FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Switching from Mac...

Post Date: 2015-03-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pjnormz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pjnormz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switching from Mac...
    Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 5:15am
I am an editor/filmmaker in need of an upgrade from my fully upgraded mid 2010 mac pro. I was going to get the new trash can, until I read tons of problems with the new macs working with Adobe. That lead me to the PC world and by high recommendation from my peers, to DS.

Since this is my first custom build, any and all feedback is much appreciated. Am I overdoing it with the HydroLux? Am I right for going with the TITAN Z over the K4 or 50000?

One thing I am clear on is my drive set up. The 1st 256gb SSD is for programs, the 2xHDDs are for video files, stock, audio, and the other 256gb SSD is for cache.

Thanks in advance!

Budget:
~$8-10k

Expectations:
A smooth transition with a beast of a machine that can handle 4k workloads.

Usage:
Video production: specifically 4k footage using adobe suite & plugins, resolve, etc. for video production.

Saved Ticket #: 1157227

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish with Red Stand
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: 1x (Intel Xeon 10-Core E5-2690 v2 3.0GHz (25MB Cache) (Ivy Bridge-EP) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79-E WS (Intel X79 Chipset) (Workstation Class)
System Memory: 64GB DDR3 (Server/Workstation ECC Registered) 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (8GBx8 Config) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: Dual Solid State Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO) <br><strong></strong>
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs) <br><strong></strong>
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12GB (Outputs: 1x DVI-I ; 1x DVI-D ; 1x DisplayPort ; 1x HDMI) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <br><strong></strong>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Option Not Available
Boost Graphics Card(s): Option Not Available
Boost Memory: Option Not Available
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:53pm
I did some research and talked to a couple of friends who use MACs - 1 artist and 1 who does film making / editing and we all agreed on one thing...... If you get it and don't like it, can we have it?   

It looks like a solid build and the titan Z with the memory and cuda cores it has should be great.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:05am
Definitely a solid setup!
pjnormz View Drop Down

Quote pjnormz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Pacesetter

I did some research and talked to a couple of friends who use MACs - 1 artist and 1 who does film making / editing and we all agreed on one thing...... If you get it and don't like it, can we have it?   

It looks like a solid build and the titan Z with the memory and cuda cores it has should be great.

LOL. You got it! Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply