FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"display driver has stopped responding..."

Post Date: 2010-08-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ashandarei View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: "display driver has stopped responding..."
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:16am
Hello everyone, hoping this is the right forum for this.  I'm the proud owner of a DS computer and I couldn't be happier with my rig. It runs amazing and I haven't had a single problem until now...and I'd like to get the issue resolved as it's about to be one year from my purchase date. It'd be extremely fustrating to have to replace a 500ish dollar video card because it went bad on me RIGHT after my warranty expired.

Some system specs before I continue, I can be more elaborate if needed.

i7 920 2.6 ghz OC'd to 3.5
6 gigs of ram
Vista 64
GTX 295 with 2 gigs vram
Coolermaster HAF 922 case with ample airflow and 7 fans

I've noticed while playing a few games, mainly World of Warcraft (usually happens in the BETA) that my video driver will crap out and I'll get a black screen for a few seconds then it'll recover. My computer tells me my "display driver has stopped responding but has been recovered." It's happened once or twice while playing starcraft 2, but I've been having the problem very sporadically for a few months.  I've updated to the current nvidia drivers, but I can remember it doing it with the last set of drivers too, I think.

I've perused a few sites and it says it may be a driver issue, but that it could also be a faulty card. It would seem to me it's maybe just the driver, but other insight would be nice if anyone else has experience this problem or has way to help me isolate the cause so I can get it fixed quickly.

Edited by Ashandarei - 08 Aug 2010 at 10:27am
You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:31am
try installing different versions of your nvidia drivers and see if it still happens

Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 2:25pm
I've tried 3 different drivers so far and they all seem to still do it, any other suggestions?
You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 3:36pm
this used to be a really huge problem a few years ago, there are tons of different posts online with wierd fixes to this, i would just dig around until you find somethng that works, or contact dso by email and see what they suggest

from what ive gathered, no one really knows the source of issues like this, every answer seems a little different, and no one seems to know who to blame

i went through this problem with an 8800gt, and i thankfully did not have this issue with my 8800gts512

make sure youre using something to clean out any evidence of your drivers before you install new ones, and make sure windows is fully updated

try going back to a significantly older driver also
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 3:58pm
I used to randomly get that sometimes with my 8800GTS 512 on my old Dell. Not often though.

Only happened under heavy gaming and only with certain games, I always just chalked it up to overheating, bad game programming, and/or driver/software issues.

To date Lilim's 480 has never had it happen, so it may not necessarily be a driver issue since for awhile I was playing the same games with the same driver as I was with the 8800GTS 512.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 6:49pm
your system would RECOVER?! dang, you're lucky. my current last-gen dual 9600 setup would just go to a black screen mid-game and stay like that. I gave it 20 min, still stayed black. only on one lucky occasion did it revert to windows and heal, telling me that the display drivers stopped functioning. otherwise, it'd tell me when I reset and rebooted.

the thing that fixed it for me was when I upgraded to windows 7. but it came back 3 months later...

Edited by ablahblah - 08 Aug 2010 at 6:49pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:32pm
Doesn't seem to be doing it with 197.45 driver from nvidia, but I'm going to keep running stuff and checking it out. Ran the stability test in furmark without once wigging out.

I think it was Vista64 and the driver conflicting, since my brother has the same card and his runs fine on 7.

*Edit* Nevermind, it's back.

Edited by Ashandarei - 08 Aug 2010 at 10:46pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:49pm
Read through this thread and see if this is any help at all.  As others have stated already, this issue has been around for a long time and there are many speculations as to what causes it.  I did a few things including flashing my bios and I haven't seen it since.  Notice the date of my post.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=5326&KW=&PID=59114#59114
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:07am
You might also want to try:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=5499&PID=60736#60736

Edited by Alex - 09 Aug 2010 at 2:08am

Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:44am
So far, tried uninstalling drivers and cleaning out then reinstalling, seems to be working alright. Will keep testing to make sure.

*Edit* nope, just did it, moving on to next fix. Side note, it's only happend once in Starcraft 2, but after I played the world of warcraft catacylsm BETA, so I'm wondering if it's the beta causing my issues. Running various games to check to see if the problem persists solely in one game or others, and if it happens outside of games (hasn't yet that I can remember)

Nevermind, it just did it in another game. This is semi aggravating.

Tried a few more of the fixes but they don't seem to work. What should I do if I can't find a solution?

Edited by Ashandarei - 10 Aug 2010 at 8:55pm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 3:22pm

what temps are you seeing? high GPU's temps can cause problems, and can increase over time, as dust builds up inside the card.

I would run a GPU stress test, like furmark, post processing, max resolution, and details, for at least an hour.

If that all passes then I would look into  the drivers.. uninstall, re-boot, driver sweeper, reboot, install drivers, re boot. If issues still occur, I would run Prime95 for a minimum of 12 hours, if that passes, then re-install windows, sometimes after a while it just get a few hiccups.

Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

what temps are you seeing? high GPU's temps can cause problems, and can increase over time, as dust builds up inside the card.

I would run a GPU stress test, like furmark, post processing, max resolution, and details, for at least an hour.

If that all passes then I would look into  the drivers.. uninstall, re-boot, driver sweeper, reboot, install drivers, re boot. If issues still occur, I would run Prime95 for a minimum of 12 hours, if that passes, then re-install windows, sometimes after a while it just get a few hiccups.

Ran Furmark a while ago for a few hours and nothing got hotter then 70 degrees, I'll have to try that prime95. I was trying to avoid a reinstall if I could manage to fix it, but I'll try that if I can't.

Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 9:46am
Seems I'm starting to have other video problems now, pixelation and screwed up sections of screen randomly during games.
Utopi View Drop Down

Quote Utopi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:04pm
I have the same problem 2-3 times a day but I know why... my graphic card went "boom"... overheated and ruined... new DS system is on the way!

Quote Ashandarei Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 8:42pm
Which is why I went with Digital Storm. Amazing forum and amazing customer support. Buyer for life.
Fang View Drop Down

Quote Fang Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 3:21am
I hope your issue gets fixed (if it already isn't)... My computer was doing exactly the same problems basically, so I took it down to DS and they're working on it. 

edit - Fyi, with mine, the tech guy I talked to said it was most likely (not confirmed) corrupt DirectX files and a re-install may be needed.  So... make sure you back up your data.  o.o

Edited by Fang - 21 Sep 2010 at 3:25am
msconfig View Drop Down

Quote msconfig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 1:27am
was this problem every resolved   I am having the same thing and have tried every thing Alex suggested  in the link she posted  even a reinstall and still have the problem,  have  used driversweeper to clean out video drivers  and tried from original drivers off NVidia disk  to different updated drivers all the way up to present most upto date drivers..

if there is a solution to this would like to know,
 Post Reply Post Reply