Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
markbrown View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote markbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Suggestions welcome
    Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:19pm
Budget:
$10K

Expectations:
I do not plan to upgrade MoBo/RAM/CPU/GPU parts, so I want these to last me the next three or four years.

Usage:
98% Linux uptime, rebooting into Windows for 4K/60Hz gaming the other 2%. The last time I bought I new PC, I built it myself in 2011; I am on a GTX 570 right now.

Special Needs:
Expect that all fan control and overclocking modifications are set (and persistent) outside of the OS, since I plan to wipe the drive upon receipt and use Linux 98% of the time, as listed above.

As mentioned, I'm currently on a {1x GTX 570, i7-2600K, 24 GB RAM} system that is starting to show its age. I do not plan to upgrade again for another four years, so plan to spend a lot on this system to have it last just as long. I think what I have outlined here is sufficient but would welcome any suggestions to changes with reasoning. Most of my storage is outside of this system via a NAS, so no need for more than the 400GB high-speed SSD. I run multiple VMs simultaneously, thus the need for the RAM. I have heard that a 2x SLI 980Ti is about the same as the 2x SLI TITAN X. Is that really true? Will it hold true a year from now with driver updates that may utilize the hardware differently?

I can't justify another $500 just to go up to a 5960X. Noise suppression is listed in case DigitalStorm finds a way to make it work in the Aventum III. Thoughts and/or improvements?

Saved Ticket #: 1286625

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) (FREE Upgrade to Windows 10)

Price: $9236 - $200 off = $9036 + $399 Freight shipping (Free shipping is only for Ground, and that's not available for the larger builds), free 4yr warranty upgrade = $9435

Edited by markbrown - 27 Sep 2015 at 4:28pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:46pm
You've got pretty much everything covered. The PSU is overkill for your system, but the higher power rating will allow the PSU fan to stay off a greater majority of the time when you load your system. If you aren't overclocking your RAM or are set on the aesthetics, you'll be fine with the LPX modules.

The video cards can be overclocked some, unless you are going to do it yourself in something like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner. The 980 Ti cards will give you the vast majority of the performance that the Titan X, only sacrificing an FPS or two...if you are a stickler for keeping framerate up, 4k/60Hz will drop down into the 40's on some games with SLI Titan X or 980 Ti's. The size of the VRAM isn't a big issue until you get to even higher resolutions. The power delivery circuitry is better on the 980 Ti Strix cards that can help overclocking and narrow the slight performance gap between the two chips.
markbrown View Drop Down

Quote markbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:57pm
Can you elaborate about the LPX modules? I'm not planning to overclock RAM and do not care too much about aesthetics. I didn't see another option for 64GB RAM with the configurator. I might even save a few hundred dollars by purchasing the RAM kit and installing it myself from Amazon; it was going for $700 recently and the DS price is more like $900.

As for GPU, maybe someday I'll try to overclock but have never done so in the past. I'll let DS worry about overclocking the CPU but I haven't mucked around with it before. Other than dusting/cleaning, I'd like it to be pretty maintenance free as my current system has been. I would build it myself, but I know DS will do a good job with the liquid cooling and case+airflow.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:11pm
The Vengence LPX modules are just Corsairs performance memory, as opposed to their ultra-performance memory, the Dominator Platinums. The Dominator memory has extended PCBs on which the memory modules are mounted for better heat dissipation when overclocking them and still using air to cool them. They also get a slightly better binning for silicon quality, but all of the modules should perform to their rated XMP 2.0 speed and latencies.

I guess it doesn't appear as though they have a 64GB set of LPX DIMMs, but they do have a general 64GB set; they should still perform to the rated speed. They're about $450 cheaper, but you don't know what they will look like aesthetically.

If you are going with a high overclock, as you have selected, I'd let DS handle the memory. The Integrated Memory Controller can be finicky when the processor is overclocked, affecting memory stability, especially when you have a large quantity of it at fairly fast speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply