FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

supporting to other vendor cases?

Post Date: 2012-05-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yealpoong View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: supporting to other vendor cases?
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:36am
I am really looking for quiet case and found that fractal design XL USB3.0 titanium grey case is meeting my requriement.

Can DS build my pc with this case? Thanks
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:47pm
We can, but, it will be a little pricey as we have to special order it, etc... We do have a great number of cases that would honestly fit your needs and get you a great system. Have you seen the Digital Storm Slade in the Black|OPS section? It's based on the Corsair 550D which is very quiet as well and has some great features that even the Fractal Design XL doesn't have.

Here's a link to the Black|OPS line: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compblackops.asp

Click the gallery image for the Slade system.
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:14pm
I have looked at that. it is nice case however, I have looking for number of internal hard drives and spaces. and Fractal design is current choice.
Can you look at the following configuration and provide the new quote with fractal design XL USB3.0 titanium grey case (so just replacing storm trooper with fractal design case)? Thanks Alex

Ticket Number: 684626
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,201.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=684626

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Storm Trooper <b></b>
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 (PCI-Express Slot Based) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:24pm
It's going to cost around an extra $87 to special order that chassis based on your current selection for the Storm Trooper.
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:40pm
sounds good. How can I place an order with the case?
there is special assingnment field in order section. Can I mention our discussion and you can charge extra $87? Thanks Alex 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:50pm

You'll need to contact our team directly so we can put it in the order. Or, you can also place the order, and put notes about the special order case and the price I mentioned in two areas: (1) at the bottom of the configurator special notes area and (2) at the special notes box on the second page of checkout.

yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 3:13pm
placed an order and made special comments in 2 places (confirmation id AD3652176). I will check for the status of the new case next week. Thanks Alex for your help.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 3:16pm
You're welcome! Big%20Smile
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:52am
You have some problems with your build especially with the Factual case. The cooling of this case is poor and you are using a 3930 that generates a lot of heat. There is no place to mount H100 radiators so you will have to get the H80. With either the H80 or the D14 I don't think you will be able to get a stage 2 Over clock. Even if you add the second 140mm fan to the front and the 120mm to the side you will probably have temp problems with the system. The second 140mm front fan will do no good unless you remove the partition separating the PS section. I don't even know if you can do that.

You have a case with fairly poor cooling and you have selected the 690 GPU. One of the 680s on this card dumps all of its heat directly into the case. Just my opinion, but I think you should think a little more about your build before you proceed.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 07 May 2012 at 10:54am
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:33am

FranKW thanks for your point. My first priority is to get silent computer. If overclocking causes the problem, then I will talk to tech to disable the overclock.

Can you make any suggestion to build silent computer? Nomally I work at night so less noise is important.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:26pm
Hi jealpoong,

There is always a problem trying to build a performance computer and not have some level of noise. How you are going to use the computer has a lot to do with how much noise it makes. Will you use it for work functions or are you making a gaming computer. A gaming computer is always noisier when it is under heavy loads. I am not sure we can make a silent computer under gaming loads. Tell me a little more about how your use your computer and where is it located. That is, is it in a bed room and someone is sleeping in that room, or is it in a living room and someone is sleeping in a bedroom. Do you use ear phones or a speaker system?

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 07 May 2012 at 1:27pm
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:27pm
Most of time I will use this for the work however occasionally I will use for games such as nwn or dragon origins (I will be using 3 monitors either apple 27 inch or hp 30 inches)
I also play musics and movies through speakers
My current computer (about 5 years ago) is noisy so I have been having headache after 1hour

I am willing to take less powerful pc for silence
also I like fractal design case for space and supporting 10 drives ( I have some photos and documents to store) if you have any custom case for silence please let me know

Thanks

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:41pm
So what kind of work are you going to be doing? If you operate three 2550 monitors that raises the GPU requirement quite a bit. Are you rendering or other high CPU dependent work. Do you want to game across three monitors or just one monitor. What is your budget? Are you using a high gloss monitor right now?

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 07 May 2012 at 2:42pm
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:59pm
Photo design and plan to use maximize the resolution across 3 monitors for my work
I planed to use 3 monitors for gaming.
The budget is $ 4000
Yes I am using glossy monitor hp2711w and I like it except it s tn monitor so view angle is narrow
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:51pm
Hi yealpoong,

One more issue for you to think about, choice of graphics cards. I don't know what software you use for Photo design, but if those programs use the graphics cards for acceleration check to see which standards they follow. For example the Adobe graphics engines in CS6 now appear to use Open GL/CL, but
no longer Cuda, and the new Nvidia Kepler cards have low Open GL/CL performance. Substantially lower than not only the new AMD cards but also the older Nvidia Fermi cards. So if Photo design is going to be the major use for the computer make sure you pick the appropriate card.

Marty
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:03pm
Hi Martys

thanks for info. I prefer the nvdia graphics card because I had AMD cards and some issues. I use adobe but the photo design is not my main usage.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:59pm
I would personally recommend the Corsair 550D which is the Digital Storm Slade system.
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 5:45am
Alex, I will take a look at the case. in the web site, level 4 supports 680 GTX sli and 3930K overclock (with H100 liquid cool) (I am hoping that Fractal full tower case can support liquid cooling to cool down overclock and 690 GTX)

so does it mean that I can switch 680 GTX sli to 690 GTX?
Also the people in this forum mentioned that 550D case is not good for aircooling so I cannot use DH-14 aircooling fan?
I am concerned about liquid cooling because of risk of the leak. But you and brp22 said that this is sealed one and no maintenance required?

Thanks
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:37am
HI yealpoong,

Any case that uses 120mm/140mm fans will create more noise than a case using 200mm/230mm fans. The larger fans turn slower producing less noise. I don't know how to build a "silent" system. Much of the noise comes from the GPU under load. The fans speed up and you produce more noise. The best way to reduce the GPU noise is to liquid cool them. You don't have the budget to do that.

You are planning on working/gaming across three monitors that will have a resolution of 7860x1600. Sli 680 will not provide top performance with this monitor setup. When gaming you will have to turn down your AA settings. If you dropped back to three 24" monitors you will have much better gaming performance with SLI 680s. These cards are very good but they have their limitations.

In regards to getting a headache after gaming for an hour. You thought it was the noise. I think the glossy screen has a lot more to do with your headache than the noise.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 08 May 2012 at 8:44am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:45am
Just to add to Frank's comments...The 550D case is supposedly quiet until you remove the top acoustic panel for the H100.  If they mount the h100 to blow out then you will have a better airflow than stock case.  If they have to remove the side acoustic panel to add fans then all the noise muffling is gone.  Alex can either confirm this or correct me.  He does have access to the testing.

The H100 is a sealed unit, no maintenance and chance of leaks pretty small.  If it does leak then it is distilled water and non-conductive unless it gets contaminated.

Edited by bprat22 - 08 May 2012 at 8:45am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:50am
Hi bprat22,

I think DS mounts the H100 with the fans blowing in. Especially with the 3930 and its higher heat. They want the coolest air going through the rads. At least that was how they did it for a while. I am not sure about today.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:03am
I think you're right.  But, not sure in all cases. Maybe Alex can let us know.
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:42am

When I mentioned "silent" pc, I do not mean the complete noise free pc. what I mean is the reasonable quiet pc.

Currently I have 2 dell machinces. one is XPS 420 and other one is older machine (about 5 years old pc) which gives loud noise so I rarely use. To me, XPS 420 is quiet (except when fullly loaded, I heard some humming noise but this is acceptable) because XPS 420 is put aside under my desk, I rarely have had noise problem

Can 550D give more noise than XPS 420? Since my preference was aircooling, I was looking at coolmaster haf-x and cosmos ii (because of # hard drives), However, the revew in some article said that it generates loud noise. if haf-x or cosmos ii generates similar noise level than XPS 420, then I could use the case as well for the aircooling.

Thanks for your help/
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:58pm

I would recommend going with the HAF X and going with the H100. You'll be all set. You can also go with the Noise Suppression package (Stage 1) to ensure we reduce fan speeds as well.

Even with the HAF X, the system will still be quiet. You can also adjust the fan speeds on the H100 from low, medium, and high.

On the H100, it depends on the configuration, but, we usually blow out.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:43pm
Thankyou Alex It's fun but tough trying to keep up with all that DS offers it's customers.
josephlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote josephlee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:02pm
Yeah, all kinds of fun stuff!   
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:23pm
Hi yealpoong,

Now that we are not building a silent system take a look at this build. You can't play all games on extream with your monitor setup but you might be satisfied. I gave you a 1200w PS so you can add a third GPU if you decide you want better performance with three 2560 monitors.

Cost $3894 Confituration: 685861

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:51pm
Cool
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 5:44pm
Hi FrankW

Thanks for the suggestion.

The following is my change.
1. as I mentioned in the first message. I selected coolmaster stormtrooper (the reason is that the case supports more than 10 hard drives). Not sure which is better (haf-x or stormtrooper). Majority of the people in this forum choose haf-x.

2. changed the motherboard to Extreme IV from deluxe pro 
3. changed to GTX 690 from 680 X sli.
4. changed the power supply to 1000W.

I dont plan to add other GPU.

Also Alex suggests to add noise reduction package however I dont see your config.  
Please let me know if you have any suggestion.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:44am
Hi yealpoong,

The noise reduction that Alex suggested was turning down the fan speeds. That is up to you and you can add it. You can also change the fan speeds yourself.

The HAF-X has better cooling than the Storm Trooper and uses bigger, quieter fans. The Storm Trooper doesn't come with a side fan and the HAF-X comes with a 200mm side fan. If you get the Storm Trooper you will have to add a 120mm fan to the side.   I don't understand your need for 10+ HDD. What in the world are you going to do with 30Tb of storage?

You want a quiet system but you are going with a 690 GPU. Your case cooling will have to be higher to accommodate the increased heat in the case. The SLI 680 is a much better choice.

If you want 1000w PS then get the Corsair 1050w PS. It is a better PS and has a much better warranty from Corsair.

You still haven't addressed that SLI 680's (or one 690) won't run three 2560 resolution monitors very well.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 09 May 2012 at 6:51am
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:21am

Hi FrankW

I have some 10 TB of worth data in special tower hd boxes. So, I am thinking about moving the data into the new computer. that is the reason why I was looking for many HDD.

as you suggest, I may need to go for HAF-X.(How about cosmos-ii. is it not good for aircooling? )

In terms of video card, I can live without max resolution.
I did not realize the 690 GTX generates more heat than 680 GTX sli.

I will update my config based on your suggestion and plan to place an order this week unless you have more suggestion.

Thanks for your help

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:38am
Hi yealpoong....Frank is giving some great advice.   What is meant about the heat of the 690 vs 680 is that the 690 doesn't generate more heat but it does kick more heat into the case.  A gtx 680 is vented on the backplate to push air out of the case.  The gtx690, really two 680's in one, has a radial fan mounted in the middle of both heat sinks.  The heat from one heatsink vents out the back like the 680 but the heat from the second heatsink is pushed into the case. 

Hope this helps.
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:43am
Hi bprat22

Got it. Thanks for your explanation. it is great to have you guys insights.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:42am
Hi yealpoong,

bprat22 is exactly right. It is the mechanical design than causes more heat to be feed directly into the case instead of out the back plate like a single GPU cards.

The problem with your monitors can't be resolved by playing at a lower resolution. Todays monitors are made for the best performance at the native resolution of the monitor. The monitors you have chosen have a native resolution of 2560. The three monitors together will have a resolution of 7680x1600. What you will have to do with gaming is turn the setting like AA down to zero. You won't see the full beauty of the game. Or, you can only use one monitor to game with. Then you will be alright. Gaming across three monitors can be a pain anyway. I know that some do it. But, think about if you have your cursor on the left hand side of the 1st monitor and you need to move all the way to the right side of the third monitor. That is a long way to move a cursor and I can't do it quickly. But I am old.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 09 May 2012 at 8:52am
yealpoong View Drop Down

Quote yealpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:49am
Hi FrankW

If this is case, I may play the game with single monitor and for the work, I will use triple monitor.
Then single 680 GTX is enough? Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>