Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Sandy Bridge: Extreme Performance with Value
    Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 11:54am

Digital Storm’s New Desktops & Laptops Feature World’s Most Intelligent Chipset

New systems to feature Intel’s 6-Series chipset for intelligent overclocking, energy efficiency, improved price vs. performance ratio and superior

computing power

Fremont, Calif. - (January 5, 2011)Digital Storm, the predominant name in computer system integration and engineering, proudly announces the addition of the Intel® P67 chipset (formerly Sandy Bridge) into its legendary line of award-winning PCs and laptops.

Sandy Bridge incorporates Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 technology so that depending on how many CPU cores are being used at a given moment, Turbo Boost 2.0 can temporarily disable unused cores and aggressively overclock the active cores. This results in increased computing performance bursts when the user needs it, all while staying within the processors thermal design. For unlocked 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors, unlocked multipliers mean greater and more stable overclocks, without having to pay upwards of $1,000 for an Intel® Core™ i7 Extreme Edition processor.

In addition to Sandy Bridge’s new Turbo Boost 2.0 technology Intel® has built in GPU and video transcoding engines on-die which share L3 cache reducing distance & improving speed. SLI scaling for NVIDIA’s dual GTX 580s also receives nearly twice the performance boost.

“The performance gained by Sandy Bridge, especially with respect to price, is unlike any new hardware innovation we’ve seen,” remarked Rajeev Kuruppu, Digital Storm’s Director of Product Development. “We’re now able to offer laptops and PCs with unprecedented power for less money than we ever have before.”

Digital Storm’s Intel® P67 chipset-based optimized desktops and laptops will be available for purchase at www.DigitalStormOnline.com on January 9, 2010.

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:01pm
how are the overclocks coming on these?

Will you be offering the NON K CPU's in an overclocked package?

let me know if you need any help with them, but prolly won't they don't have much for options.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

how are the overclocks coming on these?

Will you be offering the NON K CPU's in an overclocked package?

let me know if you need any help with them, but prolly won't they don't have much for options.

i was under the assumption you cant OC the non K series bc of the bclock adjusts everything now(sata bus speeds etc.)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:49pm
They can be overclocked, just not as much. Big%20Smile
the 2500 non K model tops out around 4.3Ghz. so just mild OC's on them. 2600  non K tops out around 4.4Ghz  these are theoretical calcs, depending on what the motherboard companies can do with new BIOS's and also what steppings Intel is going to release, currently 4.06Ghz is the highest I have seen for non K CPU's
Even the integrated graphics can be overclocked.. LOL

Edited by justin.kerr - 05 Jan 2011 at 3:08pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:34pm
Great news then

So what are the oc stages/speeds gonna be for this platform?

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Jan 2011 at 3:35pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:06pm
I would guess that DS would overclock the 2600k to  3.8Ghz on the bottom and 4.4Ghz top for air cooling. the stage one stuff.
Be intersting to see what they get. 
Also very suprised in the non K overclocks, higher than expected.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:10pm
We'll have details shortly.
Metamorphosis View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:15pm
Alex I've been puzzled on one thing about the P67.. will it even allow the built-in GPU to even function? From the reviews I've read it was sounding like only the H67 can use the built-in GPU while the P67 is required to overclock the CPU. Which sadly means no QuickSync for epic transcoding speeds if I'm understanding it right. And one thing mentioned alot in the reviews is if you have a graphics card the built-in GPU is disabled automatically, but one review mentioned you could still make use of QuickSync by running the built-in GPU on a 2nd monitor.

Edited by Metamorphosis - 05 Jan 2011 at 10:17pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:33pm
quick sync is on all SB CPU's
not the CPU, but the motherboard will decide on the on board GPU.
P67 chipset, ot H67 chipset. ther later has the integrated GPU.

maybe this will explain better

bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:48pm
This cleared up any confusion.. and also found a workaround for running the on-die GPU off one monitor with a discrete GPU running. I wish there was a more solid release date on the Z68 besides Q2.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4113/lucid-enables-quick-sync-with-discrete-graphics-on-sandy-bridge
copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Alex

SLI scaling for NVIDIA’s dual GTX 580s also receives nearly twice the performance boost.

Can you guys elaborate on how SLI scaling gains a 2x performance improvement with the Sandy Bridge platform?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 10:26pm
I think he meant dual GTX 580's improve performance nearly double over a single GTX 580..
copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 10:52pm

I think he meant dual GTX 580's improve performance nearly double over a single GTX 580..

I haven't read anywhere else where the SLI scaling is heavily improved by Sandy Bridge... I'd be curious to hear more.

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 1:14am
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1500/8/

Shows improved scaling over the P55 board with NF200 bridge chip which has shown to give near identical performance to X58 boards. I don't know why they don't just compare it to a X58 because I'm sure someone will bring up something, but it's clear enough the improvements in scaling with the new board.

AvP sees no change in scaling, but that most likely be tied to AvP's heavier demand on textures and its just so bottlenecked on the card's RAM that no improved efficiency helps since RAM is what's holding it back. Xfire gets some small gains here which could be also be attested to RAM. Both other games tested though see vast improvements especially with SLi.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:29pm
NF200 is more of a hindrance to performance than anything.

That review does not show multiple card scaling improvements to me.
Of course a quad core will scale better than a dual core... especially a faster quad core...
On top of it, who cares about stock performance, only thing that matters is what it is capable of, now how it performs out of the box. 
Untill Sandy Bride gets out to the masses, to see what it can do, we kinda just have to wait for some real results.

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 3:55pm

NF200 is more of a hindrance to performance than anything.

That review does not show multiple card scaling improvements to me.
Of course a quad core will scale better than a dual core... especially a faster quad core...
On top of it, who cares about stock performance, only thing that matters is what it is capable of, now how it performs out of the box. 
Untill Sandy Bride gets out to the masses, to see what it can do, we kinda just have to wait for some real results.

I can find review after review stating otherwise about NF200 being a hindrance on performance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200,2537-9.html
"NF200-enhanced P55 platforms stay within 3% of X58 performance levels all the way up through our highest test settings."
Just to put it into perspective thats 24FPS instead of 25FPS, 48FPS instead of 50, 97 instead of 100. You can't even notice the difference thats how small it is.

The only reason to get a X58 board is for multi monitor gaming rigs. Though dont' quote me on that.. haven't done much research on multi monitor setups since I have no plans of ever going that route atleast until Projectors are more viable.

As far as you not noticing improvements in scaling with the newer P67 board? Just look at the link..

Metro2033 @ 1280x1024 goes from a 31% FPS boost going SLi on NF200 to 75% boost on P67
@1920x1080 goes from 40% to 70% boost

Stalker @ 1280x1024 goes from 35% to 74%
@ 1920x1080 goes from 59% to 84%

While at single GPU they all stay identical in FPS besides a small difference of 3FPS on Metro 2033 at 1920. So its not just a matter of the newer CPU performing better across the board.. its performing better solely on SLi (and X-fire) scaling atleast on single display setups.. multi monitor setups would most likely require a wait for X68 to come out.

Edited by Metamorphosis - 08 Jan 2011 at 4:14pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 4:24pm
i think someone is just jealous
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 5:43pm
It is a widely know fact the NF200 lowers performance due to added latency.
how can anyone compare SLI scaling with 2 different speed CPU's, one 4 core, one dual core, and there is no mention of the settings on either setup.   with those methods, I can show how a lga775 socket scales 500 percent better than Sandy bridge.. just silly. 

What am I jealous about?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 6:17pm
Everything has to be the same to see the difference in scaling, justin is correct.

Rice is just joking
copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:14pm
Why is X58 good for multi-monitor over P55 or P67?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:19pm

3 or more Graphics cards the X58 is better.  Has to do with how many PCIe lane the Chipset has. 

Nothing to do with the amount of monitors though. Big%20Smile
copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:26pm
So a P67 cannot take 3 video cards, even with a PCI x4 slot to each? Once the GPU goes to the bus, it's lights out for FPS anyway, so I'd even take a x1 slot if the chipset allowed it.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:29pm
take 3 cards? yes, with PLX, no PLX then 2 cards.   be as good as X58 with 3. no
copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:05pm

take 3 cards? yes, with PLX, no PLX then 2 cards.   be as good as X58 with 3. no

OK, so I'm assuming the ASUS boards have PLX. What would make this 3 card config not as good as X58? I mean technically? I'm guessing the only difference is more PCIe bandwidth available on X58. Which is fine by me, as that bus is still painfully slow compared to video card DRAM. I wish the nVidia boards shipped with 2GB standard as the 6950/70 ones do, thereby avoiding this PCIe issue altogether.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:18pm

PCIe bandwidth is what carries that fast Dram. lol

no, not all Asus boards will have a PLX.

If you want a good, fast single GPU solution get a new Sandy Bridge, no question about it. 2 cards, Sandy bridge will be slightly better, 3 or 4 cards, get an X58.
copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:33pm
I'm guessing that 1-2GB of GDRAM5 is not a cache to system RAM. No, instead games often load the entire level (texture, lights, vertices, etc) into that RAM (over the PCIe bus), and then you play from there. This is why I don't even notice the slow PCIe 1.0 bus I have with my GTX260. It still flies because it has 768MB of RAM, which is almost never exhausted.

Now I know some games stream their 3D data in, such as perhaps Fallout 3. There the PCIe speed would cause hiccups when you moved to a new area. But for any game with a huge "loading" screen before each "level", PCIe should not be a huge deal, IMO. Faster bus == faster load time. Once loaded into GDDR5 DRAM (as long as you have enough), it should fly.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:42pm
here is a pic, of the H67 and P67 chipset.
It might help explain how it works. the graphics cards attach to the PCIE lanes, that go to the CPU, the RAM is on the other side, and attached to the CPU.
Your GTX 260, did not produce enough power to saturate the PCIe1.0 bandwidth, so no bottleneck there.  The amount of Vram used will depend on the game, settings, and mostly the resolution.

copen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:02pm
Thanks for the graphic.

Interesting aside: from the picture you posted, I noticed that the PCIe x16 i/f directly from the CPU to the graphics card is printed as "16GB/s". According to Wikipedia, that is PCIx 3.0 speed. PCIx 2.0 is rated at 8GB/s for a x16 i/f.

I thought that Sandy Bridge chipsets were PCIx 2.0 compliant, not 3.0. Is that not accurate?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:07pm
PCIe 2.0 8Gbs each direction, so 16Gbs total bandwidth.  but you can overclock it, so that is just the stock rating. Big%20Smile

Edited by justin.kerr - 08 Jan 2011 at 10:09pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:51pm
pci x4 lane would lose lot of fps at that speed, 8x not so bad at all.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Jan 2011 at 10:52pm

bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Everything has to be the same to see the difference in scaling, justin is correct.

Rice is just joking

Everything IS the same besides the motherboard and thus the CPU on it.. cause that's what is being compared. I don't think we're on the same wavelength. It's a high end 1156 socket motherboard being compared to a 1155 socket board and seeing how SLi scaling compares on the two. How exactly would you recommend they do this differently? And as the benchmarks show the single GPU is getting identical numbers on both boards which would lead most to believe that this is a fair benchmark.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/2-way-and-3-way-amd-crossfire-and-nvidia-sli-scaling-on-intel-sandy-bridge/10585-1.html
This shows triple-SLi (and x-fire) getting very good numbers at times near perfect scaling.

Edited by Metamorphosis - 09 Jan 2011 at 12:55am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 12:35am
I was going off of what justin said, he said the review was not equal and there was a quad core cpu vs dual core, did I read that wrong?

bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 12:58am
It's correct its a dual core in the benchmark, but that's not what is causing a loss in scaling efficiency. I'll try and find a better review. 
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 1:36am
the configurator is down! does that mean we can play with building a machine soon!?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 1:39am
Mine is working great, I'm building SB as we speak.

joking I'm with you rice, I think it should be soon.

@Metamorphosis, no matter what all other things have to be the same to have the chance at best accurate results right? thats always my motto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>