FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rdy to buy, please give final look

Post Date: 2016-04-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brytag View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brytag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: rdy to buy, please give final look
    Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 4:14am
Budget:

Expectations:
looking for the most stable and highest performance rig i can get within my budget. willing to go a bit higher (to 3000 dollars) to make a big noticeable upgrade. i want a quality machine that will be able to play the newest games at highhest settings without upgrades for several years (if this is possible)

Usage:
the computer will be used everyday for gaming mostly. dark souls 3, division and other misc steam games. in addition to general web surfing

Special Needs:
none

Saved Ticket #: 1403178

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

ok i been reading numerous forum posts over the past 10 days or so and i think this is the best build i could get for my needs within my budget. as stated above, im looking for the most power/performance rig i can get within my budget. looks are only a mere small importance. quality and stability are key. also not looking to upgrade the machine at this time. i would like it to stand the test of times for 3-4 years before needing upgrades.

im slightly over my 2500 budget here at 2672 not including tax but im ok with going up to 3k for efficient upgrades. but if i have unecessary components here that i can downgrade for better cost efficiency, please advise.

only question i think i have is the ssd. i just went with the 512g samsung 850 pro. i know alot of people recommend the 950 in other posts, but is it worth the extra 70 or so dollars? i dont think i will notice the speed difference with that i plan to do. what i will upgrade is the community feels it is worth it.

this original build was the apollo lvl 2 which i customized accordingly. is it worth going lvl 3 for the x99 motherboard and I7 5820?

im assuming i have plenty of air flow and cooling to keep the machine cool. but please check if possible.

i think thats it. i await the community responses. thanks

Edited by brytag - 21 Apr 2016 at 4:16am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:08am
Hi brytag,

Before we can answer some of your questions we need to know what monitor setup you will be using. The monitor resolution dictates what GPU you need. The 980ti is way overkill for a 1080 monitor. So let us know your monitor setup and what you might do in the future.

The case you have chosen has excellent thermals. No problem there.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:21am
The previous thread mentioned a single 1080p.   Not sure if it changed.

As far as the SSD, the 950 is the latest and greatest and fastest, but I wouldn't think general gaming to matter much.

Build looks great.
brytag View Drop Down

Quote brytag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:59am
oh ya im sorry, forgot about monitor. ya the plan is just a single 1080p for the moment. i may add a 2nd 1080p monitor in the future to have a show/movie on it while gaming. im assuming 1 single 980ti is fine for that?

ok so i guess it is up to me to decide on the 850 or the 950. ill think it over some and do some reading and then decide. the cost is only 70 more dollars i think so i may just get the 'fastest and latest".

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 7:18am
A gtx 970, which I have, maxes most  everything out there on the 1080p.    My personal choice would be the 970 for the next year or two and move up to a newer generation as needs arise.   Like Frank said, the 980 ti is more than a 1080p needs. 

Rumor is that the present Maxwell cards, the 970, 980 and 980 ti, are already being stopped in production, to market the new Pascal cards arriving soon.   No idea what the performance will be but as production stops on the Maxwell, the ability to add another or get a replacement diminishes.   
DigitalPickle View Drop Down

Quote DigitalPickle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:09pm
I have a 980ti and most games at 3440x1440 resolution are maxed. So with a 980ti at 1080p you are more than good.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:12pm
Hi brytag,

the 980ti is way overkill for a 1080 monitor. bprat22 gave you some good advise. The 970 is all you need for 1080. If you wanted a bit more, get the 980, not the 980ti. Big difference in price between the 970 and the 980ti.

Frank
brytag View Drop Down

Quote brytag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 7:41pm
interesting, so ur saying a 970 is all that is needed? im surprised as alot of other post ppl were getting at least 980 even with 1080. im not complaining as the 970 is much cheaper and saving money is always good =).

im more concerned a bit with the future. wouldnt getting a 6gb card be more 'future proof' then a 4gb one? id like the system to be strong for a several years. thats why i was leaning towards a top end graphics card as that is usually one of the first things to fall behind on my rigs.

Edited by brytag - 21 Apr 2016 at 7:43pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:48am
Without knowing what future demands will be , it's tough to future proof. I don't believe in future proof. No such thing in reality. Get what you need for gaming today and hopefully the next couple of years and then upgrade.   Graphics cards are normally considered a 2-3 year investment and the CPU about 5 years.    The almost $400 saved on 970 vs 980 ti is another card in a few years.   And cards are only going to get better.   

That said, 4gb vram for 1080p is plenty. The 980 is 15-20 % better fps over the 970 but a steep price to get it.   If you can, the 980 does give you a little more of an edge but the 970 is definitely the best bang for your buck.

Just my take on things.
brytag View Drop Down

Quote brytag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:25am
ya that makes total sense bprat22. im glad i made this post as these were concerns i was having before buying (buying too much "unneccessary power"). ya with the 970, im way under my budget. im at around 2200-2300.

so last couple questions then ill rebuilt a config and post and see what everyone thinks. lets say i get the current motherboard and the 970 card. are these motherboard usually good enough for future upgrades? what i mean is, lets say in 2 years i want to upgrade the 970 card to a (insert better video card here). will i also have to upgrade the motherboard too or are boards usually pretty sturdy when it comes to keep up with tech?

should i stick with the 115i corsair cooling?

im way under my planned budget if i go with the 970 card. i did a mock config and was somewhere around 2200-2300. so maybe i could throw a little more money elsewhere for some power? any advice there or just be happy im getting a solid rig for way under budget and use that cash for a new monitor or something? im guessing 1440 is the next resolution after 1080. is that worth picking up? but then we get into, is the 970 ideal for that higher resolution.

i think that is it for now. i really appreciate all this advice as i feel im getting what i wanted. ill check back later. im hoping to place the order today. thanks!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:44am
Not on my rig right now and my tablet won't open that.   But, if you want to go 1440p you start stretching the 970.    That's when a 980 or 980 ti might be better.    It's the difference between max and high settings. I see little difference between High and Max in game settings, but that could be my old eyes.    

Here's a link that shows what you can expect with various games vs resolutions.....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1595?vs=1442

You can also plug in the 980ti vs 970, etc.    Great site.

60fps tends to be the magic number we all shoot for, but the 50's are fine for me.

The cooler is fine. Even the h100 is all you need.

Lots to consider.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:02am
Originally posted by bprat22

A gtx 970, which I have, maxes most  everything out there on the 1080p.    My personal choice would be the 970 for the next year or two and move up to a newer generation as needs arise.   Like Frank said, the 980 ti is more than a 1080p needs. 

Rumor is that the present Maxwell cards, the 970, 980 and 980 ti, are already being stopped in production, to market the new Pascal cards arriving soon.   No idea what the performance will be but as production stops on the Maxwell, the ability to add another or get a replacement diminishes.   
hey bprat, i don't know where you got that info but consumer Pascal cards won't see the light of day for another year+.  the first cards are for super computing, brother.  Pascal will require an entirely new mobo interface.  they are NOT, repeat NOT backwards compatible.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:13am
Hi db... Really? I'll have to go back and check what I was looking at later today.   Could've sworn that was what I read, but , hey, maybe I blew it.

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:22am
my advice to the op:

stay away from the 980, it's a terrible price>performance buy.  the R9 390X is much cheaper for the same/better performance.

however, the 970 is the best purchase for 1080p (unless surround is your goal). 

if you want to cover all of your bases for anything under 4K gaming, spring for the 980ti.  it's a better buy than the Titan X and you don't need liquid cooling (like with the Fury X) to keep it cool.  

you don't need that much psu for a single vid card config.  even with the system and vid card oc'd it won't pull near that much juice.  save yourself some money with a good 750 watts psu.  

i like a fast ssd for system boots and level loading in games, i think it helps and is noticeable in certain games (depending on how the developer loads areas of the game world).   that being said, the difference between the 850 Pro and either of the pcie nvme drives probably won't be that noticeable in gaming apps-certainly not enough to justify diverting budget away from a graphics or monitor upgrade (the 2 primary considerations, imo, for a great visual experience). 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:31am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi db... Really? I'll have to go back and check what I was looking at later today.   Could've sworn that was what I read, but , hey, maybe I blew it.

yeah bud, if you find it link it pls (i'd like to read it), because everything i've read suggests that it's a long way off for consumers.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:16am
Here's a couple of links.  The initial one I looked at was 7 months old, so I looked for more recent.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gp100-pascal-zauba/

wccftech.com/nvidia-gp100-pascal-zauba/

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nvidia-pascal-gpu-release-date-news-graphics-cards-could-be-showcased-during-gtc-in-april/41507.htm

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/226879-rumor-nvidia-may-have-killed-maxwell-production-ahead-of-june-pascal-launch

See what you think.  I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing it.  Big%20Smile

One more that was linked....

http://techfrag.com/2016/03/18/nvidia-pascal-geforce-x80-x80ti-gp104-gpu-supports-only-gddr5-memory/

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Apr 2016 at 7:25am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:16am
hi bpratt22,
there is also this article in..

www.thecountrycaller.com/35915-nvidia-corporation-nvda-gtx-1050-and-gtx-1060-to-arrive-in-q3-2016/

from the stock market news for NVDA.Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:36am
Thanks, hoserator.     It hints at gp 204 and 200, the gtx 970, 980, 980 ti, being discontinued. 

Time will tell.  Big%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:18pm
it's funny to read tech articles that talk about "what they hear from sources" and yet fail to list those sources (or at best link those rumors to other sites that spew rumors without any actual legitimate source).  the rumor mill is strong with Pascal.  i'm expecting a paper launch for consumer cards in the near future and nothing more.  if they have stopped production on their big geforce cards, that just means they have a huge inventory of them.  i really don't see availability of the 980ti replacement anytime soon.  

edit: thanks for the links fellasBig%20Smile

Edited by db188 - 22 Apr 2016 at 2:18pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
brytag View Drop Down

Quote brytag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm
ok there was alot of great info in this thread. im very happy i made it. i learned alot. so i remade a new build. not much different than the original but it has ur recommendations in mind.

even though the 970 card will be enough to start out, i do want to grab myself a 1440 monitor in the near future. so i decided to go with 980ti.

as suggested by db188, i stuck with the 850 ssd and used that extra cash for the 980ti.

i switched the power supply to the 750W. im assured that this wil be enough power. i went to newegg's "power supply" checker and i was getting results of 650-700. so it does seem 750 is enough but it is ok to cut it so close? im not too familar with power supply knowledge.

anyways here is (hoping) the final.
System Configuration:Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:25pm
brytag...... That build looks good to me.   I personally would get the 850 watt psu because I like more headroom.

Go for it.

db.... You could be right. Rumors are all we have to pass on at the moment so we shall see.   June will be here in no time.   I say Pascal launches.   If I'm wrong I owe you a drink.   
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:39pm
an oc'd 980ti strix pulled less than 500 watts from the wall in testing i've seen.  add another ~200 watts for the rest of the system, you're looking at a minimum of 700 watts psu for an overclocked system (graphics+cpu).  

keep in mind, that wattage is under extreme testing conditions and benchmarking programs.  a pc under normal load while playing games isn't going to hit those numbers.  a psu is at its best between 20-80% of its output range.  obviously more efficient psu's are better. 

Edited by db188 - 22 Apr 2016 at 3:46pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
brytag View Drop Down

Quote brytag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:20pm
u guys have been awesome. just wanted to drop in to say that my order has been placed! and now the waiting game. i want to thank all of you for ur help and patience with me and the prompt replies. thanks!!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:09am
Congrats brytag! Welcome to the DS family.

Now, if you want that famous "Verified Customer" badge, make certain your order email and your forum email are exactly the same (case sensitive!).

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:36am
grats manAwesome
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:53am
Congratulations. Welcome to DS and its community.Awesome
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:02am
Congrats.
 Post Reply Post Reply