FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So i want to replace my motherboard

Post Date: 2016-09-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Yowie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yowie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: So i want to replace my motherboard
    Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 1:06pm
When i replace my motherboard i know i have to uninstall all the motherboard drivers then shutdown, however do you need to purchase a new license key for windows 10 when you do so if you do it so you don't have to reinstall windows?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:04pm
do you have a M$ account?  if so, you can associate your free (if this a free upgrade version) key with that account.

If you haven’t yet signed in with a Microsoft account, head to Settings > System & Security > Activation and you’ll be prompted to add a Microsoft account to make reactivation easier.

Once you’ve added a Microsoft account, you’ll see the “Windows 10 is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account” message here.

When reinstalling Windows 10 after a hardware change–especially a motherboard change–be sure to skip the “enter your product key” prompts while installing it.  If you’ve just changed a few peripherals, Windows 10 may just automatically activate itself after you do a clean install. But, if you’ve changed the motherboard or just a lot of other components, Windows 10 may see your computer as a new PC and may not automatically activate itself.

Head to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and you’ll see a “Troubleshoot” option if activation failed. Click that option and sign in with the Microsoft account you associated your license with. You’ll be able to tell Windows that you “changed hardware on this device recently” and select your PC from a list of devices associated with your Microsoft account.

To clean-install Windows 10 on a machine activated in this way (via free upgrade), you have to continually skip all the product key prompts while installing it.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:08pm
if this is a new/purchased version of W10 with a product key, then it's a simple process of just inputting the product key when asked.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply