Should you try to overclock 3 SLI 285s?

Post Date: 2010-01-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Should you try to overclock 3 SLI 285s?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 3:16pm
I like to tinker with things...I just got my DS pc back this week after DS rebuilt it after having major freezing issues a couple weeks after getting it.  I have 3 2GB 285s in tri SLI with the dual loop liquid cooling for the GPUs and CPU.  I am running my i7 920 at 4.0 GHZ, bios says 3.8 for some reason but CPUz is showing 4.0 GHZ...which is an open question with DS tech support...however, everything else seems fine.   Since I have the liquid cooling for the video cards, is it worth it to overclock the 285s?   I want to try but I am not sure if anyone is seeing major performance gains.  Thanks for any input you can provide.   

Edited by eastor - 23 Jan 2010 at 3:17pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 7:10pm
what res and what games? dpending on those you could see some performance gain or none at all in games.

in benchmarks you will see a difference but that does not mean you get better gaming experience.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Jan 2010 at 7:11pm
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:47am

yeah DST4ME thanks for replying, I was just thinking of doing it for the fun of it, see what I could get performance wise on benchmarks...haven't seen my computer in 4 months,  DS repair and have been out of following overclocking the 200 series GTXs because of that....since I have the water cooling solution, will I be able to overclock them...my understanding is that it is limited without having the GPU fans?   Thanks!   

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:53am
what is limited without having the gpu fan?

you should see difference in benchamks, but not in games, with LC you can oc your gpus as far as they will let you go.
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:13am
Hmm...yeah a lot has changed in 6 months I guess....my temps seem a little lower this time around so I might have more head way for overclocking....at idle they are running around 36C versus 45-50C at idle with the old setup.  It appears they took away my dual rad, so now there are three rads instead of having one dual rad and one smaller (not sure what you call it rad lol).  I was playing the orginal Assassins Creed with max everything and it looked and played great, so I am guessing the fps were well above 60.    So are you saying that I won't see a difference if I am running games, such as Crysis Warhead, at 2560X1600 resolution?  Also, do you have any recommendations on games that have just come out that will really test my system?  Thanks DST4ME

C
i7 920 @ 4.00 GHZ
6 GB Muskin 1600 MHZ DDR3
3X 2GB 285s SLI
EVGA Classified 3SLI board
XFI titantium sound card
Digital Storm's Frosbite Dual loop liquid cooling for CPU and 3 GPUs 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:25am
My pleasure

for crysis and such you will see a difference but for most games you won't.

crysis will test it as good as any with good aa, gta 4 would be a good one see how high of aa you can get.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Jan 2010 at 8:26am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 9:25am
there are so many good game benchmarks, or if you use MSI afterburner you can see you FPS in most games as you play. The 285's won't overclock very much, but you still should be a ble to get a 10% improvement
 Post Reply Post Reply