FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ready To buy my new computer need advice

Post Date: 2012-08-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blueeagle327 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Blueeagle327 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ready To buy my new computer need advice
    Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 12:48pm
Hi here is my config, I planning to buy a computer for games, video editing and to replace my Mac pro.
Please need advice mostly with memory type and amount of it. And also with my config in the hard disks.
Thanks for the advice

Pablo

Budget:

Expectations:
Get the best of best !!!

Usage:
Games - Video

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 64GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F240GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (3TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (3TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (SATA 6Gbps)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction <b></b>
Video Card: 2x SLI Quad SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Cryo-TEC System for CPU and Liquid Cooling for Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Digital Storm Aventum Automatic Response to Excess-Heat System (ARES)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm Aventum RGB LED Lighting System
Enhancements: Digital Storm Aventum Integrated Side Panel Display Module
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (USB) (920-000969)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M90 (Laser 5700 dpi) (MMO/RTS Gaming Mouse) (USB Wired)
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: Exclusive Premium Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 1:06pm
For your needs you would be fine with regular liquid cooling and not the cryotech just more to go wrong.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 1:08pm
I'm just putting this out there but for your budget you are not buying future proofing, especially with new technology around the corner but its your money spend it however you want, you could get the same performance with 4500 dollars
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 1:38pm
Hi Pablo,

It would help if we had a little more information. When you say you want the best of the best then that makes it hard to recommend changes for the sake of saving you some money. How intensive are you into video editing? If you just have a video camera and you want to make movies, that is a lot different than someone doing it commercially. What screen or screens will you be using and the resolution?

Just off the top of my head you probably don't need the 3960 unless you are really heavy into video editing or Photo Shop. The 3930K will do everything you want for a lot less money.

Unless you have done some work that requires 64Gb of memory I would start with 32Gb. Getting 64Gb of memory could even slow your process a bit due to having too much memory. It has a great deal to do with your requirements.

Unless you have used a Killer 2100 and think that it helps with your game play, it is a waste of money. It is probably the most overrated card that people buy.

The Quad SLI 690 is another waste of money unless you have a particular application that might use it. That depends on what games you play and your screen setup. I would much rather have three 680s in SLI than the Quad SLI 690. Primarily due to the cost of replacing a bad 690.

You probably don't need Windows Ultimate unless you deal with languages other than English.

I would drop the GPU OC as you will have more GPU power than you can use with the standard card.   

I would pick Western Digital HDDs rather than take what ever DS gives you. I think a better setup is to have your first HD a 1TB Western Digital and then add the 3TB cards for storage. The 1TB WD has exceptional speed for a HDD.

I would pick the Intel 520 SSD over the Corsair unless you are trying to save some money.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Aug 2012 at 1:40pm

Quote Blueeagle327 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 3:18pm
Thanks for all the advices, About your questions Frank, in order of video editing, I m not a professional, I used to edit my own videos (vacations mostly).
About what tipe of gamesI play, most of them have a lot of card demand, and actually I have a Dell U3011 at full resolution.
My doubt is in order of CPU and Video cards, I read a lot of reviews of the new 690 and of course about 680 also, and I thought that a new cad with a new technology make my system future proof, the same with the CPU.
I want to left my system ready for a monitor update - like others 2 like the one I have - to use it at full resolution too. But this is not for now.
Just to make sure, when you recommend me my storage disk, the config. that you advice is 1 HD of 1 TB and then another for 3 TB, and for my main disk 520 SDD.
You are right about the Killer 2100 I never tried before.
hope this will clear a bit about my confusion in this theme.

Thanks again in advance for all your comments

Pablo

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 3:47pm
Pablo,

Here is a Cryo system you might consider.

Configuration: 714674 Cost: $9104

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (3TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (SATA 6Gbps)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Cryo-TEC System for CPU and Liquid Cooling for Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Digital Storm Aventum Automatic Response to Excess-Heat System (ARES)
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty

Here is a system with LC cooling but not Cryo.

Configuration: 714826 Cost: $7576

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by FrankW - 03 Aug 2012 at 5:58am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 3:58pm
Pablo,

With the use you have stated I don't see any reason to pay $500 more for the 3960K CPU. It isn't going to give you a better gaming experience. You should do fine with 32Gb of memory. The DS memory is just as good as any other memory.

In regards to the Dual 690s. A 690 card has two slightly detuned 680s mounted on one card. You won't be getting any more future proofing with the 690 than you will with two 680s. Two 690s cost about $2000 dollars and three 680s cost about $1500. If you have one of the two 680 units on the 690 fail, it will cost you $1000 to replace the 690. If one of the 680s in the three 680 setup fails, it will only cost $500 to replace the one 680. If you just got to have the two 690s then I would extend the warranty as much as you can. The three year warranty only gives you one year of parts coverage. So with the standard warranty, after one year you will be responsible for replacing a defective 690.

On the two builds I suggested I have increased the warranty. You can adjust that to suit your self.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Aug 2012 at 4:00pm

Quote Blueeagle327 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 8:30pm
Thanks you so much Frank for you effort and consideration, I will go from the configuration you made for me, and will take all your advice in use, specially about the warranty.

Thanks again to you and all who give me advice.

Pablo
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 3:54am
Like at the hailstorm case also,
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:10am
Hi Pablo,

Some how I ended up with the Cryo cooling in my second build that was suppose to have Liquid Cooling. I made the changes so it now has LC. I am surprised someone didn't call me on that mistake.

The Cryo system is very unique but unless you are a tech junkie that wants something special you might be better off with the LC system. With the LC system you can work on it and replace parts if something fails. With the Cryo system if you have a problem you will have to return the computer to DS for repair. You will have to pay shipping both ways after the first 30 days.

It is your decision what you get. Make sure you talk to DS about your Aventum purchase. This case/system is new this year and DS is the expert.

Let us know what you final system looks like.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 03 Aug 2012 at 6:11am

Quote Blueeagle327 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 10:19am
Here I made some modification in order of all your recommendations, I change the Video card and LC systems, but I stay with the 3960X. I also change the case.
What do you think about it ?

Pablo

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - SilverStone TJ11 <b></b>
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (480GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (3TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (SATA 6Gbps) <b></b>
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) <b></b>
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Quad SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Enhancements: Strike-X AeroCool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) <b></b>
Chassis Mods: HailStorm & 950Si: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes <b></b>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel) <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty <b></b>
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 4:25pm
Hi Pablo,

1. Hmmm, why did you pick the the TJ11 over the Aventum? That seems like a mistake to me. The TJ11 is a very good air cooled system but not so great with LC. I think the Aventum has a better LC setup. The Aventum is definitely a better looking case. Unless you like holes cut in the side of the case for air intakes.

2. Your HDD drive number 2 should be the WD 1TB. You don't know what you will get with what you ordered.

3. The stage 6 LC is for Quad GPUs. You need the Tri GPU option.

4. You don't need the AeroCool temp controller with the Aventum case.

5. The drill and mount two side 120mm fans is for the Hailstorm case. Why do you need additional fans with a LC system. Makes no sense.

6. Your system noise is going to be coming from the radiator fans. Noise damping material isn't going to help this.

7. You forgot to order your Free DS T-Shirt.

Pablo, I think you took a couple of steps backwards with this system. Of course that is my opinion and you should get what you want, not what I like.

8. You need Win-7 Pro not Home. With Home you can't add any more memory if you need to.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 03 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm

Quote Blueeagle327 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 5:38pm
Hello Frank

You were right I change the case because I believe the other one is better - I saw some magazine review - but I didn't knew how this case was.
I take in consideration to make my final modification your configuration with liquid cooling not the cryo because I don't want to have any problem and have also send my PC back to DS.
You were right about Windows, but I made a mistake, probably I will need de Ultimate version, because, my primary language is not English but Spanish.
What do you think about my change in the Video Cards ? That could benefit me in something considerer my 30 inch monitor ?

I really thank for you effort, Was long time ago when I build a new PC so I get a bit lost.

Thanks again

Pablo

Ticket Number: 714975
Total Price with Instant Savings: $8,936.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=714975

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance) <b></b>
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (480GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 5:56pm
Good call on the videocards but I would drop cpu to the 3930k
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 5:57pm
Also I would put two 240gb intel 520 in raid 0
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 5:13am
Pablo,

I think you have a great system for and I wouldn't change a thing. The 4Gb GPU is a good choice.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 04 Aug 2012 at 5:13am

Quote Blueeagle327 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 8:32am
Frank and tju76

Thanks for all your advices and tips of how to config. My new PC I this Monday I will order this one from DS and as soon as I get it I will post pics and a review .

Thanks a lot for all

Pablo
 Post Reply Post Reply