FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

System depreciation after a year

Post Date: 2015-05-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jerrytt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jerrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: System depreciation after a year
    Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:07pm
I'm considering a Hailstorm II system (about $5300). I'm concerned about it losing its value of say, ONE YEAR from now. Anyone have an idea of what it would be worth to sell outright if I'm considering getting a newer model at that time? In an expert's opinion: What can it be sold for (after 1 yr's depreciation)?
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:09pm
You can look at ebay for ideas, but you almost always take a dunking (bath) on electronics.

The PC is considerably more pricey than it's parts. My $6000+ Velox I bought early this year is more like $3500 in parts. You think I could get even $3500? I don't

It's only worth what people will pay, and I suspect people with spare cash buy new or build, and people with limited funds are not looking for high end systems

I looked on ebay, and saw few DSs for sale so hard to say what you can get. You can't get more than people are willing to pay, and most people seem to be disdainful of used PCs

I did not even consider selling my old PC in spite of it's dual GTX 780 GPUs as I suspected I could not get more than $500 for it.

IMO, do not buy any PC if worried about depreciation. Instead, lower your spec to a mid build, then replace it as needed ( or just replace the video card.)

I bought my $6000 Velox with the assumption that was $6000 of self indulgence that was not even worth half that to most people and I think I am on target
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:51pm
++1

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

You can look at ebay for ideas, but you almost always take a dunking (bath) on electronics...

This.

I never even consider resale value on any electronics I buy, especially computers.  Rather I hand them down to my children.  My son has my last laptop right now, and if that lasts him long enough, he may well get my Krypton when I replace that.  Other electronics I might sell cheap on Craigslist or just donate.

Unfortunately, it's nothing like selling a car a few years down the line.
jerrytt View Drop Down

Quote jerrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:38pm
I understand. It's just that my friend "inherited it" after their son's death and at $5300 and used for 1 month and their aged 75, the money could go toward the son's expenses, not needing to use it themselves as a powerful gaming machine.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:06pm
As michaeljhuman said, you can try eBay.  There's also Craigslist.  I'm not sure if Gazelle.com takes PCs, but they might.

I understand that they don't have a use for that powerful a machine, but we're just letting you know that resale of PCs or any electronics results in huge depreciation.  The only way they might get lucky is if someone they know is interested and willing to pay more than usual since they can see the device right there.  Any of their son's friends have similar interests to what he had?
 Post Reply Post Reply