when my rig boots. There's a few seconds where I see the option to enter Bios, but I might as well be a raging bull in a china shop if I enter Bios.

Update: I have successfully regained control of my PC. I am still however logged in as Admin.

I enabled safe mode via holding the shift button while restarting the PC from the User log in screen. Once I entered safe mode I went to Command Prompt(Admin) and entered: net user administrator /active:yes.

Now that I'm in I'm trying to create my Owner Account under user accounts. The only option I have is creating a guest account. How do I create my Owner account?

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 13 Jun 2015 at 5:02pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 12:14am
It has been a while since I monkeyed with user accounts, but from what I recall, you can adjust the level of privilege in the account settings, if you have admin rights (it will prompt you for the credentials if your aren't logged in as admin). So you might just set one up and change the level of privilege after it has been created...but there might be some issues with the extra limitations of guest accounts (I've personally never tried it from a guest account)l.

Also, if the Admin account is not active, it is still there, just hidden in the GUI appliances.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 12:28am
Thanks for the reply!

Granted I'm new to Windows 8, but it appears that the Admin is the owner and the user I created is guest. I'm already running into issues wher I try to perform a task and I get the message "only system Admin can...blah..blah..blah"

There is also the fact that the Digital Storm system monitor only shows up on the admin Acct, along with MDI Afterburner. No telling what else I'm still getting familiar with the rig.

Add to that I paid for the Windows tweaks wher DS disables a lot of the unneeded programs I don't need to play games. Along with all the other tweaks.. I've already seen a distinct differences between the programs running for each acct in the task manager.

So what I need is the ability to access the Admin acct windows settings and tweaks as OWNER, not guest.

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 14 Jun 2015 at 12:30am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 1:09am
You'll have to reinstall the system monitor in the Public area of the user file folders. Right now, it is installed in the Admin part and only viewable to the the Admin account.

Unfortunately, I can't play around with my account much, as I'm using an online account on W10 Tech Preview and I'd need to create a local account (which I'd rather not do) to figure out the privileges issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply