SLI 670 GPU Temperatures

Post Date: 2013-01-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tdtnsp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tdtnsp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: SLI 670 GPU Temperatures
    Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 7:53am
So I got my rig and was putting it together over the weekend. With triple monitors Nvidia Surround running GW2, my cards max temp were in the 80s C. Given that it's on hardwood floor, and case fan were low, is that too high? I will increase case fan speed and see and report back.
It's Ode 4 config. with Noc 14 fan instead of Vortex, everything else is the same.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 9:26am
Hi tdtnsp...   Temps for your cards in the low 80's is safe and won't harm anything.  The ambient temp of your room and each card being different can have some at 75c and others higher.

I personally like in the mid to low 70's, but that's me.  If upping the case fans rpm  doesn't drop the temps then  run it without the side panel to see if air is a problem.  If temps drop by a few degrees then the side mesh panel in place of the window might help.

Also, the front bottom of the 600T case has 2x 3 bay HDD caddies.  If its not being used you could take out the top one ( 2 knurled screws) for a little better air flow from front fan.

80's is fine but you could also download and use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X to customize the cards fan profile.  Instead of 70% fan at 70 c for example, you could change the slope to 80-90% fan at 70c.  A little more noise though. 

You are fine but those are some options.  Good Luck.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Jan 2013 at 9:27am
tdtnsp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tdtnsp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 9:30am
Thanks! very helpful as usual bprat. I will try that and see what happens.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 2:47pm
Hey tdtnsp.    Good suggestions from bprat22.    

My sons year old Ode 3 from Dec 2011 is a 2 x SLI GTX 570 HD / P67 Sabertooth mobo - i7 2600K rig using Vortex 120 cooling in the same easy to work in Corsair 600T case, and we have done the airflow improvements of eliminating a hard drive cage and moving the remaining cage over next to the PSU.

Two more simple things you can do to improve airflow that we have already accomplished.    He games on that rig 8-12 hrs a day at high or ultra settings (Skyrim...BF3...FarCry 3...Portal...SecondLife...Metro 2033) and his GPU temps stay in the upper 60's C at load.

1) upgrade to a better primary front 200 mm intake fan and that should help the airflow to the video cards a bit....
We used the 200 mm x 25 mm BitFenix Spectre Pro White LED fan (148.72 CFM - 900 RPM - 27.5 dBA).

2) Add a secondary front intake fan mounted in the back side of the optical drive rack frame using flex ties. We used a 120 mm x 25 mm XigmaTek Crystal CLF Series White LED fan (61 CFM - 1500 RPM - <20 dBA)

Try those inexpensive air upgrades and see if things improve.   
tdtnsp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tdtnsp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 6:21pm
Right now 80-81 is max temp for first GTX 670, 77-78 is max for second card. Under load, average temp is around low 70 high 60. When I got the rig, it did not come with the mesh side according to DS, so I might have to buy that separately?
I'm not too familiar with case fans, are they easy to install?
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 7:48pm
Hi tdtnsp,

The temps you are seeing are pretty normal for the GTX 670 cards.  I have a pair of GTX 670s myself and see similar temps.

You can use EVGAs Precision X tool to adjust the GPU fan speeds.  Start Precision X then on the right side under Fan Speed click on Fan Curve.  Next click the box that says "Enable software automatic fan control". Then click ok at the bottom.

This will automatically increase the fan speed as the GPU temp increases and will keep the GPU temps below 80 C.

Using Precision X's fan control will increase the fan speed more than the standard auto fan control that the GTX 670 normally uses.  This will result in slightly hight noise levels from the GTX 670 fans but will have lower temps.

You will need to leave Precision X running while gaming to see this benefit. 

I hope this helps.

Edited by Asangard - 14 Jan 2013 at 7:50pm
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Post Reply Post Reply