FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review Cat Reviews the Digital Storm Assassin.

Post Date: 2011-04-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zate View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Review Cat Reviews the Digital Storm Assassin.
    Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 8:32pm
Hello there. I am review cat. Today my owner has tasked me with reviewing his shiny new Digital Storm Assassin.

So here I am testing it out.

and I'm done. I love it as much as he does. Awesome job DSO. I'm outta here.

Ok, so now that Review Cat is done, I can give you my take on it. Let's start with a score, a few words on what I think and then the pics.

All up, my entire experience with DSO is a 9.8/10. Absoloutly mind blowing. From their product selection, to me placing my order (and my sales guy not up selling me, in fact he SAVED me money) through the waiting process where they take such amazing care in building each system... all the way to the finished product. A system that is as beautiful as it is fast. A system tiers above what I could build myself, even if I could wade through all the information online and buy the parts that all work together.

Unboxing was a joy. No major issues at all. I would do my purchase a little different next time. For instance I wouldn't go with the fans/noise reduction addon. It just doesn't need it. This is the quietest thing in my computer room, infact now I can actually hear all the other tiny little distracting sounds. I probably wouldn't get the OC'd GPU.

The heatsink on this baby is amazing. It's the Noctura D14. Holy silent and cool batman. Temps are a cool 28-30c. (86f). Ambient in the room here is around 75-78. Thats pretty damn good. GPU is about 40c idle and about 65 in games. Not bad at all.

If i was to pick one small item that was a little below my expectations, it would have been the wiring on the backside of the case. I think it's also to do with the sound material. when i undid the case on the backside, it had quite a bit of tension on it and i could tell things were REALLY tight back there. Not a major issue and one I thnk I can solve myself.

only other issue I had was mounting my SSD. There wasnt a SSD type power connector easily usable near where the SSD mounts. Also the cables that come with the system don't allow you to mount the SSD there very well, but i think that is just an issue with this case paired with this mobo and me not getting a SSD from DSO. i know if I had sent it too them, it'd be mounted already and done right. Luckily I had a straight (no 90deg connected on the end) Sata cable, and a 4 pin to Sata power cable. All works great.

All in all I dont think in 35 years I have EVER been this excited to get something new nor have I been privy to this level of service and craftmanship. amazing experience. I will buy no other systems for as long as these high standards remain.

Ok, so enough talking I guess, on to the pictures.

Assassin On Order
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm
Congrats! Awesome

I'm another proud NH-D14 owner and I can't agree with you more. Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:30pm
Great review! I agree that the Assassin's black isn't that friendly for easy wiring. When we try to route the wires along the sides, usually they all come up short and must be run straight to their connections.

But, the wires are definitely out of the way in terms of good air flow for your system. Great system, we hope you enjoy it!
Sandman View Drop Down

Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:41pm
Excellent. Enjoy your new rig!
10Broken View Drop Down

Quote 10Broken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 11:09pm
Gotta love review cat! Congrats Awesome
Zate View Drop Down

Quote Zate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 11:47pm
This thing is amazing.

4.5 Ghz, stable so far in Prime95, IntelBurnTest @ 52-58 Deg. 1.25v

GPU Temps playing Crysis Warhead for an hour were 62.

I am going to shoot for 5Ghz slowly over the weekend, and start thinking about LC. Would like for CPU and GPU temps to be pretty stable.
Assassin On Order
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:08am
Nice rig! I'm also in agreement that wiring on past Raven series builds are pretty annoying though, my RV01 has some considerable right panel tension also. Might have wanted to wait for RV03 as opposed to the RV02 though, wiring should be easier with the smaller frame and better PSU placement (front, PSU installed so wires start pointing to the right panel already). FT02 looks awesome as usual though, the RV03 hasn't got that for sure haha. Again, great setup ya got there!
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 8:07am
God I love that case, it's so sexy. Awesome rig man.
Vaude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vaude Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:02pm
nice, just two questions

how loud is the gtx 570?
did you pick the nvidia gtx 570, and not the evga superclocked one right?
HAF 932
ENGTX570DCII
ASUS P8P67
2500k@ 3.3
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
TX750
Nh-U12p SE2
Arrived in late may.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2011 at 2:19am
Very nice boss
Zate View Drop Down

Quote Zate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Vaude

nice, just two questions

how loud is the gtx 570?
did you pick the nvidia gtx 570, and not the evga superclocked one right?

under full load, with the fan profile I have chosen (30% fan at 30c up to 100% fan @ 70c) it's the loudest thing in the room. When it's at under 80% fan, my ceiling fan is the loudest thing in the room. it's not overly loud. It is enough though to wish I had LC and to start designing a LC setup to go even quieter.

I got the EVGA 570 OC. It's running at 797/1950 @ 1.07v, I have had it as high as 850/2000 but the temps were up over 75 under full load, not something I want to do all the time (until it's LC). I went with the OC version as i was reading of an awful lot of people who's 570's were failing under as simple OC and figured that it would have already failed if it was a weak board.

Temps on the CPU are about 30-32c idle. and no core goes over 60c on Prime95 load. This cooler is amazing... and silent.

I did want to get a thermal controller for the fans, but then I realized that once the LC goes in, they will all stay on their lowest settings all the time.

I can post at 5.0 Ghz, but not prime stable. I can get prime stable on 4.8, but it's a little warm (up around 72 under full load) so i sit it on 4.5 @ 1.25v (low volts for sure, awesome CPU) and I will try for a 100% stable 5.0 OC when I get the LC installed.

Really wish I'd saved a little money and gone with the LC setup from DSO, but at least now I get to build my first one.
Assassin On Order
Joseph4Lakers View Drop Down

Quote Joseph4Lakers Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:32pm
My setup will be very similar but I will have sub zero cooling for cpu. Should I get a nvidia gtx 570 overclocked 4 year warranty or gtx 580 3 year warranty? And would you recommend this case with 570 overclocked?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 12:10am
joseph what res you gonna be gaming at?

keep in mind the 3 year warranty is really 1 year part.

RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 1:18am
very nice rig man! i love the silverstone case, ive got one to :D Few comments on ur settings though, the 500 series can take the heat running in the mid 70's really isnt a big deal and thus running at 100% fan really isn't needed. Honestly what kind of fps gains are you getting and are you even seeing them ie. average fps being over 60. If ur gonna LC your choice of case isnt really the best for it, people do it yes but it was designed to be a air cooled case.

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 07 Jun 2011 at 1:19am
Zate View Drop Down

Quote Zate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 5:15pm
Both the CPU and the GPU are now under water and it's an external system I have built with a Mountain Mods pedestal 24. I'll post up some pics here soon enough.

Basically have a Apogee XT Rev2 CPU block and a EK Acetal/Copper 580 block inside the case. they plumb to 2 connectors at the back (yes i drilled holes in my case.. hehe) and then run across to the pedestal case and go inside via 2 of the same connectors.

inside the pedestal i have 2 RX360 rads, a MCP35X rad with res top and 18 fans. 6 on each rad (Typhoon GT15's) and 6 low speed yate loons, 3 at each end drawing air in. the 12 fans on the rads are push/pull and exhausting outside the case.

Temps went from about 35C Idle and 70's loaded @ 5.0 Ghz to 31 idle and 50 loaded on the CPU. GPU was 40 idle, 70 loaded and now it's 31 idle and 40 loaded.

all in all very happy :)

I think though I am going to get a CaseLabs M8 and sell the FT02 and the MM pedestal.
Assassin On Order
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 6:19pm
Very nice big/proper rads with matched fans can create great performance as you see
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:36pm
I'm looking forward to the pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply