FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slade configuration help

Post Date: 2015-06-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chulett View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chulett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade configuration help
    Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:19pm
I'm putting together a Slade configuration and hope to get some questions answered so I can finalize it. Starting with a Level 4 config and tweaking from there. Bumping it up to a higher capacity PSU and a Titan initially and doing incremental upgrades to other components. Settled on the Slade because I'm looking for something quiet with good airflow / cooling and don't need anything flashy as it won't really be 'on display' where it will be situated. First clarifications...

One thing I'm looking at is adding the Strike-X AeroCool display. I'm assuming it takes up one of the 5.25" drive bays but wondering if it in fact takes two. It also notes that it "Requires chassis airflow upgrade" - what is that and is that something I need to select myself or is it automatically taken care of?

I'm also wondering under what circumstances I'd upgrade the Vortex 120mm radiator liquid CPU cooler up to an 'exotic' H20 Hydrolux config? It would be cool to have colored tubes running through it even if there's no case window to see them but not sure if it's really needed, per se. I'm not looking for SLI Titans or super overclocking support, so wondering if the Hydrolux might be a bit of... overkill.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.
-craig
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:04am
The Strike X display takes up 2 x 5.25" drive bays and DS requires the fan upgrade under Chassis fans.   

The water cooling like Hydrolux is more a luxury than needed. It does give more control over noise, especially if the graphics card is water cooled and allows for higher overclocks.

The Slade 550d case is quiet because its a closed case with top and side acoustic panels to block the noise. If you change the 120mm radiator to a larger 240mm rad, the top cover needs to remain off for cooling where the radiator mounts.   Plus the StrikeX would be behind the closed front door.   You'd need to keep the door open, no big deal, to see the display.    The Strike X is more for looks than actual function. Nothing wrong with looks and flashy display.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jun 2015 at 3:37am
chulett View Drop Down

Quote chulett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 6:18am
Thanks. Right, I understand the display would be behind the front door which normally would stay closed but I saw that it opens both ways and can be left off. And yah, it would be more about a cool display than any must-have functionality. Thanks for the clarification on the size and fan upgrade.

I've also read the one linked review from the person who went with the top mounted 240mm radiator and understand how that would change the noise dynamics if I went that route. Probably make it more similar to my current full tower which has two top-mounted low speed fans. Not planning any kind of overclocking madness so don't see going full water like that, guess I can save me some bucks there.

Edited by chulett - 15 Jun 2015 at 6:19am
-craig
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 9:51am
Just a thought, but if this is for gaming, the 980Ti for $500 cheaper will perform almost the same as the Titan X.    Here's a link with some examples.....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1447?vs=1496

Not sure what the 12gb vram would be used for, maybe scientific modeling, etc, but not for gaming.   Yet.  Who knows 3-5 years from now.    Maybe a multi 4k setup, but not sure.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Jun 2015 at 9:52am
chulett View Drop Down

Quote chulett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:06pm
Sure, understood. Thankfully, I'm at a point where the money isn't an issue so mostly just wondering about how much I'm looking to... let's say 'future-proof'... this build. I've seen some benchmarks between the two, thanks for another to check out.
-craig
chulett View Drop Down

Quote chulett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The Strike X display takes up 2 x 5.25" drive bays and DS requires the fan upgrade under Chassis fans.

So just to make sure I've got the right thing, this fan upgrade is the first one listed as "Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) [+$99]", correct?
-craig
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:59am
Originally posted by chulett

Originally posted by bprat22

So just to make sure I've got the right thing, this fan upgrade is the first one listed as "Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) [+$99]", correct?

Yes
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
chulett View Drop Down

Quote chulett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:18am
Thanks!
-craig
chulett View Drop Down

Quote chulett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:23am
Pulled the trigger late last night and now officially at Stage 1... very exciting!

ps. Did not add any Hydrolux cooling and went with the 980Ti card, not enough bang for all that buck to go Titan unless you really need the 12GB of VRAM it would seem, which I do not. Yet.
-craig
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:20pm
Congrats.
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:35am
   Boo YAH!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse