FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RAM Question

Post Date: 2018-01-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ravenwjf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ravenwjf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RAM Question
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:15am
I am about to add RAM to my Aventum 3, and I want to order Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16x2 GB 3000MHz RAM sticks. I do not know what brand of RAM is currently in my Aventum, it just says Digital Storm. Will it matter what brand I add if its the same type and speed of RAM? I have been reading conflicting info on mixing brands and was wondering if anyone here has done that and their experiences with it. Thanks!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:17am
DS has typically used ADATA ram.   Use CPU-Z to match timings , such as 9,9,9,24 as an example. 

Its usually recommended to use all new ram, but I have added ram with no issues.  The brand shouldn't matter as long as you match them.  XMP profiles and voltage with each ram has to be set in Bios.  The new ram might take the XMP you have now, but that's something else to check. 

You could have issues, but no way to know until you try it. 

Ravenwjf View Drop Down

Quote Ravenwjf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 11:39am
Thanks. I checked my mother board to verify the RAM I will be using is compatible and I am going to be doing it as a pair. So, I will have 2 pairs, one set from DS and the other from Corsair. They are both the same type and speed so hopefully there wont be an issue. Thanks for the info.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:22am
IMHO bad idea match your ram or get new set, xmp could be an issue what platform are you on?
Ravenwjf View Drop Down

Quote Ravenwjf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:37pm
My MB is the MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon and I am running Windows 10 64 bit. Hopefully that is what you were referring to.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:42pm
Ya z270 is newer platform, with older platforms you mux easy newer platforms not so much.

Be prepared to match your corsair if they don't work together, stock you will be fine xmp is where you could run into problems.

Let us know please so we can update our info

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jan 2018 at 5:42pm
Ravenwjf View Drop Down

Quote Ravenwjf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:32am
So I added the Corsair RAM to my computer. The other 2 sticks are ADATA RAM, but the specs on both sets are exactly the same, DDR4 2x16GB 3000MHZ, same latency 16-18-18-36 and 1.35V performance value. I installed the RAM and the computer acknowledged the new RAM and I went into the BIOS and enabled XMP. I only had one profile and I used auto which changed it to 3000MHz and used the 16-18-18-36 latency.

Once booted in I started getting issues with Chrome pages going Aw Snap and if I started doing multi tasking the computer would reboot. I tried reseating the RAM sticks to make sure they were in properly and tried several more times. Same thing, after about 5 minutes the computer would freeze then reboot, no blue screens of death though. I turned off XMP to make sure I didn't have bad RAM sticks and everything worked fine, just at 2133MHz or something like that.

So after about an hour of it being stable like that and doing alot of gaming and multitasking without a reboot I went back in to XMP and manually set it for 2800MHz, and everything was fine. I went back in and upped it in stages to see what was the max stable speed. I found 2933 MHz is the max I can go with the computer still being stable.

I guess this may be from the fact that its 2 different brands, not sure, but I really don't think I will see a huge performance gain from 67MHz!!! Anyone have any ideas if this is normal or what could be the cause? I am more curious then worried, since I really don't think there is a huge loss. Thanks!!!

Edited by Ravenwjf - 11 Jan 2018 at 5:40am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:08am
You're fine at that speed.  No difference in performance.  This is just the sticks acting up when mixed, some will have no issues and others have trouble.

It is possible one of the sticks isn't as good as the other.   

If its running then I'd leave it be and Enjoy.  Big%20Smile

If you wanted to play a little, you could just use the Corsair and see if the same thing happens at 3000.   If it does then one stick is a bit finicky.  If the Corsair run fine at 3000, then my guess is just a small compatibility thing. 

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Jan 2018 at 9:10am
Ravenwjf View Drop Down

Quote Ravenwjf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:25am
Thanks for the response. I will probably try that this weekend with the XMP on just the Corsair set. I guess I should state that I just realized I had never OC'd my original RAM. So, it maybe either set has a stick acting up, or just the little difference in manufacturers causing it. Again, not worried about a 67MHz difference just curious now. Thanks again.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:57am
As bp said your speed is fine you can test them out separately, but you should be ok tho down the road you might run into issues again or you may not, that is part of mixing ram.
 Post Reply Post Reply