FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strange fan speeds on System Fan

Post Date: 2012-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TortillaPicante View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Strange fan speeds on System Fan
    Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 12:14pm
So I've got a question, I noticed that the speeds of my SYSFANIN are alternating rather randomly. My computer is brand new (three days old) and this is really bothering me. The fan will jump from speeds of 46 RPM to 12 RPM all the way to 240 RPM and its changing instantly between the speeds. I have the black ops assasin set up,  and the be honest I'm not even sure which fan is the SYSFANIN but if someone could give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 12:18pm
By the way my computer build is here...
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (Model: ST500DM002)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA Edition)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 1:34pm
Anyone? =[
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:37pm
Is this problem something you hear from the case , a fan revving all over the place, or something you noticed in Bios.   I would check your mobo manual where they show where the fan headers are located and physically, with Pc off, trace where the wire leads.     There is no easy answer with the info you provided.      Check which fan, or maybe the H80, hopefully not, is plugged their and let us know.   
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:38pm
Fan speed readings are not always correct. I know you made another post about fan issues but can you actually see the speed of the fan change? Low RPMs like you are listing would be very, very noticeable as depending on the fan it should be spinning any where from 700rpm to 1500rpm.

As Alex said in your other thread check to see if anything is hitting the fan. If possible take the fan out of the case but leave it plugged in and power it up. If it spins normal and does not make any noise then you know something in the case is getting in the way.

If you take it out and it still spins slow or makes any noise that means the bearing is bad and you just need DS to send you a new fan.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:04pm
Well I've taken it apart and nothing seemed to be in the way so I put it back in and the sound was still there. As far as the fan speed I don't really see any fans speeding up and slowing down, the fan on the back behind my mother board seems to be slow but other than that it seems to be fine so i'm not sure whats going on... I'll try to take it out completely and see how it performs, I'm fairly certain its the fan that's atop the liquid cooling unit so im not sure if i can disconnect it completely.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Is this problem something you hear from the case , a fan revving all over the place, or something you noticed in Bios.   I would check your mobo manual where they show where the fan headers are located and physically, with Pc off, trace where the wire leads.     There is no easy answer with the info you provided.      Check which fan, or maybe the H80, hopefully not, is plugged their and let us know.   

The sound is a numbing constant sound thats not extremely loud but is just kind of there... It seems to be coming from the fan that is on the top of the system above my liquid cooling unit. The fan speed I noticed from bios, the visual speeds of all the fans seems to be fine as well as the temp readings.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:09pm
I'll see if I can upload a video to the forums, and the speeds as low as 12 rpm you would think would be very noticeable or easy to hear.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:51pm
Tough to tell from this perspective, but sounds like the H80 fans. Try unplugging each H80 fan from pump head individually to see if sound changes.   If it's not a grinding or grating sound, maybe just the 120mm fans being a little loud?   

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:42pm
By h80 fan do you mean the three large fans at the bottom of my computer?
Because this sound is most deffinetly coming from the very top fan directly above the mobo attached to the liquid cooling system.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:51pm
This happens on my friends mobo. It wont say the fan is spinning faster than 200 rpm when it definately is. As long as it doesn't overheat you should be fine.
Steam:pcmaster160

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:53pm
Ok thank you, theyre deffinetly above 200, each fan says its only going at 200 though
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:55pm
Thanks for reply.   I do mean the liquid cooling radiator/fans that connect to the Cpu /motherboard by cooling tubes. I guess they are mounted to the top, but not sure.   
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:57pm
I think it might be a issue with Asus motherboards as my friends is also Asus just z68. But they have the same general BIOS as yours
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Thanks for reply.   I do mean the liquid cooling radiator/fans that connect to the Cpu /motherboard by cooling tubes. I guess they are mounted to the top, but not sure.   
they can be mounted bottom and top depending on where there's air.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:02pm
The radiator fan setup from the way I see it is as so, There is a corsair fan on top of the radiator and then below the radiator there is another fan.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:03pm
So if you could picture it, its a fan sandwich with there being a fan on top, then radiator, then another fan.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:22pm
I think I prefer "Fan Sandwich" over "Push-Pull" actually. Smile
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:31pm
but the issue is that push pull works better with the cases overall airflow, but on radiators it doesnt really matter since they are usually in some corner.

Quote TortillaPicante Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 7:51pm
Lol no making fun Tidgxor
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:00am
a few weeks ago my fan readings were showing as 65,000 RPM's lol ... fan readings are not always correct as mentioned already
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by TortillaPicante

Lol no making fun Tidgxor

Oh I wasn't making fun, I actually like your phrase better Big%20Smile

And I wish my fans ran at 65,000rpm Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply