FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions/help with my build

Post Date: 2015-07-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snake86 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snake86 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestions/help with my build
    Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 12:47am
Well basically my old pc is finally going and I have decided it was time to build another one. I do not have a large amount of computer building knowledge so I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone had any suggestions for my build or that could just clear up a few things I'm stuck on.

Budget:Around 5k
Expectations:To be able to play the best games with no fps issues for if possible the next five years.
Usage: For the most part I will use this build for gaming and general web surfing.
Special Needs: I often game for long hours and it can get hot sometimes so what I really need is for this pc to have good air flow so it can stay cool.

Things I'm stuck on:
1.I'm not sure if I should go with 32gb of system memory or if 16gb would be fine.
2.I'm not sure if I should go with any chassis mods or if they would even apply with this build.
3.I'm also not sure if I should overclock further with my CPU.
4.Lastly I'm also not sure if I should overclock my graphic cards with my heat issues or if my build be able to properly keep it cool.

My Build:
System Configuration:Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK S (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) (FREE Upgrade to Windows 10)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Thanks for the Help

Edited by Snake86 - 14 Jul 2015 at 12:57am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 1:34am
1) No need for 32GB unless you are doing a lot of multi-tasking...game + many tabs in a web browser + etc.
2) No need for chassis mods with Velox unless you want a certain aesthetic
3) The CPU you have will already boost to 4.4 GHz out of the box and the ASUS motherboard has MultiCore Enhancement, up to you if you want DS to push the speed much
4) The Velox case has a lot of airflow through it, especially with the extra fans you have selected.

Keep in mind that with SLI GPUs, the NVMe SSD will be put into the PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot, which has half of the bandwidth the cards interface is good for. That means that sequential reads and writes will be limited to about half of their ratings. Random reads and writes, however are not bottlenecked by the interface, so you will still get fantastic performance. But, if you were to hold out until August 5th when the Z170 motherboards and i7-6700K and i5-6600K processors are released, they have additional PCI-e 3.0 slots via the chipset to handle the full bandwidth of the card.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 9:46am

With the Z97 only having 20 PCIe lanes will the lane allocation be: 8-GPU-1, 8-GPU-2, and the NVMe and all other functions share the remaining 4 lanes. Or will it be 8-GPU-1, 4-GPU-2, 4-NVMe, and 4 lanes for everything else.

Frank
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 10:31am
Frank,

The NVIDIA cards require a minimum of 8 PCI-e lanes in SLI, each (that's a hard minimum, you can't operate them on 4 lanes). AMD cards will operate on 4 lanes, but you start to see performance limitation when you restrict the bandwidth. Also, the way the motherboards are laid out, they will send 8 lanes to the first slot and have a lightweight switch send the remaining 8 lanes to either the first slot or the second slot.

The remaining 4 lanes from the processor, in Haswell and Broadwell, are PCI-e 2.0. They are (in the consumer space) always used as the DMI 2.0 interface to the chipset. The Chipset acts as a switch and has 8 lanes plus USB and SATA (some of those lanes may be used as extra SATA or USB) coming from it. 1 of those lanes will be for ethernet, and the remaining lanes will be split up amongst the I/O bridges, Wi-Fi, and other PCI-e slots. Some of the motherboards will use 4 of those lanes for a x4 PCI-e 2.0 slot for storage and network cards (most other kinds or cards do not need anywhere near the bandwidth...you could technically stick another NVIDIA card in it to act as a PhysX co-processor, but that just off-loads the physics processing from the GPUs processing the graphics for games that are using PhysX in their game engine). In Skylake, however, those extra 4 lanes will be PCI-e 3.0 (I'm guessing Intel will be calling the extended interface to the chipset DMI 3.0) where those lanes will be split into 26 High Speed I/O lanes, 20 of which can be PCI-e.

As you can see there are a lot of trade-offs as to how the I/O is allocated.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 1:20pm
Thanks,

It seems to me that the Z97 platform is not a good choice with a NVMe drive. The Z170 or X99 would be a better choice for NVMe drives??

Frank
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 1:40pm
X99 or the upcoming Z170 will give you a LOT more room to expand when working with a PCIe SSD and multiple GPUs.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 2:25pm
X99 can only support 1 NVMe drive through the chipset without the use of third party controllers. Z170 can support up to 3, but as you can see above, there must be some trade-offs made in order to accommodate that many. I think for the most part, you will see one, maybe two, available NVMe M.2 slots on consumer boards. I believe Intel prudently made the design choice to handle storage needs when SATA begins to be phased out in favor of NVMe, as flash replacement technologies are even faster than the current flash drives and will necessitate a fast interface to make best use of them.

Edit: I should add that Z97 can handle 1 NVMe device with the appropriate BIOS update, but you have to mind the PCI-e interface being used.

Edited by  - 14 Jul 2015 at 2:32pm
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 3:29pm
Once again... so much I dont know!   
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse