FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Beginnings of a Review

Post Date: 2008-10-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Iraq Now View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iraq Now Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: The Beginnings of a Review
    Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 5:43pm
Ok, hey to all the peeps I know on the forum, and hello to all the ones I dont.

Now, to give some background, I have been "ordering" my computer since August. There was a special back then that I jumped on, thanks to Harleyman, , and have been dealing with DS via phone and email since then.

--Prebuy and the "I don't wanna spend money" jitters--

Since it was a clearance computer I was refered to Jason as my primary handler. After sending emails back and forth and calling several times, I found out who Jason was lol. Which was cool for me, and made me like DSO even more. For those of you who do not know, Jason is a part owner of the company. I thought it was pretty awesome that he would take the time to discuss with me all my options, and reply to some, even I have to admit, retarded emails (an example question that I asked, "whats benchmarking and do I need it?"). Thankfully Jason was able to keep his cool when dealing with a computer illiterate like me. Not once did he try to get me to buy something extra to add a little more money to his company, and when I switched some stuff on the order, he explained what each difference did "in the big picture" of my computer. I ended up keeping everything the same as it was listed in the Sale section. So, all in all, I am extremly happy with the pre-buy portion of customer service with this company. It is literally second to none.

Checkout-

Since I am deployed to Iraq my mailing addy and my shipping addy was obviously not the same. No way in hell was I going to have a brand new computer shipped over here where dust gets into EVERYTHING. So, I like Jail Bird, was told that I needed to send a copy of my License and some other personal info to them via fax. Well, here comes Iraq again. We dont have any access whatsoever to a fax over here. After talking to jason several more time, it was agreed that I could email it in. Now, I am not a big fan of sending stuff like that via email, but I did it anyway. Thankfully, nothing has come from it (I have been watching like a hawk).
     Being in Iraq, I asked if I could just put a deposit down on the computer to show that I was serious about buying it, and pay the rest off once I got back Stateside. Jason said no problem, and we made that heppen fairly quickly. Recently I was talking to him again about paying the remainder off ,since I am heading home soon, but was a little leery of sending my CC info over the email (I didnt have access to a phone at the time). So, I asked about Paypal instead of the CC, and Jason said (this is a copy/paste from the email)"It's up to you. If the Pay Pal account has a verified address on it, that should work fine." Completly Awesome. Luckily they still had my Credit stuff on file, and I ended up paying that way (no need to send the info again). It was nice though, to have the option available to me.

---The Rig---
22" Samsung LCD
450si Case
750w Corsair PSU
Q9450 O/C 3.2
750i MB
2GB 1066 Dominator
2x 8800GT
Stage 3 Air Cooling (Noise doesnt bother me, I have a HUGE speaker setup so never notice it)

---The Pron----

Well, turns out my camera got screwed up in shipment from Iraq, so its not working now. Kinda sucks, but I pride myself on writing skills so let me paint you a pic. Imagine the 450i case in silver not black (see pic below) and out of all the side (and graphics) comes a tourquise light. It looks incredible. Its a bit gayer, I know not pc but i dont care, than I thought, bc I asked for the green lights, I didnt know though that the stage 3 cooling lights are all blue. sSo the Green and Blue make...Tourquoise. I wouldnt have bought it that way, but it looks awesome. The designs on the case look kinda like tribal tatoos, so they are pretty cool, and all glowy they are awesome.

****COMING SOON***

POST BUY----

After I got my rig, I opened it up and couldnt stop smiling. I opened it up, saw a few things that had come loose in shipment, and fixed them, and prepared to fire it up. Well, me being not so tech savvy I screwed somethiong up. The SLI bridge was upside down (one of the peices I re-installed) so the moniter wouldnt work. I called DSO and got in touch with Eric on Columbus Day. Thats right the day all you had off, that hapless dude was answering super newb questions like....what port does the moniter go into on a 4 port syster (turns out with SLI and 8800GTs moniter goes on top left). I also asked "Do I need to turn off the comp to unplug/replug the moniter?" I am really sorry but I am super newb lol. Anyways, I get the moniter working pretty soon (by putting the SLI bridge right side up, Thanks Chris for not blasting me about that)But my mic is a mess. I am not sure if it was meant this way or not, but I have like 4 mic inputs on my case. there is one on the front and 3 on the back. So, I downlod Vent real fast (I was anxious to try Warhammer on this comp) and proceed with my VOIP chatting. But I get no output. I tried originally to plug into the mic port on the front, but it didnt work, so I went through each port on the back, thinking that something might have been miswired, but nothing worked. So, at 9pm I resolved that I would call DS gain in the morning and see what was going on. Well, I woke up that fine tuesday morning, and thought to myself "let me check it one more time before calling". As it turns out I am a idiot. I plugged my speakers in first, andd looking the way I was I was unable to see the mic post. So , i plugged it in and it worked, disaster averted lol.

All in all I have had a excellent experience with this company, and cannot recommend them enough. I am really looking forward to upgrading in a few years, and dealing with this company again. Take care everyone, and have a great day.

Matt

This is the 450SI case :)

Edited by Iraq Now - 15 Oct 2008 at 5:12pm
"Thick as your thumb?Now, you can't do much damage with that now can you? Maybe it should have been rule of wrist instead!" Boondock Saints
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 5:47pm
Nice review boss , air cooled or liquid cooled?
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 7:34pm
Very nice Matt! What is the 450si Case? Can't wait to see pics! I'm glad to hear you're coming home, I was in Iraq 05-06 in good ol'e Mosul.....what a crappy place. My laptop crapped out over there from all the dust/sand. I couldn't wait to get home.

Stay safe and keep your head down!
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
Costone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Costone Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 11:34pm
Nice going Matt! Good to know that Maj. Goodies await you upon your return Ouch. You'll love the rig.....!
Velox X | ASUS Prime X670-P | AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 64GB DDR5 5200 | 2TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | RTX 4070 Ti | 850W PSU

Iraq Now View Drop Down

Quote Iraq Now Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 9:11am
It is air cooled. I dont really do anything on it to justify getting it liquid cooled, so I saved a couplea bucks on that.
"Thick as your thumb?Now, you can't do much damage with that now can you? Maybe it should have been rule of wrist instead!" Boondock Saints
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 1:08pm
Ah thank's for the pics matt! I recognize that case now.
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
Clinton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Clinton Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 2:29pm
450Si was an old case that used to be offered. It was on the DSO Lite configuration. It's a really cool looking case when it's lit up.
Iraq Now View Drop Down

Quote Iraq Now Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 9:25pm
KK, update, my computer arrived at my house today, but I wasnt here bc of work. I got called in, which really really sucks. They are going to be re-delivering it on Monday, and I cannot wait. I have told me appt manager to sign for it if it comes when I am not here.

So, I will soon have a new computer and I can not wait. seriously it keeps me up at night.

Matt
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 9:41pm
Glad to hear you are back IN

can't wait to see pics of your pc man
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 9:42pm
congrats man ConfusedConfusedConfused
13cizma View Drop Down

Quote 13cizma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 12:12am
Just sleep thru the rest off the days till monday. You'll need the wake up time once you probably get your DS. Heart

I'm Doing the same thing. lol WAITING.....
 Post Reply Post Reply