FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should this work to utilize my SSD?

Post Date: 2010-11-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Goldom View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Goldom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Should this work to utilize my SSD?
    Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 4:45pm
My system has a small 40GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD. I mostly just wanted the system stuff to be unaffected by the HDD's usage (which was a big slowdown on my last machine), but since the SSD is still half empty, I wanted to try to put some game files on it to speed up loading, but without the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling between the drives whenever I change games. So I had an idea...

What I did was to take all the major files from a game (in my test, New Vegas), that were installed on the HDD - in this case, the five huge files from the data folder that seem to make up the majority of its data - and move them to a folder on the SSD. Then I made a symbolic link to them back in their original location. So Steam ran the game fine, following the link... but I got no change in load time. I tested it each way, loading the same save from a cold start, 9 seconds of loading. So my question is, is this a feasible method, and New Vegas just isn't loading enough off the drive to notice a change, or is having even the symbolic link on the HDD still slowing down the process to its read speed?

Edited by Goldom - 01 Nov 2010 at 5:09pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 4:55pm
if you want to use the ssd read/write speed you would be best off to reinstall the game on your ssd including all files
though it is completely possible that the game you chose can not move faster.
Goldom View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Goldom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:19pm
Problem is that with Steam, I'm pretty sure, all its games have to go in the same place - and I can't fit them all on the SSD. But after more test, and having times varying from 6 to 12 seconds doing the exact same thing, I think it just isn't gonna make a difference with this game's load times. I'll have to try it some time with something that takes longer.

edit:
Yep, theory seems sound, it was just that game's loading not being HD related I guess. I moved & symbolic-linked SC2 data in the same way, and it cut level loading time by 1/3 (31s to 20s), and loading the campaign menu by 1/2 (12s to 7s)

Edited by Goldom - 01 Nov 2010 at 6:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply