FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

so many options - help needed

Post Date: 2018-07-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GamingWeasel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GamingWeasel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: so many options - help needed
    Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:23pm
I'm new to the site and community, and while I've bought gaming PCs before, the sheer number of ways to customize here has rendered me indecisive.

I'm an avid gamer, playing RPGs, RTS, and TBS games for the most part, some recent ones which include Divinity Original Sin 2, Stellaris, Civ 6, Total War: Warhammer, and XCOM 2, among others.

One of my questions is number of cores vs clock speed. For example, would 3.76Ghz 6 core, or 4.3Ghz 4 core be better for my purposes?

My budget is $2000, and I want a machine that's going to be durable and reliable, and I wont need to think about upgrading or replacing for at least 3 years. I've been eying various Velox and Lumos configurations, but there's too many variables to consider, and I end up starting over numerous times. I have all the peripherals I need already, and I don't care about the appearance of the box itself or anything like that, so neither of those are a consideration. Monitor is max 1920 x 1080, but will upgrade at some point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Big%20Smile

Edited by GamingWeasel - 18 Jul 2018 at 8:58pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:29am
For your budget, the Vanquish level 4 is the best option.   It gives you the gtx 1080 graphics card for excellent gaming on your monitor or if you step up to a 1440p.    

To get similar performance with Lumos , you’re talking about several hundred more.

The 6 core at 3.7 , 8700, is a chip that Turbos to 4.7 on single core, 4.6 on dual core, etc.   Gaming loves higher clock speeds on fewer cores.   

Going to the Lumos does give you many more options, like faster drives, better warranty coolers, etc but it’ll be approaching $3000.    

Vanquish level 4 is a great deal for under $2500-$3000 budgets.

Hope this helps.

GamingWeasel View Drop Down

Quote GamingWeasel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 3:20pm
Thanks brpat, I appreciate the feedback! I think your advice will be especially helpful in preventing me from over-buying something I don't quite need.

My current computer is currently being repaired (supposedly), but no luck with it so far. So I'm not quite ready to buy, but it's looking more likely as the days pass.
 Post Reply Post Reply