FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slade Config feedback please

Post Date: 2015-09-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
a0152570 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote a0152570 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade Config feedback please
    Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:28pm

Hi all

Bit new to all this so I wanted to get some feedback to see if I missed anything important or selected something dumb.   It will be a dedicated gaming machine driving a 24” led monitor.  I am pretty much at my budget limit but could bump it a bit if something is really needed/better. 

Grateful for any feedback

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair  550D

Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (Intel X99 Chipset)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)

Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA

Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)

Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (128GB Samsung 850 PRO)

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU

Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)

Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)

Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Boost Memory: - YES

Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

Edited by a0152570 - 09 Sep 2015 at 5:12pm
jc
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 5:53am
Hi a0152570,

That is a pretty good build. If it was me I would drop the 128Gb SSD and add a WD 1Tb HDD for data storage.

You don't say what you are trying to accomplish as far as noise is concerned. If you are buying the Slade to be quite then your choice of the 110i CPU cooler is not a good choice. If you don't mind more noise but want better cooling, then the 110i is a good choice. If you want the lowest level of noise then the Stage 2 120 CPU cooler is a better choice. It mounts on the rear exhaust fan position. The 110i mounts on the top. This requires the noise reduction cover to be removed. The Slade case requires a balance between thermals and noise. You have to decide which is most important to you.

If noise isn't why you picked the Slade then you are good with your build.   

Frank
a0152570 View Drop Down

Quote a0152570 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 7:27am

Frank

Thanks for the reply.

Drive strategy- I have a 1Tb I will install.  I wanted a fast boot/OS drive and a fast small “scratch” drive .  Gave serious thought to the Intel 750 PCI SSD but cost and boot performance won out. 

Cacse/cooling/noise – I like full towers (roomy, easy to add stuff to).  Like the simple eloquent look of the  Obsidian but not married to it.  Priority was airflow/cooling then noise.  Want top notch cooling short of going to a full liquid or a high speed jet (loud) setup

jc
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:05am
The Velox is about the best air cooled case here.  But, for your setup, the 550D, especially with its top 280mm rad will be just fine.    Like Frank said, not as quiet as if you left on the top acoustic panel but still a clean looking and quieter than most case. 

If you planned on sli with the Strix type cards with their multiple fans that dump alot of their heat into the case then a different case would be my choice. 

Looks great.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Sep 2015 at 8:06am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:58am
Just for the record, the 550D is rated a Mid-Tower case but close to a full tower. Still pretty roomy. the Velox and Apollo are full towers with the Apollo being the biggest. The Velox is only 1.3" taller than the 550D and maybe a .5" wider. If you want a full tower Obsidian Series case you have to move up to the 750D. The 750D is special order for DS. I wish DS would keep a couple in stock.

This information probably doesn't have anything to do with your build. The 550D is a really good case, especially for quiet.    

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 10 Sep 2015 at 9:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply