FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So, whats wrong with this build?

Post Date: 2007-08-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TiMbALiN View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TiMbALiN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: So, whats wrong with this build?
    Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:34am
Well Im in the realm of about 1400 bucks right now.  If I wait for 2-3 months maybe a little less I can spend $1700-$1900.  Something resembling this  build should suffice, but again Im still in the window shopping status.  I also opted to go with 1 really good video card as opposed to 2 sli semi good cards(Can you convince me otherwise?). What do you think of the build?
Lunchbox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Lunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:43am
If you ask me, with the Quad and GTX's running in that computer your going to need more than 500W of power, and i might think about upgrading to stage 2 air cooling and spending the extra money, GTX and Quad cores run hot =D
GruntMaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GruntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:54am
What you spec'd out looks good...however...if you want to add another graphics card down the road you'll need the 680i mobo (either one) and you'll need the 750W power supply. Personally, I would go for a larger hard drive (for $30 bucks more you can go from an 80gig to a 250gig). I think that's a great value.

I also differ on the CPU too. I would go for a cheaper C2D and over clock it instead of a quad core. Burn that thing up (the core 2 duo) and replace it in a year or two with one of the newer models (quad cores) that run at higher speeds...they may also cost less too...who knows. You should be able to buy a new CPU for about $200 bucks or so. In two years they may have much faster quad cores and more games that actually utilize the technology.

Throw in the  stage 2 cooling too...it's not that painful to your wallet for $49 bucks and it will help keep the CPU cooler if you over clock it. I actually got the E6750 that's been over clocked by DS. It's a bit cheaper and they'll still cover the warranty...AND it runs at 2.8Ghz. I can't complain with that...that's almost as fast and still affordable. It's up to you just my two cents...I tend to base my purchasing decisions on value...most bang for my buck...since I'm a buyer for a living.

You did pick a great high end GPU.

Everything else looks sweet!
E6850 [email protected]
nVidia 680i LT
750W Thermaltake
250GB HD
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 2:52am
Depends what you going to use the system for. You can overclock the Q6600 to 3.2ghz.

You should upgrade to a 750 or 620 PSU.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
TiMbALiN View Drop Down

Quote TiMbALiN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 3:29am
Originally posted by skyR

Depends what you going to use the system for. You can overclock the Q6600 to 3.2ghz.

You should upgrade to a 750 or 620 PSU.

I would use a pc with that setting primarily for gaming, above all else.  I also wouldnt want to go SLI(unless anyone can convince me otherwise).  Id prefer using 1 really good card.  Also what difference does the power supply make?

Edit: 1 more question.  Is the bigfoot killer network card worth the money?  Will it really give you lower ping in games?  Or is it a waste of money.  From what I've heard getting lower "ping" is mostly on the ISP's end.

Edited by TiMbALiN - 10 Aug 2007 at 3:32am
TiMbALiN View Drop Down

Quote TiMbALiN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 3:51am
I've got a budget around 2grand.  I originally thought 1700 bucks but when I mentioned to my wife that I was planning to spend around 2 grand she said "Oh, thats not bad."  So hopefully in the next 2-3 months I'll be sleeping with my new computer!  Like I said I'm going to be gaming mostly so I want the best bang for my gaming buck.  Feel free to config any of your $2g budget gaming pc's.

Edited by TiMbALiN - 10 Aug 2007 at 3:52am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 4:34am
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=72454

A bigger PSU will give you room to upgrade to better CPU or GPU in the future. But if you dont plan on upgrading, then 620W should be fine for a $2000 system.

E6850 or Q6600? Up to you I guess, a lot of people have different opinions. Some would say get the E6850 and overclock it to 4.0 ghz if you aren't going to play any of the upcoming games like Crysis. Some say get the Q6600 and overclock to 3.2 ghz to play games like Crysis, Age of Conan, UT3, Alan Wake. They're both the same price. I personally would go for the Q6600 since I multi-task a lot while gaming =\

The bigfoot killer card is definitely not worth the $250 price tag. Pings shouldnt be a problem in today's world. Even with my crap DSL line stats, I have no problems getting 10-40. You need a better ISP if you can't get 10-40 on most servers.
TiMbALiN View Drop Down

Quote TiMbALiN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 4:46am

skyR, what about the sli format.  Are you for or against it.  Is it worth it?  Also  I dont know if they do(prolly not) but does DS upgrade pc's(I should be asking DS)?  My last 3 pc's I built with a friend but there was always something that would get in the way.  Im tired of having "problems" arise when upgrading and would rather not upgrade it myself.

Edited by TiMbALiN - 10 Aug 2007 at 4:57am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 6:14am
I do think they offer upgrading services but you would have to ask them to make sure.

I personally am against SLI & CrossFire. I don't benefit at all from SLI since I'm content with my games running at 1280 x 1024 on med-high settings. And with PCIE 3.0 coming in 2010, a single GPU is more then enough for me until ATI shoves it in my face in couple more years.

If you plan on playing your games at 1600x1200 on med-high settings, its definitely worth the investment imo, but other then that.. meh.

Edited by skyR - 10 Aug 2007 at 6:14am
Larry View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 8:09am
They will upgrade as stated in another post by Vjzzerdrjx on "Upgrading", remember that DS is there for it's customers.
TiMbALiN View Drop Down

Quote TiMbALiN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 1:04pm
Sweet, thats good news for anyone.  Oh and by the way, skyR, I noticed you selected stage 3 air cooling on that system setup you made a few posts earlier.  Why stage 3?  The system isnt overclocked and I really dont see it being overstressed.  Just wondering.

Edited by TiMbALiN - 10 Aug 2007 at 2:05pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 2:52pm
If you don't plan on overclocking then stage 1 air cooling is fine.
TiMbALiN View Drop Down

Quote TiMbALiN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 6:17pm

Well skyR, after reading your opinions I decided to downgrade the video card and upgrade the psu, the mobo, and the memory.  I also downgraded on the hard drive(i dont need 320gigs).  Top end video cards are always expensive. Also I would assume that witht he upgraded mobo/mem/psu I would still pull in good framerates and could always buy a GTX once they arent king of the hill anymore.  What does this setup look like? Click BTW I dont really think its worth the $400-600 that it costs to overclock the cpu unless you can explain otherwise.  Thanks for your help skyR.  Your advice is always helpful.

skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 6:51pm
It's a good build. It doesn't cost $400-$600 to overclock the CPU.

You can overclock the Q6600 to 3.2ghz or the E6850 to 3.6ghz if you invest into better air cooling. You should ask DS what they can overclock the CPU to with the stage 2 or stage 3 air cooling before you make your purchase.

You don't need the $600 liquid cooling unless you plan on overclocking the Q6600 to 4.0ghz.
 Post Reply Post Reply