Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dan987 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dan987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Rig Conf advice
    Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 12:01pm
Budget:
My Budget is 3000 dollars but anything below that would be amazing. I currently have a LG 2k widescreen monitor but just recently bought a 4k samsung tv and would like to play games on it as well.

Expectations:
I want to build a 4k rig and possible VR without breaking the bank.

Usage:
It will be used to play array of video games which i want to be able to display on 4k also streaming videos(usually while i am playing a video game).

Special Needs:
I would like the system to be as quiet as possible without having to use LC. The no maintenance cpu caught my eye, but don't know how reliable it truly is. I do plan to upgrade the system later, with another 1080 in year or 2.   

Saved Ticket #: 1526231

Any input would be great, first time looking at digital storm and interested in any input you have on my 4k build
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 3:12am
Hi Dan987... That build is about right.    

Couple of thoughts....if the budget allows, I'd swap the DS SSD for the Samsung 850 EVO. You know exactly what you're getting and it carries the manufacturers warranty beyond the DS 2 year.   

The liquid cooling is a good pick and they are reliable, but obviously not as reliable as an air cooler with no pump, etc. But DS only offers the one air cooler.   

Good luck.
Dan987 View Drop Down

Quote Dan987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 1:09pm

Thanks bprat22, i upgrade to samsung 850 EVO, which also brought up a question, do the parts all come with the manufactures warranty beyond DS's warranty.

Also how noise do you think the system will get, I the room temp is normally low or high 70's but can get hot in the summer. Would the high performance air cooler be the better choice over the LC? Is there anything else you guys think can be swapped or change to increase performance. I just want a 4k machine that does not sound like a jet engine taking off.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:12pm
Most parts have at least a 3 year manufacturers warranty, the Corsair cooler I think a 5 year and that psu a 10 year, but check it.

Gaming in a 70's environment isn't bad at all, even in the 80's at times. I do it all the time.    

The cooler is up to you, each have their advantages. The air is the most reliable, the liquid allows higher overclock and might be a bit quieter under load if you tweak the fans.

I would pick the stage 1 oc, unless you will do it yourself. It does get you a higher consistant clock speed.   Not a game changer, but does help.

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Nov 2016 at 3:14pm
sidersdd View Drop Down

Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:00pm
@Dan987, what led you to the decision to go with the ASUS Z170-DELUXE motherboard, over the ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING?
Dan987 View Drop Down

Quote Dan987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 6:29pm
@siderdd, It was hard to decided both are really solid boards. I went with the deluxe cause it an overall better mother board. Two points i liked are that the deluxe has bluetooth and wifi. However either are a great choice.
Dan987 View Drop Down

Quote Dan987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 6:39pm
@bprat22, when you say oc you mean the air stage 1 and what do you mean unless you do it yourself?

Right now i am on the fence, i never heard of free maintenance LC and have always gone air. Why would you go air versus LC, is it just done to reliability? When do feel that LC is better to get then air, cause i not planning on running the pc 24/7 but it will be playing 4k games for some period of time, while i do wear headphones sometimes my pc right now is loud when i play at ultra levels and would like to avoid that for my next pc.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 2:21am
Overclock would be their stage 1 to 4.4.   You can do it yourself in Bios, but you'd need to read up on it or watch YouTube.

Air coolers are reliable. Nothing to go wrong except a fan. Liquid has a pump that can fail and a small possibility of leaks and fans.   They are very good, but just more of a chance.   Liquid also cools several degrees better than air with what DS offers and they take up less room.   

I prefer air cooling for its reliability. Too many years in field service has left me wanting less to go wrong.    Not that I wouldn't go liquid some day.
pharmx View Drop Down

Quote pharmx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:32am
Originally posted by sidersdd

@Dan987, what led you to the decision to go with the ASUS Z170-DELUXE motherboard, over the ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING?

I opted for the Z170-A over the Pro Gaming because it was only a slight bump in price and seemed like a nicer board, but am now second guessing myself. I believe I lost onboard WiFi and am not really sure what I gained in the trade-off. Probably should have just gone with the Deluxe, but couldn't justify an extra couple hundred dollars without knowing what I was getting in return.
Dan987 View Drop Down

Quote Dan987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:03am
@pharmx, I was the same way. It took some research to figure out what i want. You can't go wrong with asus mobo, it just want features you want and i wanted bluetooth and wifi. So i did not have to get separate card/dongle.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:04am
Here's a link to compare the various Asus boards...

http://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-all-asus-mainstream-z170-motherboards/

Basically, the Deluxe has the bigger heatsink, more connectivity if you need it and 16 phase vs 8 phase power delivery. Supposedly, the higher phase makes for less stress on the components and a smoother current delivery.   Real world... for most the 8 phase is fine. 

If you're getting the Deluxe mainly for WIFI, a seperate WIFI card like DS has is an option. 

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile
Dan987 View Drop Down

Quote Dan987 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:12am
@bprat22, hes right about the heatsink which i like cause i almost sure that i will go with air and the bigger heatsink will help.

Also I changed my LC to air option but opted for the stage 1 overclock cpu.

I am also really conflicted still inner performance me wants LC but the responsible me wants air. Never thought the hardest decision would be the cpu cooling .
sidersdd View Drop Down

Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:24pm
The extra USB 3.1 Type-A ports on the Deluxe is nice (5x vs 1x). Too bad these boards don't have more Type-C.
 Post Reply Post Reply