FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summary of recommended configuration changes

Post Date: 2016-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tailhappy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tailhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Summary of recommended configuration changes
    Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 12:45pm
In preparation for my purchase I've been reading the advice on the other builds, and it seems like these are the usual recommendations that should be changed over the standard builds. Is this correct? If so, might be nice to have a sticky summarizing it so you don't have to answer the same thing over and over. Smile

Power Supply: Switch from the 750 B1 to the 750 EVGA SuperNOVA (more efficient and better warranty)

SSD: Switch to the Samsung for better warranty

HD: Western Digital Black (why, just warranty?)

GPU: Get the 1080 for best performance (10-20% more) if you can afford it, otherwise 1070 is probably currently the sweet spot for performance/cost

Cooling: Switch to h115i, possible problems in about 2 years with h100 and h110

Did I miss any other standard suggestions?

Thanks again for all the great advice on this forum!
Slade, i7 6700K 4GHz Stage 1 overclocked, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB WD Black Edition, Corsair H115i liquid, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 8:03pm
I recommend that you do the following if you want to create the right PC Configuration:

1. Provide the PC's Usage(Games, movies, stocks, work, etc.), Budget, and Quality(1080,1440,4k)

2. Understand that although the parts you selected were optimal for other people's configurations, it might not be ideal for your particular situation. For example, going with the gtx 1080 when you're only going to use a 1080p monitor is overkill. That graphics card could easily be used for 4k gaming. So, each configuration is done case by case.

*Note, I am in no way telling you to ignore comments about problematic parts or optimal ones.

3. You will want to speak with DST4ME, bprat22, or db188. I have learned a LOT from these three.

If you could at least do step #1, I could try to create a config for you and at least one of the three gurus will provide some feedback.

Edited by Batman34 - 17 Nov 2016 at 8:13pm
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
tailhappy View Drop Down

Quote tailhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Batman34

I recommend that you do the following if you want to create the right PC Configuration:

1. Provide the PC's Usage(Games, movies, stocks, work, etc.), Budget, and Quality(1080,1440,4k)

Thanks for the reply, wasn't particularly looking for advice on this thread, mainly was just trying to summarize the recommendations that should basically always be changed from the standard configuration.

Though having said that, this is what I plan to order in the morning:
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1527478
This is more of a business machine that I use on the side for gaming, so this config will more than cover the games I play on the side. Appreciate if you guys see anything I missed on the reliability or warranty side, tried to take that advice from the other threads. Of everything I'm most critical of the water cooling, is that likely to last 7 years? Thanks in advance!
Slade, i7 6700K 4GHz Stage 1 overclocked, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB WD Black Edition, Corsair H115i liquid, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
pharmx View Drop Down

Quote pharmx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 9:07pm
I noticed in your config you spec'd a 1070 even though in the OP you mentioned a 1080 card if it was within the budget. Since you mentioned this was for a business build with gaming on the side, I can see how this would make sense.

I ordered a 6700k/1080 build (1527424) for gaming just a little while ago, and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I suppose I could have "blinded" my rig out a bit more, but it should get the job done regardless.

As far as typical recommendations go, I went up 2 steps in the PSU instead of just bronze to gold. Mostly due to ignorance thought since I wasn't sure which models were fully modular, which efficiency was ideal, and how much wattage I would realistically need.
tailhappy View Drop Down

Quote tailhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:34pm
Was just comparing builds to be sure I didn't miss anything, and yours looks nice pharmx. Yeah, I figure I don't need the 1080 right now, so it'll be a much cheaper upgrade by the time I do need it. Well good luck on it arriving sooner rather than later, I still remember the thrill of the anticipation!
 Post Reply Post Reply